Gun Safe

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
HEYOPEY
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Gun Safe

Post by HEYOPEY » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:30 pm

I'am about to be in the market for a safe and I would like some advice. $1000 is my budget. I would like something with good size 40 gun maybe, high fire rating, I don't really wont a keypad (heard alot of bad things about keypads going out) The Cannon Scout seems to be what all of the outdoor/gun shops have in my area good or bad?

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Gun Safe

Post by Livewire » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:08 pm

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005

This one is usually goes on sale Black Friday for $699.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I went thru this a couple years back. I ended up saving a little more money and went with a liberty. If I was in a hurry, I would have bought a cannon from Tractor Supply.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by bigelowe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Don't buy a stack on with the electronic key pad. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to open them with a strong magnet.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm gonna have to upgrade within the next year. Space is getting too tight in mine. Basically one more rifle will require either a bigger safe or moving ammo out of the one I have..lol

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 pm

ssracer wrote:I'm gonna have to upgrade within the next year. Space is getting too tight in mine. Basically one more rifle will require either a bigger safe or moving ammo out of the one I have..lol
I bought this a while back, helps a lot with that.
http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Storage-Solut ... +safe+rods
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

HEYOPEY

Post by HEYOPEY » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:26 pm

bigelowe wrote:I went thru this a couple years back. I ended up saving a little more money and went with a liberty. If I was in a hurry, I would have bought a cannon from Tractor Supply.
@bigelowe What model Liberty did you get?

@All
I have seen some bad reviews of the Cannon's about the keypad going out about 2 years in and really bad customer service anyone had to deal with this issues on any safe?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:28 pm

HEYOPEY wrote:
bigelowe wrote:I went thru this a couple years back. I ended up saving a little more money and went with a liberty. If I was in a hurry, I would have bought a cannon from Tractor Supply.

@All
I have seen some bad reviews of the Cannon's about the keypad going out about 2 years in and really bad customer service anyone had to deal with this issues on any safe?
Got a keypad on mine (Sentry) but I made sure it had a key override just in case.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:05 am

HEYOPEY wrote:

@All
I've had one battery go bad but other than that I've had no problems in three years.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 am

I have the Liberty FatBoy Jr. and like it. Mine has the manual dial-type lock. Bought it for $1000 a few years ago from a local building supply store.

One reason I went with the Liberty over the Cannon (of the same size and style) was due to the greater number of door bolts in the Liberty vs. the Cannon.

Kind of a cool note: the Sargent and Greenleaf Locks corporate U.S. office is in Nicholasville, Ky.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by bigelowe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:33 am

I believe it was the colonial 50. It was the biggest and best I could afford. I also bought the door organizer after I got it home and installed.

Brob324

Post by Brob324 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:48 pm

I recently purchased the Cannon Scout- great value for the money. Delivered to the door free of charge. Includes the door organizer which saved some $ as well. Outlets, Ethernet, pre drilled to bolt down.

http://m.costco.com/Cannon-Safe-%7c-40- ... 54119.html

HEYOPEY

Post by HEYOPEY » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:41 pm

I like all the features of the Cannon Scout plus the fact that it is local to me. But reading all the online reviews is really turning me away.

Brob324

Post by Brob324 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Some are a little off-putting definitely. Saying the steel is too thin, fire rating is too low, etc. I'm happy with it. For the price I couldn't touch that capacity in a Liberty or other comparable safe

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:00 am

I wonder what a good steel door for a closet costs? (yes I know you can hack through wood and drywall but its a pain.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:09 am

Dave1965 wrote:I wonder what a good steel door for a closet costs? (yes I know you can hack through wood and drywall but its a pain.
Guy I work with is building a house. He's having two cinder block rooms build in the basement. One will be a storm shelter and the other is going to have a vault door installed. I want a walk in gun room...lol

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:15 am

ssracer wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:I wonder what a good steel door for a closet costs? (yes I know you can hack through wood and drywall but its a pain.
Guy I work with is building a house. He's having two cinder block rooms build in the basement. One will be a storm shelter and the other is going to have a vault door installed. I want a walk in gun room...lol
I would love to have a vault built. Would seriously consider it if I ever build a new house.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:04 am

Gunsmokin wrote:
ssracer wrote:
I would love to have a vault built. Would seriously consider it if I ever build a new house.
When I build, I will have one. Got to sell my current house first.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 am

Niceguy wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:
ssracer wrote:
When I build, I will have one. Got to sell my current house first.
If it were me, I'd have 6" poured concrete walls and ceiling with a grid of rebar spaced no more than 6" apart. Have a floor drain for the dehumidifier to drain into. Put conduit inside concrete forms to run electric. And don't forget to put twine in to pull wires. Maybe a 8x10 room would be perfect. Slat wall everywhere. One can dream...

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to do a big ass pole barn type garage with 1000sq/ft or so living area on some land. Can't wait!

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:42 am

Niceguy wrote:Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to do a big ass pole barn type garage with 1000sq/ft or so living area on some land. Can't wait!
This is WIN!

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:50 am

I have a buddy finishing up basically what I want to do right now. But he's doing it a couple yards behind their house for his mom to live in. Then doing a 1000sq/ft game room above her apartment. I think it's 60 or 80' x 100 or 120". It's pretty good size.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Gun Safe

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Something like this would be cool. Image
Or this,

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Sorry about the thread jack. Back to safes now.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:39 pm

The guy who welded up my barrel vise , made a strong box about 8 foot square out of boiler plate and a vault door out of 3/4 armor plate and dug out his basement floor and had the box put in the ground and had a new floor poured over the box.
It held most of his more valuable firearms.

Return to “Tactical Gear”