Firstlight vs Surefire

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Firstlight vs Surefire

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:08 am

I was sent two Firstlight flashlights to try out by the company last month, and compair them to my current duty light setup. I personally never heard of Firstlight and when a friend asked me about them i checked into the brand. The web page has a t&e requeat form so i sent in a request and was approved.
I chose to try out the Tomahawk LE and T-MAX LE w/ duty belt retention systemlights and test them against my Surefire 6PX Defender and my modified G3 with Switchback and 5.11 holster.Image

First ill go over the pros and cons of the T-MAX LE as it relates to my G3.
Lumens: T-MAX has 700. G3 has 1,060. For a weaponlight 700 is more than enough light but for a duty light i have never wanted less light on night shift. This is a duty light first and weapon light second so i give thw slight edge to G3.
Size: edge goes to the T-MAX.
Retention in holster: I have never had the G3 come out of the 5.11 holster but i can imagine a scenario where it would. I cant see any way the T-MAX would come out due to its thumb drive release.
Retention in the hand: G3 has a solid polimer ring whereas the T-MAX has a half loop designed to break loose before breaking a finger. Its a tie but i prefere the G3.
Battery life: G3 wins even though its significantly brighter due to having 3 batteries. The T-MAX has constant draw due to having to remember the mode settings when the light is off.
Modes: T-MAX wins here. G3 just has one mode, bright as hell. The T-MAX not only has too many modes to list, it has an easy to find max white light over ride switch that shuts off any activated mode and throws 700 lumens of white light. It also has a hand red white blue strobe for traffic control.Image

Returning to holster: this is where the T-MAX looses serious points. Lining up the grooves to lock the light into the holster is nearly impossible. I discovered the battery cap on the Tomahawk LE is thinner than the T-MAX so i swapped them. This allows much more clearance when sliding the light into holster bit is still difficult. Every time i get out of my car i pull my light. Every time i get back in i put it up. The frustraition here is enough to cause the light to loose no matter how nice it is. Another problwm experienced is a white light AD nearly every time i push the light down into the grooves. G3 wins easily. The G3 bezel is also covered to keep white light from accidebtly flashing out. Image

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Re: Firstlight vs Surefire

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks for the write-up, I've never heard of these guys before this.

For those interested, their T&E program is for Military, LE, or industry professionals (trainers, potential dealers, security officers) and is in effect a lot more like a Pro Deal than a T&E program. They'll send you a code to use for 15% off on up to two lights. If you don't like it after 45 days you can return it for a full refund.

It's not a bad deal but you're not getting a free/nearly free test unit to beat on for thirty days... you're buying their product with a slightly longer money-back guarantee than is typical.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:34 am

Whootsinator wrote:Thanks for the write-up, I've never heard of these guys before this.

For those interested, their T&E program is for Military, LE, or industry professionals (trainers, potential dealers, security officers) and is in effect a lot more like a Pro Deal than a T&E program. They'll send you a code to use for 15% off on up to two lights. If you don't like it after 45 days you can return it for a full refund.

It's not a bad deal but you're not getting a free/nearly free test unit to beat on for thirty days... you're buying their product with a slightly longer money-back guarantee than is typical.
They sent me the lights for free for 30 days. Athey offered me 50% off the lights should i decide to purchase.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 am

When it comes to the Tomahawk LE vs the 6PX Defender things get interesting. The lights have similar output with the Tomahawk being brighter but not noticibly so. The Tomahawk has modes just like the tmax and for a off duty/edc light that is a huge plus. Its not that it has modes but it also has the white light over ride for emergency. No fumbling to get white light when you need it. The red blue stobe could be very handy for an off duty officer out of uniform stopping to assist at an injury traffic accident at night.
The only problem i experienced was with the clip. Its very sturdy but the light doesnt lend itself to being cliped to a pocket. Its small but wide and bulky. When cliped on a pocket, the pocket can be used for nothing else. Not even warming your hands. The buttons are always being activated as well. The clip and light are moor auited to being attached to your belt. Belt carry worked geeat and i didnt experience any issues but it does show under the shirt. Not a huge problem but for absolute concealment of tactical edc gear this wont work. While i could put a switchback ring on my 6PX i havent. As it stands the Tomahawk is betrer suited to be used as a weapon light.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:41 am

When shooting with the lights i became completely uninterested in using the Firstlight lights. While dry firing they seem great, even better than the switchback ring. When actually firing though, the crenelated battery cover ate my fingers up under recoil. The pocket clip was uncomfortable as well and kept working into the trigger guard. Searching with the light up next to the gun is easier with the Firstlights but the actual firing of the gun resulted in constant re adjuating of the shooting grip and actual pain on my fingers.Image

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:46 am

Good deal for you and good feedback. Now to see if they'll make any revisions based on your criticisms.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:53 am

justang1997 wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:Thanks for the write-up, I've never heard of these guys before this.

They sent me the lights for free for 30 days. Athey offered me 50% off the lights should i decide to purchase.
Interesting. That's not what their T&E page describes. When I have a longer training event (military school or annual training) I'll see if they'll do that.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:01 am

Hmmm. I'm a big fan of Streamlight over Surefire, but will have to look into them. I'm always up for trying out new options. I carry a USB rechargeable Streamlight on my belt and a TLR1 on my gun, with an Ultrastinger right next to me. Too bad Sreamlight doesn't offer this type of T&E set up.
:llama:

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:14 am

Mike wrote:Hmmm. I'm a big fan of Streamlight over Surefire, but will have to look into them. I'm always up for trying out new options. I carry a USB rechargeable Streamlight on my belt and a TLR1 on my gun, with an Ultrastinger right next to me. Too bad Sreamlight doesn't offer this type of T&E set up.
I agree. I think i will purchase the Tomahawk LE but i dont think the T-MAX is better than my current set up. I really wish i could fit my Streamlight hl3 into my 5.11 holster.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Surefire was great, 10 years ago.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Toddstang wrote:Surefire was great, 10 years ago.
Shots fired.

Return to “Tactical Gear”