Einstein v. Monroe: A Camouflage Primer

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Einstein v. Monroe: A Camouflage Primer

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:38 pm

[youtube]tB5-JahAXfc[/youtube]
This video, though it doesn't specifically mention camouflage, is a great demonstration of the difference between micro-camouflage and macro-camouflage. Patterns incorporating large, bold, high contrast shapes are great for hiding objects from observation over long distances, especially large objects surrounded by other large objects (ex. vehicles inside a woodline). Patterns only incorporating lots of small, lower contrast shapes might hide a person well from relatively short distances. Look at that same person from further away and those shapes start to blend together into one blob, colored roughly the mean of all of the other colors. The ideal traditional camouflage would incorporate both a micropattern that will hide objects from close observation AND a macropattern that appears once you step back, like Einstein and Marilyn shown in the video

Notice that the pattern extends past the edge. Camouflage works by breaking up the outline/shape of whatever you're trying to hide.

This vehicle will always look like a vehicle with some blotches painted on it, regardless of viewing distances, because the silhouette isn't broken.

Note that I don't actually think Hyperstealth, the producer of this image, makes the ideal camouflage, but they did make the best graphic to display the concept.

Regardless of your camouflage, it really must be a total package to be as effective as possible.
Instantly, the first thing to stand out is the rifle. Black is a target indicator. Avoid Black. Next are the solid black goggles. Following that are the boots which are two solid colors (brown and black, with the black laces forming obvious unnatural shapes).

Doing something is almost always better than doing nothing when it comes to camouflage, but these are some things to think about if you're camouflaging anything for practical purposes.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Return to “Tactical Gear”