School me on long eye relief optics

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
badvoltron
Little Butthole
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 44 times

School me on long eye relief optics

Post by badvoltron » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:17 am

Been thinking about maybe trying one lately on a rifle on a very forward mounting position.

I see some generic internet articles talking about long eye relief optics, and they say anything over 4 inches or over is a long eye relief optic. But im looking at a leupold that has 9.5 -11 inch eye relief. Im curious about those on the longer side.

How do I even search for these things? It seems sometimes they are referred to as scout scopes but most of those are only about 4x magnification, is that just due to the nature of long eye relief?

I would really like to know how I can identify these models so I can read more about them. Any manufactures in particular? Should I be looking at pistol scopes?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: School me on long eye relief optics

Post by WLJ » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:30 am

badvoltron wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:17 am
Been thinking about maybe trying one lately on a rifle on a very forward mounting position.

I see some generic internet articles talking about long eye relief optics, and they say anything over 4 inches or over is a long eye relief optic. But im looking at a leupold that has 9.5 -11 inch eye relief. Im curious about those on the longer side.

How do I even search for these things? It seems sometimes they are referred to as scout scopes but most of those are only about 4x magnification, is that just due to the nature of long eye relief?

I would really like to know how I can identify these models so I can read more about them. Any manufactures in particular?
On scout mount scopes a mag greater than 4x can result in a really small hard to find eye box although you will find some scout mount scope that go up 7x or so. Just becomes a PITA to find the right spot with those so 4x is a good happy medium. Besides almost the whole point of scout mounting a scope is quick sighing and higher magnifications tends to slow that down. So yeah, most will be 4x or lower.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:42 am

Thanks for clearing that up

Is it a harder to acquire the reticle and target with that increased eye relief? In my mind it has to be slower than having the scope in your face.
Last edited by badvoltron on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:47 am

badvoltron wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:42 am
Thanks for clearing that up

Is it a lot harder to acquire the reticle and target with that increased eye relief? In my mind it has to be slower than having the scope in your face.
~2.5x it's quite fast, faster than with a normal mount, almost red dot fast, which is really the whole point of a scout mount. Why when you do see them it will be most often on survival and bear protection type rifles. Just when you gets into high mags it gets slower.
Last edited by WLJ on Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:49 am

Gotcha, I think you may have talked me into trying a handgun scope on my 44 revolver just for the science and giggles.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:58 am

badvoltron wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:49 am
Gotcha, I think you may have talked me into trying a handgun scope on my 44 revolver just for the science.
Just watch the magnification. Are you looking for speed or accuracy?

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:03 am

Just curious about all things firearm related, its why you see me sell so much, Im still in that new guy phase of just wanting to experience everything. I buy a fair amount that doesnt make the long term cut.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:11 am

badvoltron wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:03 am
Just curious about all things firearm related, its why you see me sell so much, Im still in that new guy phase of just wanting to experience everything. I buy a fair amount that doesnt make the long term cut.
That doesn't really change with experience, in fact it may get worse :lol:
These users liked the author WLJ for the post:
badvoltron
Rating: 12.5%

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:20 am

Also I should mention my eyes are absolute shit for red dots. I see like a 45 degree line with starbursts along it instead of a dot. I can use them ok-ish to about 50 yards out with practice, some are worse than others.

Im decent with my one holo, indoors it gives me a bit of trouble but outdoors I see a dot just fine.

So just exploring everything outside of them to the fullest. Been playing around a lot with different iron sights lately on everything. Prism scopes are my jam but you cant long eye relief those… so just curious to try a long eye relief scope on something.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by plumber_bob » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:30 am

badvoltron wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:20 am
Also I should mention my eyes are absolute shit for red dots. I see like a 45 degree line with starbursts along it instead of a dot. I can use them ok-ish to about 50 yards out with practice, some are worse than others.

Im decent with my one holo, indoors it gives me a bit of trouble but outdoors I see a dot just fine.

So just exploring everything outside of them to the fullest. Been playing around a lot with different iron sights lately on everything. Prism scopes are my jam but you cant long eye relief those… so just curious to try a long eye relief scope on something.
You sure that you don't have it mounted backwards!?!?!?

:llama:

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:44 am

Fuck you bob.

lol

plumber_bob