KAC FB page - Tactical Tip Thread

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

KAC FB page - Tactical Tip Thread

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:40 am

A thread for quick tips -

I'll start it off with this....

1) Attach pouch gear to your vest or pack *upside down*! That way, if you need it in a hurry, gravity will do half the extraction for you.
2) ALICE gear is great.... when secured with zip ties!
3) MOLLE gear is great... when secured with zip ties!
4) Insoles. You need good ones. The ones that came with yer boots are not good ones. Dr Scholls is yer friend. ;)

Share yer own tips below! Here or over at KAC FaceBook.

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: KAC FB page - Tactical Tip Thread

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am

Layer your gear. Whether 'tactical' or just a wilderness backpack trip. Heck, even a day trip on established trails when you plan to be back before dark can be fatal (as we say not too long ago) if things go awry and you end up lost and into the changing weather overnight.

Make sure that even when you are at your lowest level of layers you have the minimum gear you need to survive. Also, if you plan to keep it, regardless of the depth and breadth of crap you find yourself in, have it tied to you.

Learned this in the Boy Scouts long before I learned it from the Army.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:23 am

Good one, doc!

I do pocket/belt carry. then jacket carry, then a pack. Layers is where it's at. ;)

Also, going with the layers theory, stuff your most used items into a separate pack and attach it to the outside, that way you won't have to fully unpack everything to get at them. Now, not everyone holds to this organizational system... some believe that one compartment storage is the only way to pack. (And I can see their point. One go-bag, self contained, easy to grab and go.)

Me? I don't like to re-pack gear that much! Layers.

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 am

Kadnine wrote:Good one, doc!

I do pocket/belt carry. then jacket carry, then a pack. Layers is where it's at. ;)

Also, going with the layers theory, stuff your most used items into a separate pack and attach it to the outside, that way you won't have to fully unpack everything to get at them. Now, not everyone holds to this organizational system... some believe that one compartment storage is the only way to pack. (And I can see their point. One go-bag, self contained, easy to grab and go.)

Me? I don't like to re-pack gear that much! Layers.

- K

My scout master told us when packing for hiking trips (we did a few on the Appalachian Trail and other places in the local mountains) that we should be able to swim with our lowest level of gear and not have to shed it to keep from drowning. I keep that in mind even today when planning layers of gear.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Return to “Tactical Gear”