Dying Gear

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Dying Gear

Post by Jeepjockey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Anyone here have any experience in dying gear different colors? What you use, how? I got a great deal on a plate carrier a few months back and its desert storm tan. Would like to atleast get it green.
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Dying Gear

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:40 pm

RIT dye or spray paint work. If you dye it, do it outside if you can. The stuff stains instantly and apparently smells pretty bad. You can always go darker, but you can never go lighter. Check frequently. Rinse in cold water, then wash in cold water with mild detergent when you have the color you want. Every material takes dye differently, so you'll probably end up with a two-toned look on some pieces (nylon body vs webbing for example).
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:17 pm

dirt , sweat , and blood

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:10 am

Whootsinator wrote:RIT dye or spray paint work. If you dye it, do it outside if you can. The stuff stains instantly and apparently smells pretty bad. You can always go darker, but you can never go lighter. Check frequently. Rinse in cold water, then wash in cold water with mild detergent when you have the color you want. Every material takes dye differently, so you'll probably end up with a two-toned look on some pieces (nylon body vs webbing for example).
This...
I dyed some desert camo body armor to olive drab. It took 3 times to get it almost where I wanted it. I get going darker and darker in stages until I got the color I wanted.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:54 pm

I have some issued gear that was treated to be water resistant, I suppose. I have no idea how many times you have to wash it in hot water to get it to take a color dye job. I gave up after a couple.

My Chocolate Chip issue uniform actually came out nice with some OD mixed RIT dye (you have to mix a couple of colors for it). Too bad I am too fat to wear them now. :)
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Buccman37 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Jakob wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:RIT dye or spray paint work. If you dye it, do it outside if you can. The stuff stains instantly and apparently smells pretty bad. You can always go darker, but you can never go lighter. Check frequently. Rinse in cold water, then wash in cold water with mild detergent when you have the color you want. Every material takes dye differently, so you'll probably end up with a two-toned look on some pieces (nylon body vs webbing for example).
This...
I dyed some desert camo body armor to olive drab. It took 3 times to get it almost where I wanted it. I get going darker and darker in stages until I got the color I wanted.
can we see a picture of it?

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jeepjockey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Well I used 1 bottle of rit green dye. It only sat in my washer for about 20min because my washer decided to drain all the water on me. It turned the tan darker and all the spot with velcro a good green. Im going to use a bottle of green and brown and try again.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1418516239948.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418516214484.jpg
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

yagreg
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by yagreg » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Yes. You should try that.

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jeepjockey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Did it again tonight. Close enough for me. Here is my multicam mag pouch on it.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1418611732604.jpg
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:33 am

Does the sides of your body armor just wrap around and velco in the front, no bib or anything over them? That looks VERY similar to a set of armor I have.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jeepjockey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes it velcros in the front. Its a usgi desert tan.
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Jeepjockey wrote:Yes it velcros in the front. Its a usgi desert tan.
I have the same set. I have a loaded out FLK to put over mine though. Thought about sewing a zipper onto the side flaps to get a more positive lock on them. My velcro isn't in the best of conditions, for my tastes.

Return to “Tactical Gear”