Optic mounts. Educate me

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Optic mounts. Educate me

Post by KYgundude » Thu May 04, 2023 12:35 pm

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/red-d ... -blue.html

Are these things safe? Not sure how I feel about my RDS plate being only secured in the rear by the dovetail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Optic mounts. Educate me

Post by WLJ » Thu May 04, 2023 12:57 pm

From the instructions it appears to have a set screw* similar to the Leupold DeltaPoint which mounts the same way so it should be okay if they did it right..
Other than that it looks a bit high to me and holsters may or may not be a issue

*loctite is your friend
Last edited by WLJ on Thu May 04, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Thu May 04, 2023 1:03 pm

I’m not sure what you think would be unsafe about it. Is it just holding zero that might be unsafe? Of course, sending lead into the proper target is most important, I haven’t seen or heard of it dovetail plates being unsafe. I have thought about that as an option for a pistol that doesn’t have another mounting option but that pistol is not something I would ever carry. There’s a lot of plates out there that mount like that. They seem to lock up well with flat top type slides. I’m not sure about rounded slides.
Using Tapatalk

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Thu May 04, 2023 1:14 pm

WLJ wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:57 pm
From the instructions it appears to have a set screw* similar to the Leupold DeltaPoint which mounts the same way so it should be okay if they did it right..
Other than that it looks a bit high to me and holsters may or may not be a issue

*loctite is your friend
Not for Carry. Range toy. Not clear where the set screw would go. Can you elaborate? My concern is thatit doesn't appear secured on the front and was worried about the torque from muzzle flip doing damage to the plate or the gun at the dovetail.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Thu May 04, 2023 2:16 pm

I have a mount like that on a Ruger MKII .22lr but it doesn't move. I'm sure it would be okay on a moving slide I just wouldn't like the idea of it. I'm sure so many people wouldn't have slides cut if this worked great.

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Thu May 04, 2023 2:30 pm

KYgundude wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:57 pm

*loctite is your friend
Not for Carry. Range toy. Not clear where the set screw would go. Can you elaborate? My concern is thatit doesn't appear secured on the front and was worried about the torque from muzzle flip doing damage to the plate or the gun at the dovetail.
The ones made for glock typically have a piece that pushes in like a rear sight that the plate is mounted to with screws. The front is free floating and not secured to the firearm.
Using Tapatalk

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Thu May 04, 2023 3:41 pm

Like WLJ said....loctite.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Thu May 04, 2023 3:55 pm

Thanks for all the info folks

Return to “Optics”