Steel Targets

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Steel Targets

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:23 am

Okay so a buddy of mine is making steel targets out of AR500 steel and I am going to pick up a couple. One is going to be a 10" circle which I plant to hang on a sheppards book so that is easy. The hard one is the silouette. How do you guys have them set up. Static or swinging and what stands or plans for stands did you use?
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Steel Targets

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:45 am

I use a grade 8 bolt with a valve spring on the back side
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 am

mounting to what a 2x4 pics?
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:39 am

If you don't have any metal handy, just bolt through a 2x4. Don't have any picks with me. It's just bolt, target, spring, 2x, washer, nylon lock nut. If you know anyone with a shop, see if they can scrape up a few old valve springs for you. It's not an original idea. Here is one you can buy
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 am

Strips of rubber, like old tires or rubber matting, work well for hanging material instead of chain.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:54 am

That second picture looks like it would do a good job at keeping the plates from swinging, unlike chain
Tench Coxe

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Why do you think that?

I don't think any of the pictures necessarily show perfect execution of the concept, but they get the main idea of "replace chain with rubber" across well enough.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Two layers of rubber would be very stiff and spring back to neutral. Can't say that I would quite put it together like that though. Lol
Tench Coxe

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:52 pm

I think your ideal setup would depend on whether you plan to leave your targets in place or haul them back and forth to the range.

FWIW, I like to have some static steel (for practicing multiple shots on target) and some swinging/moving.

I'll also warn you that steel targets are sort of like guns or ammo: you'll always want more.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Frailer wrote:I think your ideal setup would depend on whether you plan to leave your targets in place or haul them back and forth to the range.

FWIW, I like to have some static steel (for practicing multiple shots on target) and some swinging/moving.

I'll also warn you that steel targets are sort of like guns or ammo: you'll always want more.
Absolutely this...

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:06 pm

What do you mean by "swinging" <--not a joke

All mine are portable. It seems like the rubber straps on a frame is good if you dont' plan on moving them
Tench Coxe

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Rubber doesn't have to be any less portable than chain.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 pm

I plan to move them. So potable is key. Also part of why I think static with 2x4 would be good for silouette and sheppards hook for 10"

samb.

Post by samb. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Rubber works great to hold targets. Conveyor belt or sections of fire hose work better though because of the fibers in them. I was having problems with spall/splatter tearing the rubber. Swapping to fire hose, conveyor belt, or even old tow straps fixed that.

Chains suck. Heavy, loud, break when shot.

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Next time you see a tire on the side of the road pick it up. Works great for holding steel and cleans up your neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ky CCDW Instructor

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:54 pm

samb. wrote:Rubber works great to hold targets. Conveyor belt or sections of fire hose work better though because of the fibers in them. I was having problems with spall/splatter tearing the rubber. Swapping to fire hose, conveyor belt, or even old tow straps fixed that.

Chains suck. Heavy, loud, break when shot.

That's what I was trying to remember! Someone mentioned something to me about fire departments often having lengths of old hose they can't use anymore. Might be a good source to try, at least.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Okay. I sell chemicals to about 10 departments. I will have to ask around. I have an old tire laying around too.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 pm

PDM wrote:What do you mean by "swinging" <--not a joke

All mine are portable. It seems like the rubber straps on a frame is good if you dont' plan on moving them
Good question; I can see that I wasn't very clear. By "swinging" I meant targets that are suspended so that they move when shot, as opposed to firmly mounted steel challenge-style targets that don't.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:02 pm

Built mine a while back. 12" gong. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453420850.971122.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453420850.971122.jpg (282.2 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Great idea(s) on using rubber instead of chains. The plate needs some backward movement to aid in directing the projectile downward and the used tire idea is fantastic!! The "target reset" from the use of tire sections would be much quicker than when using chains.

Thanks guys. I've been wanting to buy some plates.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Plates need to deflect projectiles and energy (projectiles for safety, energy for target longevity), but they can be static angled targets. They don't necessarily have to swing or otherwise move.

Personally, I'd prefer it be swinging and slanted, but be mounted so that it can't rotate. Kinda like this, though it isn't a very refined setup:

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 pm

IMHO tilting targets downward isn't a requirement in many cases.

I would certainly do so if shooting with centerfire rifle rounds at relatively close ranges (say 75 yards or less), but for handgun rounds--or rifle rounds at 100 yards plus--it's not an issue when using AR500, as a lead bullet hitting hardened steel becomes fluid, splattering in all directions perpendicular to the angle of incidence.

The biggest risk is pitted targets. I recently saw a man knocked to the ground when a 9mm jacketed bullet hit the edge of a "crater" and a big piece of the jacket came back and whacked him in the temple.

Cratered targets should be relegated to long-distance shooting if not discarded altogether.

Just my 2 cents.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Frailer wrote:IMHO tilting targets downward isn't a requirement in many cases.

I would certainly do so if shooting with centerfire rifle rounds at relatively close ranges (say 75 yards or less), but for handgun rounds--or rifle rounds at 100 yards plus--it's not an issue when using AR500, as a lead bullet hitting hardened steel becomes fluid, splattering in all directions perpendicular to the angle of incidence.

The biggest risk is pitted targets. I recently saw a man knocked to the ground when a 9mm jacketed bullet hit the edge of a "crater" and a big piece of the jacket came back and whacked him in the temple.

Cratered targets should be relegated to long-distance shooting if not discarded altogether.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree 100%... We have had a few on here hit by return rounds or jackets from pitted steel. I only use pistol rounds on mine at any distance and they have been great. They are just 5/8" thick crap steel, not ar500 or anything like that.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Ah. Ok. Now I get why a little swing could be a good thing.
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Mild steel is a big nono unless it is for long range. It will send copper back at you
Tench Coxe

Return to “Tactical Gear”