Anyone using night vision??

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Anyone using night vision??

Post by Toddstang » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 pm

I know that the Military Contractors over pay on everything. I had a machine shop on my route that was in the West End of Louisville and they only made tools for the military. Workers would tell me stories that they were making $400 wrenches or $100 screw drivers for Uncle Sam every time I went in there.
They went belly up when Clinton made cuts to the Military around 93.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Made in America ain't cheap.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:54 pm

But made BEST!

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Anyone tried the X-sight hd 3-12x I'm eyeing it really hard?
Ky CCDW Instructor

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Based on my experience shooting with currently top-of-the-line night vision (PVS-30 $10,000) in front of a $5,000 optic on top of a $15,000 rifle, I can say that shooting at distance in the dark is hard. I've never used lesser night vision so I don't have personal experience to say what it's like, but judging upon my difficulties with tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, I'd question to effectiveness of a $400 magnified night vision optic.

In the end I guess it depends on how far you want to shoot. The product is listed on Amazon. Try the reviews section for some firsthand information.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Anyone using night vision??

Post by ken6881 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16 pm

I have watched lots of YouTube videos and read reviews just wanted to hear some local experience. It would probably end up on my 300 blackout and mossberg 930 for coyote hunting at night. So 100 yds would be a long shot at night I would think. Would like to hunt hogs down south with it.
Ky CCDW Instructor

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:00 am

Whootsinator wrote:Based on my experience shooting with currently top-of-the-line night vision (PVS-30 $10,000) in front of a $5,000 optic on top of a $15,000 rifle, I can say that shooting at distance in the dark is hard. I've never used lesser night vision so I don't have personal experience to say what it's like, but judging upon my difficulties with tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, I'd question to effectiveness of a $400 magnified night vision optic.

In the end I guess it depends on how far you want to shoot. The product is listed on Amazon. Try the reviews section for some firsthand information.
I'm old enough to have spent a lot of quality time with Gen1 and Gen2 night vision.

It sucks; most of the time the stuff stayed in the case, stowed away someplace. I didn't start liking--and actively *using*--NODs until I got my first PVS-7.

If I were buying something to hunt with I'd wait a couple more years and go thermal. You already get more bang for your buck than you would with Gen3 image intensification units, and the prices are just going to get better.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:49 am

Whootsinator wrote:Based on my experience shooting with currently top-of-the-line night vision (PVS-30 $10,000) in front of a $5,000 optic on top of a $15,000 rifle, I can say that shooting at distance in the dark is hard. I've never used lesser night vision so I don't have personal experience to say what it's like, but judging upon my difficulties with tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, I'd question to effectiveness of a $400 magnified night vision optic.

Trust me Whoot Gen 1 is measured in feet for use.
In my limited experence use what I have about 75 ft is Max range. May 100 with moon light
But then you can see pretty good by moon light if you have young eyes.

But since KY limits night hunting of coyotes to shotgun, 75 is the max range anyway for me.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:12 am

Frailer wrote:

I'm old enough to have spent a lot of quality time with Gen1 and Gen2 night vision.

It sucks; most of the time the stuff stayed in the case, stowed away someplace. I didn't start liking--and actively *using*--NODs until I got my first PVS-7.

If I were buying something to hunt with I'd wait a couple more years and go thermal. You already get more bang for your buck than you would with Gen3 image intensification units, and the prices are just going to get better.
This!

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Well I decided it was worth a shot considering it could be used in daytime aswell. Paid 369.99 plus tax.
Ky CCDW Instructor

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:50 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449287377.836536.jpg
Need to center my ir illumintor that came with it but I'm pretty happy with it being an entry level piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ky CCDW Instructor

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:42 am

Dave1965 wrote:
Frailer wrote:

This!
X2! I'm waiting with bated breath for FLIR tech to come down to reasonable (or at least affordable) price. My Gen 2 scope isn't bad, good for about 75 yds, but my PVS-14 blows it away, out to about 200 yds, there's very little comparison between them.

The FLIR scopes I have seen are a world apart from any NOD gear I have seen, and are good out to about 500 yds in nearly complete darkness.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:25 pm

If you want to be really blown away check out hybrid IR/thermal devices ;)
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Return to “Optics”