Primary Arms 4-14x44 MIL-MIL FFP opinions

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by CCRBUM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 pm

contemplating getting one of these.. currently have a nikon monarch 3 4-16x50 with BDC reticle... thinking of going to a mil reticle... any thoughts? advice? an no... I don't have $1K to spend on a scope right now lol... I've got three kids to feed and a tight budget!!! just toying with ideas at this point :)

DDgunslinger

Re: Primary Arms 4-14x44 MIL-MIL FFP opinions

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:49 pm

I'd also check out Vortex as another option, the quality of glass and overall products is much better. Now with that said, primary arms makes some good budget optics, I've messed with most of their red dots. I don't have any hands on with their magnified optics though...

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:50 pm

I don't have one of these, but the 3 different PA scopes I've had have been fantastic for the money...

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:03 pm

I'm not going to badger you with the whole "what is your purpose" mantra and question why you want those features. Let's just say you will be sorely disappointed moving from that Nikon to PA. It's on par with BSA.

All those features for $200 doesn't leave room for quality in any area. Vortex Viper, Bushnell Elite Tactical, SWFA SS Classic, and Sightron SIII are the best optics for your buck. Quality in the $2-300 range comes with fixed magnification.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:38 pm

The SCAR I recently traded for has one of these on it. IMO, it isn't bad by any stretch. I shot it down at the last shoot and was happy with the clarity. I also took it out to Open Range last week and zeroed the scope a little better. With a couple quick adjustments, I was shooting 2-3" groups at a hundred yards. I feel like a little more tweaking it would be easy to shoot much smaller groups. It's not a bad value, IMO. Do I operate? Ummm, no. I did stay at a holiday inn express though.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:02 pm

PDM wrote:I'm not going to badger you with the whole "what is your purpose" mantra and question why you want those features. Let's just say you will be sorely disappointed moving from that Nikon to PA. It's on par with BSA.

All those features for $200 doesn't leave room for quality in any area. Vortex Viper, Bushnell Elite Tactical, SWFA SS Classic, and Sightron SIII are the best optics for your buck. Quality in the $2-300 range comes with fixed magnification.
Hardy ever hear anything bad about PA red dot and scopes, some of their stuff is surprising good. I would rate them way higher than BSA.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:The SCAR I recently traded for has one of these on it. IMO, it isn't bad by any stretch. I shot it down at the last shoot and was happy with the clarity. I also took it out to Open Range last week and zeroed the scope a little better. With a couple quick adjustments, I was shooting 2-3" groups at a hundred yards. I feel like a little more tweaking it would be easy to shoot much smaller groups. It's not a bad value, IMO. Do I operate? Ummm, no. I did stay at a holiday inn express though.
A couple of people commented on how clear and sharp your scope was and thought it was some high end high price brand and were surprised when they saw it said PA on the side..
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:The SCAR I recently traded for has one of these on it. IMO, it isn't bad by any stretch. I shot it down at the last shoot and was happy with the clarity. I also took it out to Open Range last week and zeroed the scope a little better. With a couple quick adjustments, I was shooting 2-3" groups at a hundred yards. I feel like a little more tweaking it would be easy to shoot much smaller groups. It's not a bad value, IMO. Do I operate? Ummm, no. I did stay at a holiday inn express though.
Sorry for the side track OP

Keep in mind the rounds used will also make a difference, 147gr ball ammo will probably not be nearly as accurate as a match grade 172gr BTHP out of your Scar.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:34 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:
Sorry for the side track OP

Keep in mind the rounds used will also make a difference, 147gr ball ammo will probably not be nearly as accurate as a match grade 172gr BTHP out of your Scar.
Noted.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:34 pm

That SCAR/FN forums give big props to 155/168gr A-max ammo.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:16 pm

I have 2 of the PA 4-14FFP scopes, both have been 100% reliable and well capable of there intended use.

The clicks are a bit mushy and they are pretty light but they function fine. The glass is not great but compares with most optics in that price range. Glass as a whole is getting pretty good and you really got to get a crap scope to find unsuitable glass though some may be better then others. The mill turrets are accurate as far as I have dialed (About 810 meters), both reside on AR15s.

Overall I feel they are on par with the SWFA ss fixed power series , they are variable power with soft clicks, the SS is fixed power with great clicks.

For my use either the PA or the SS suit all my needs and while I long after other optics , I could not really justify spending more.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Glad yours worked SoL. I never could get one to return to zero reliably.

CCRBUM
What do you plan on mounting it to? Like others have said, it would work just fine to stick on an ar for an afternoon of plinking.

If you want to try a front plane mrad scope for its designed purpose, I would spend a little more. I believe Burris makes a tactical scope that is a little better. I'm not sure on the price though.

If you really want to try it, get the PA. Run it through its paces and if it disappoints, return it
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:30 pm

It'll be going on a 243. I think I may end up doing that and see how I like it

Return to “Optics”