Most reliable cars report from Consumer Reports

Think of the cool gadgets we all love, this would be the place to post about them.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Most reliable cars report from Consumer Reports

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:51 pm

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Consumer Reports has just released this year's ratings of the most and least reliable new cars and carmakers. There are some big changes this year, with Infiniti dropping most dramatically in the ranks.

The most reliable new car you can buy is the Scion xB. That's according to Consumer Reports' reliability survey, which shows data on over a million vehicles. And there's data on 28 brands as well.

Once again the most reliable brands are dominated by the Japanese, with Lexus, Toyota and Mazda taking the top three spots. Honda came in at number four.

The four least reliable brands are Dodge, Ram, Jeep and Fiat, all owned by Chrysler.

Consumer Reports says Chrysler has traditionally had more than its fair share of trouble, and with the addition of Fiat in the mix, it really has not helped. In fact the new Fiat 500L is ranked the least reliable car out of the 248 that Consumer Reports rated.Some American brands did well.

Lincoln shot up 12 spots this year and Buick made it into the Top 10 list of reliable brands. It is the only American car to do so. GM has been one of the better domestic brands in terms of reliability. And Buick has often been its top brand.

The most reliable SUVs are the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, the Subaru Forester, the Toyota Highlander and the Lexus RX.A few first-year cars, such as the Mazda6 and Kia Cadenza, got high marks for reliability. But most didn't.

So if you're looking for a reliable car, Consumer Reports says that it's really not best to buy a car that's in its first year of the redesign. Wait a year or two until they work out some of those bugs. Case in point, the redesigned Chevrolet Silverado, which Consumer Reports' research shows had lots of problems in its first year.

Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks and electronic gear, are available onConsumer Reports' website. Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Most reliable cars report from Consumer Reports

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Here's my shocked face.....
:llama:

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Consumer Reports sucks ass.
Every appliance I bought for my first house was shit as well as my lawn mower. They rated all this stuff as ''Best" whatever, but IMHO, their opinions suck dirty assholes.
As far as their vehicle ratings go, they suck as well.
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/8551685 ... index.html

You fill out a survey, whether you own a vehicle or not, and they rate your survey. BS science.
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips-ar ... rts-biased

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Toddstang wrote:Consumer Reports sucks ass.
Every appliance I bought for my first house was shit as well as my lawn mower. They rated all this stuff as ''Best" whatever, but IMHO, their opinions suck dirty assholes.

You fill out a survey, whether you own a vehicle or not, and they rate your survey. BS science.

hater
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:03 am

All I can say is, I own a Forester...

Aloha Snack-bar!!!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am

Remember flipping through their car buying guide a while back and what caught my eye was two very different ratings on two cars, one with an American nameplate the other with a Japanese nameplate. Can't remember now exactly the cars, Chrysler Laser and a Mitsubishi something or another, but they were at the time the exact same car made in the exact same factory using the exact same parts put together by the exact same people, only different between the two cars were a few cosmetic pieces and the nameplate. Despite all that the one with the American nameplate had a worst than avg reliably rating and a few pages over the one with the Japanese nameplate had a better than avg reliably rating. Not bias my ass.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 pm

WLJ wrote:

Remember flipping through their car buying guide a while back and what caught my eye was two very different ratings on two cars, one with an American nameplate the other with a Japanese nameplate. Can't remember now exactly the cars, Chrysler Laser and a Mitsubishi something or another, but they were at the time the exact same car made in the exact same factory using the exact same parts put together by the exact same people, only different between the two cars were a few cosmetic pieces and the nameplate. Despite all that the one with the American nameplate had a worst than avg reliably rating and a few pages over the one with the Japanese nameplate had a better than avg reliably rating. Not bias my ass.
That's like Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape are the same things.
People who buy foreign brands probably pussyfoot around and baby the cars. The ford dodge and chevy crowd are jacking the trucks up, off roading, hauling boats, and racing the cars. I have 3 ford's, all between 200,000 and 250,000 miles on them. More about maintenance and less about brand.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Yep,
When The Louisville Assembly Plant made the Ford Explorer and Mazda Navajo CS gave the Navajo SUV runner up for the year and thumbs down to the Explorer. Same exact vehicle, different name badges.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Honda had a run of bad tranny's in the mid- 2000's across all models; had a bad casting for the engine blocks on Civics about the same time- they would crack within a year off the lot...
Toyota V6's were mated to a bad run of transmissions 1 or 2 years in a row...

a friend had a 2000-ish Ford Focus he put over 300,000 miles on before he upgraded to a wagon version for more room.

I had a Chrysler T&C minivan that had a 50k service-life transmission by design

I also had a Nissan Quest minivan, 3.5 liter they put plastic cam-chain tensioners in it, and the plastic they used was too soft and wore out between 40-60k miles; $1,800 replacement job.

they all suck in some area

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:28 pm

This thread is filled with biased "ford" people!

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:26 pm

And everyone assumes ford is "American"

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Not the point of made here or parts from there.
The point is its "Consumer Reports" meaning any douche canoe with a pen or pencil can fill out their quarterly questionnaires and put what ever they want down for questions that wont even apply to them.
Say you own a 1978 Subaru Brat. You get the new car survey from CS in the mail and you think "What the Hell, Lets have some fun" and fill out that you have a 2015 Nissan and a 2015 Porsche.
Its not rocket science.
Motor Trend and Car and Driver are your most reliable sources for reliability and reviews.
When I subscribed to CS back in the 80's and early 90's those questionnaires were as if a 6th grade drop out had written them.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Anybody here a subscriber to CR? I don't know anybody that gets their magazine

Aloha Snack-bar!!!

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:18 am

I subscribe to the online version for 6.95 a month whenever we are looking for cars. I have found their ratings to be pretty reliable personally. For instance when we bought the bmw it said it would be a maintenance nightmare and it is. It gave specific ratings on my Honda Accord that were true and still are ten years later.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:46 am

I like older BMW's and my buddy has 1984 318i that he calls "B"ig "M"oney "W"orry.

Return to “Other guy stuff”