fixed vs variable... what do you prefer on your AR?

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

fixed vs variable... what do you prefer on your AR?

Post by CCRBUM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:53 am

Still Trying to decide on an optic for my AR and its TAX RETURN SEASON!!!!!!!!... so seriously.. what are your preferences on fixed vs variable? I've run a 1-4 on my ar and liked it a lot but that was 5 or 6 years ago and not they have some nice prism scopes out now in 3x, 4x, and 5x that seem like they might be a good alternative... also some fun 1-6 optics out there... total price for optics and mount is gonna have to stay below $500 or my wife will probably kill me... still leaves some decent options from vortex and primary arms....

Use is gonna be range time, hunting, and maybe a few classes when I get money and ammo set aside for it. best distance I have access to for a range is 300 yards so thats why I'm not really looking at higher magnification... so thoughts and input?

P.S. if nothing I'm saying makes any sense it's because I'm coming off a 48 and an extended gym session so all I really wanna do is go to bed... but my kids are up... and loud....

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: fixed vs variable... what do you prefer on your AR?

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Well it is tax season so I will likely take all of my refund and celebrate at taco bell. I'm not the scope guru so I will let someone else chime in on that.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:21 pm

"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 pm

These are out of your price range but it's my opinion on a few different options.

I'd prefer something like the ACOG which is a great middle to the red dot and magnified, yet still small and compact.
:llama:

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm

didn't realize the strike eagle was out already! that very well may be the rout I go!...

Mike, I'd LOOOOOOOOOVE to have an ACOG but yes.. just a little out of my price range :(... I'll admit I spend a lot of time drooling over them.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 pm

This would probably be the best bang for the buck

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 pm

ACOG was my first thought too. The short answer to your question really is variable. You really want a 1x power for a fighting rifle, and at least a 4x for hunting smaller than zombie-sized targets. That's an expensive combo. The Bushnell is a $2000 optic.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

From the WyldPhone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 pm

I have red dots on just about all mine. Some have eotech, some vortex strikefire, some vortex sparc. My coyote model has a traditional Nikon scope. The Scar 17s has an eotech right now but I bought a Millett scope that Coach recommended and I will add the model when I get home, seems to be a cross between the two (dot and traditional)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:24 pm

dang....I might have to look into picking one of those up. Weather have a QD mount though.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:39 pm

This is what I got, in the desert camo version for the FDE Scar 17s. Its about all I can think I would ever need or use it for.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/millett-1-4 ... 81002.html

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Dave1965 wrote:This is what I got, in the desert camo version for the FDE Scar 17s. Its about all I can think I would ever need or use it for.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/millett-1-4 ... 81002.html
That's a good one for the money
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Joe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Joe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Well it is tax season so I will likely take all of my refund and celebrate at taco bell. I'm not the scope guru so I will let someone else chime in on that.
How are you so lucky to get enough back to rate Taco Bell
Oh I don't have an AR so I don't have an opinion

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:48 am

ironically that millet 1-4 DMR was the scope I use to have lol... great little scope!

on the topic of the vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle... guys on another forum were talking about it being the same scope as primary arms 1-6 scope... anyone hear or read anything about that?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:52 am

PA has both a 1-4x and an 1-6X version and I've handed both the PA 1-4x and the Millet 1-4x and other than the reticle being different it's hard to tell them apart. Couldn't tell you if other than the reticle what, if anything, is different internally.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:05 am

I doubt it. That PA 1-6 has been around for a while. Also, it's made in China. The Strike Eagle is made in Japan
Tench Coxe

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:09 am

PDM wrote:I doubt it. That PA 1-6 has been around for a while. Also, it's made in China. The Strike Eagle is made in Japan
I was actually, and not clear on that point it would seem, comparing it to the Millet DMR mentioned above.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:11 am

WLJ wrote:
PDM wrote:I doubt it. That PA 1-6 has been around for a while. Also, it's made in China. The Strike Eagle is made in Japan
I was actually, and not clear on that point it would seem, comparing it to the Millet DMR mentioned above.
Ha, sorry, I was replying to the comment about PA and Vortex being the same scope.

Note to self: use the quote feature
Tench Coxe

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 am

My PA 1-4 is VERY nice for the money. Definitely not a $700-800 optic, but WAY more than I would expect for the price.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I built a few Ar15s using PA scopes last year , the 1-6 and the fixed 4x prismatic and the 4x14 mil mil FFP. I also have a few of the PA micro dots and have used there 1-4 and standard red dot/M2 clone.

The PA red dots are great, I think there Micro is the best bang for the buck as far as any optic goes. Its durable , rugged, and suitable quality for my needs

The 4x14 mil mil FFP is suitable. Its clicks are a bit mushy and less positive then I would like, but it passes the box test and the optical clarity is suitable. I got it on my SPR type rifle , and it suits that rifle well. It seems pretty rugged but im always a bit protective of the turrets, as I am with any precision riflescope. I been runing this rifle a bunch in the last year, dialing the scope, building loads,making charts, and its been a very reliable scope. I run Surefire RTS side sights on the rifle for close work and the combination is proving to be one of my favorites

The 4x prismatic is great quality , one of my buddies uses it on his AR15 as his primary optic. Its a farm gun and sees a bunch of abuse, it rides in back of the Honda big red most of the time. Some times it gets bags of seed thrown on it , or bashed around with the various other crap that rides in the little bed. When the scope was first mounted we could not get it sighted in, turns out you gotta really make sure to get the base tight , and locktight the hell out of it, it came loose a few times before we solved the problem. The clicks are not as accurate as I had hoped, with a scope such as it is you dont dial , but I still expect to be able to sight the rifle in with 3 shots, in this case it takes 3 times that. Once you have it setup though it functions ok. The PA reticle ACSS......SUCKS, bullet drop reticles built around one particular load......SUCK.

The 1-6 with the ACSS, again the ACSS reticle SUCKS! Whey did they not just make a MOA graduated Reticle? The scope is heavy , but its rugged. The Magnification rig is very stiff but thats common and needling some silicone grease in there dose improve the feel. The Clicks are accurate , or as accurate as need be for what it is, though they dont have a very good click. The resetting feature is functional but a spot of rubber cement onc you get the scope dialed in the turrets set helps if you do desire to take the caps off and dial for range. The eye box is suitable but at 6x it gets a bit small. The glass quality is fine, again its just 6x at max so your not needing the best quality glass, it fisheyes a bit but its outside of the main focus area.

Any of them are up to anything short of combat , given you keep in mind the weaknesses of each one.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 am

SOL... very informative, thank you!

Jhud
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jhud » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 pm

I have one of these. I like it. Bushnell AR 1-4x24.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Illumina ... B00AU6EIIY

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:54 am

hows the glass on it? PSA has them on sale right now.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:31 am

That's a deal if you just want any optic for a cheap gun, but the glass on that Bushnell is not the same as their Elite series.
The truth is that if you're concerned at all about optical quality, either get the Vortex or raise your budget another $1000.
Tench Coxe

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 pm

I like my aimpoint with 3x magnifier on a flip-to-the-side mount.
Height Supremacist

Return to “Optics”