Cuts of meat too smoke?

Got a favorite recipe? Tailgating idea? Backyard brick oven? Post up here.
Dashammer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Cuts of meat too smoke?

Post by Dashammer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:03 am

Hey, what are some other good cheap cuts of meat to smoke other than ribs and briskets. All ready done those several time and I am looking to do something different for the 4th. Any finished product pics, info, rubs, and cook time would be helpful.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Cuts of meat too smoke?

Post by irishrob » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:05 am

I usually do Boston butt for pulled pork bbq. Cheap cut that ends up being very tender if smoked long enough.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 am

Chicken wings, Turkey, Chicken
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Any part of the whole pork shoulder , cook to 200 deg internal temp and it will just fall apart.

For all pork i use a paprika and brown sugar based rub, 2 parts sugar to 1 part paprika. I like pork unsauced, good bbq will syand on its own though can be sauced if the consumer desires. You can add things to your rub like ground red pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder , onion powder, and so on to suit your own tastes.

I soak overnight in cherry dr pepper and kosher salt.

Mop with apple juice , vinegar , with a bit of your rub thrown in to keep ot moist.

Cook to 140 internal temp with smoke, then place in a pan and cover with foil until it reaches 200, dont pour out the liquid, that will keep it moist even for leftovers.

Plan on 10 to 14 hours depending on size, but you need only smoke it till you reach 140, after that you can finish it in the oven on 225 if that proves easier.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Chicken gets cooked at 275 or even 280. I prefer thighs for smoking and will season with cajun seasonings.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Deer legs are also delicious smoked. Keep the temps low and don't overcook. 125-130 degrees is all it needs.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:24 pm

SOL nailed it. I coat pork in yellow mustard, then season. Spray with apple juice about 4 times as it cooks. Makes a great bark
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Marcus wrote:Deer legs are also delicious smoked. Keep the temps low and don't overcook. 125-130 degrees is all it needs.
I need to try that
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:37 am

Ended up doing a slab of pork ribs Saturday, they where chipote miranaded from the store. They ended up looking and tasted F"en outstanding. Should have took a picture, (but forgot). Planning on doing a eye of round
roast on the 4th (will be using SOL dry rub susgestion). I think I have cracked the code on cooking/smokeing on a standard round grill. Snake method for carcoal, and wet wood chips in double tinfoil tub. Ended up cooking/smokeing for 5 hours (maybe cooked them alittle hot). Going to increase the length of snake by half and reduce the stack of carcoal by about a 1/3. I think I can get 10 hours of real low and slow that way. Will post a pic this time.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:44 am

I do pork ribs in the 3-2-1 method, its just too fool proof to mess up. 3 hours on the smoke at 225, 2 hours wrapped in foil at 225, and 1 hour at 225 without the foil. I like to see a rack that will bend when picked up and see the bone ends almost coming through the meat. Dont cook them to long, you should be able to bite through the meat and pull every bit off the bone, but they should not fall off the bone. Same rub as the pork butt, served dry or honey glazed.

Return to “Grills/Smokers/Outdoor Living”