Optic and mount recommendation for SCAR 17S

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Optic and mount recommendation for SCAR 17S

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Looking for an optic for the SCAR 17S.
Want something for close up as well as out to 300 to 400 yards.

Heard a recommendation for the Millett DMS 1 which seems to fit the bill but thought I would see what else people thought. Plus need recommendations on mounts cause I suck at matching the two together very well. NOT NOT NOT considering EOTECH and ACOGs because want that mid range and more able for better precision I guess. I know Vortex has a PTS scope as well. Pluses for the manufacturer if it comes in FDE or something similar color to match the FDE scar without the rattlecan treatment.

This is what the Millet Say:
Millett 1-4 x 24 DMS Designated Marksman Red-Dot Riflescope Product Info
With the Millett 1-4 x 24 Designated Marksman Red Dot Riflescope means that 5 yards and 500 yards are both less than a heartbeat away. The best of riflescope optics and red dotsimage meet in this compact, extremely versatile and rugged Millet rifle scope, designed for CQB and mid-range combat. The specialized reticle allows you to switch from precision shot placement to rapid target acquisition in less than a heartbeat. This rugged Millet Designated Marksman Scope w/ Donut-Dot Reticle features multi-coated lenses and a matte black finish. The shooter's eye lines up the circle at close range, reticle gives accuracy at longer ranges and range estimation is straight forward by use of the circle out to 500 yards. The Millet Designated Marksman Fully Coated Optics RD Riflescope features a compact, 30mm tube, fully coated glass and bright illumination of the reticle are just a few of the many features the Millet 1-4 x 24mm DMS Scope offers. Bright red illumination of the reticle adds to the quickness of the sighting system in daytime and low-light conditions.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Been liked: 0

Re: Optic and mount recommendation for SCAR 17S

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Total budget for optic and mount?
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm cheap so probably under 400 and I don't think more would be useful for me at my eyes and shakiness :o

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:09 pm

You might want to boost that budget a little bit in order to get something worth buying and to put it in a good mount. ADM makes a pretty good mount that is a -little- less expensive than LaRue. Personally I'd spend $30 extra and go LaRue... Gotta have that Dillo Dust. ADM does sell mount-optic combos.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing ... roduct/593

Do you have any preferences as far as first focal plane reticles, illuminated reticles, mi/MOA reticle, etc? Any must haves?

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:43 pm

This was what is on a clients SCAR-H that I just got in shop.

A Burris PEPR mount and a Vortix scope
4X16x50
Attachments
image.jpg

Ar-Rob
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Ar-Rob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 pm

The mount is backwards
scorpionmain wrote:I've heard "Rob is a dick"
Rem700 wrote:Rob is a dick
Marcus wrote:Rob can be such a dick

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Eh, technically, yeah, but as long as it's placed so that you get the proper eye relief and don't have it bridging the hand guard/receiver you're good.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Ar-Rob wrote:The mount is backwards

Don't care , I was only installing a Surefire mount on it.
Did not mount the scope , customer did.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:46 pm

That seems to be a more traditional scope which doesn't really function in the cqb situation but vortex is an option in there. I like their items and they have some similar scopes to the Millet which allow a red dot with scope capability too.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:36 am

I put the Vortex 1x6 Razor HD Gen II on mine. I wanted a 1x6 for the 308 over the 1x4. My eyes are not getting any younger.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/raz ... le/reticle

I was almost sold on the ELCAN, which is a great concept, except that Whoots mentioned reading some stuff about it being unable to maintain zero when shifting from magnified to magnified and back again. I looked up and found similar stuff on websites from folks who used them in the field.

On the Vortex I like the JM-1 Reticle (Jerry Miculek designed) but they offer a couple different reticles as well. I had an offset mini red dot on it but found that I can engage at 1x with the red dot in the scope just as effectively, so I took the red dot off and am going to practice more both eyes open shooting with the scope at higher power and the red dot on in closer engagements and see how I do.

It ain't in your $400 budget, but I am not certain that you are going to be happy with the stuff you find in that budget.

If ya want to check out my scope let me know.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:05 am

ChopperDoc wrote:I put the Vortex 1x6 Razor HD Gen II on mine. I wanted a 1x6 for the 308 over the 1x4. My eyes are not getting any younger.

I was almost sold on the ELCAN, which is a great concept, except that Whoots mentioned reading some stuff about it being unable to maintain zero when shifting from magnified to magnified and back again. I looked up and found similar stuff on websites from folks who used them in the field.

On the Vortex I like the JM-1 Reticle (Jerry Miculek designed) but they offer a couple different reticles as well. I had an offset mini red dot on it but found that I can engage at 1x with the red dot in the scope just as effectively, so I took the red dot off and am going to practice more both eyes open shooting with the scope at higher power and the red dot on in closer engagements and see how I do.

It ain't in your $400 budget, but I am not certain that you are going to be happy with the stuff you find in that budget.

Damn I like that! My FUTURE SCAR17 may really need one of those...haha
I NEED A SCAR17! My bank acct don't need a SCAR17...haha

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:19 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:I put the Vortex 1x6 Razor HD Gen II on mine. I wanted a 1x6 for the 308 over the 1x4. My eyes are not getting any younger.

Yeah it would have to be good for that price. Don't forsee spending that ever on a glass. I won't shoot it enough to justify that. I guess I will just stick with the Millet or Vortex.

Return to “Optics”