KAC FB: Tac light primer from scratch

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

KAC FB: Tac light primer from scratch

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 am

For the benefit of all the folks new to the world of tactical flashlights, drop recommendations here or at the KAC FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/kentuckyarmoryclub?ref=tn_tnmn
Tactical Thursday! What's yer preferred tac light. I was a Maglight man for years and years in security work and the Military. Just now getting to appreciate the new led technology. Can anyone put me some knowledge on which one you consider best in terms of lumens, value for the price, and air-travel TSA safe?
I carry a key chain light, a hand crank light for weather emergencies in the bedside table (and one in each car) but want to explore some of the new led options. Any help on where to start would be much appreciated.

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: KAC FB: Tac light primer from scratch

Post by justang1997 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

You can't go wrong with the Streamlight Pro Tac HL. They can be had for under $70 sometimes. I feel the cost and reliability of Surefire lights is worth it and needed on weapons for self defense. Its the only brand I'd use on a gun. But for hand held lights I like Streamlight and maglite. The maglite pro + is a nice under $30 light that offers the original look and feel of a AA maglite but with a 225 lumen led and a low output mode accessed by holding the light in a downward vertical position when turning on.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 pm

For a pocket sized one I like the Streamlight Stylus Pro (See the thread in Big Charlie's Knife and Tool). Thin and great illumination for its size.

A little bigger is the Elzetta, made right here in Kentucky, and the guy named it for his grandmother. How can you beat that for local? It's a great light, and I have given it a couple times for gifts, and folks have loved it. Kinda pricey, though, but the quality and illumination are great. Can be mounted on weapon or hand held. They make mounts for AR and shotgun platforms, and there are on/off switch, bezel and other options.

And of course the surefires.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Vividia wrote:For a pocket sized one I like the Streamlight Stylus Pro (See the thread in Big Charlie's Knife and Tool). Thin and great illumination for its size.

A little bigger is the Elzetta, made right here in Kentucky, and the guy named it for his grandmother. How can you beat that for local? It's a great light, and I have given it a couple times for gifts, and folks have loved it. Kinda pricey, though, but the quality and illumination are great. Can be mounted on weapon or hand held. They make mounts for AR and shotgun platforms, and there are on/off switch, bezel and other options.

I've tried to get folks to check out the 5.11 Tactical atac plx. It's a 2 aaa cell beauty. Amazing manufacture. Got mine at Dicks Hurstbourne.. I'll have to make a Damn roosters event one day to show it to folks.

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Thu May 23, 2013 6:56 pm

I've found the rechargeable 18650 batt lights to be a whole nother level for handhelds, alot to learn about, at first though.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu May 23, 2013 7:08 pm

KYgundude wrote:
Vividia wrote:For a pocket sized one I like the Streamlight Stylus Pro (See the thread in Big Charlie's Knife and Tool). Thin and great illumination for its size.

I've tried to get folks to check out the 5.11 Tactical atac plx. It's a 2 aaa cell beauty. Amazing manufacture. Got mine at Dicks Hurstbourne.. I'll have to make a Damn roosters event one day to show it to folks.

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

Dicks is a 4 letter word anymore.....
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu May 23, 2013 7:40 pm

For task or utility there is no beating a headlamp, work on your car, wash your dishes, navigate a steep trail, put it on a water bottle shinning in and you have a lantern.

As for TAC lights, CHEAP! get quality but get the cheapest quality you can , but 3 or 4 or 8 or 10 , one on every rifle, in your car , on your hip, in our pocket, Sure some sure cool big one is great but I dont want to cry when I loose it and I want a replacement to be close by.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 am

son of liberty wrote:For task or utility there is no beating a headlamp, work on your car, wash your dishes, navigate a steep trail, put it on a water bottle shinning in and you have a lantern.

As for TAC lights, CHEAP! get quality but get the cheapest quality you can , but 3 or 4 or 8 or 10 , one on every rifle, in your car , on your hip, in our pocket, Sure some sure cool big one is great but I dont want to cry when I loose it and I want a replacement to be close by.
I like the way you think, SoL! And thanks everybody for the suggestions. I have two head lamps, one on an elastic band, one clips onto the ball cap bill. And I use them both most everyday.

So....

What I'm doing currently, is keychain carry, jacket pocket, trunk of cars, crank-light in the bedside table, ion battery light in the basement reserve, 3 C-cell mag mounted under the art studio table in case anyone cuts the power or just needs a general tamp-down. And three or four extra lights just for GP. Total cost? About $60 bucks. Cheap = Good, in my book.

Looking at those demo 'Tube vids of the Surefire and Elzetta have me intrigued! New toys = Good, too!

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Fri May 24, 2013 1:58 am

son of liberty wrote:For task or utility there is no beating a headlamp, work on your car, wash your dishes, navigate a steep trail, put it on a water bottle shinning in and you have a lantern.

I like the way you think, SoL! And thanks everybody for the suggestions. I have two head lamps, one on an elastic band, one clips onto the ball cap bill. And I use them both most everyday.

So....

What I'm doing currently, is keychain carry, jacket pocket, trunk of cars, crank-light in the bedside table, ion battery light in the basement reserve, 3 C-cell mag mounted under the art studio table in case anyone cuts the power or just needs a general tamp-down. And three or four extra lights just for GP. Total cost? About $60 bucks. Cheap = Good, in my book.

Looking at those demo 'Tube vids of the Surefire and Elzetta have me intrigued! New toys = Good, too!

- Keith
~~~

~~~

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Fri May 24, 2013 5:43 am

BIGC wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Feel free to hatr them. It doesn't decrease the quality of 5.11 stuff. And if it benefits me I'll buy it there. They are the only local dealer. I'm looking out for my own best interests.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 am

Inforce WML is on my AR/M4. Light, small, and works great for what I use I for.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 am

KYgundude wrote:
BIGC wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Feel free to hatr them. It doesn't decrease the quality of 5.11 stuff. And if it benefits me I'll buy it there. They are the only local dealer. I'm looking out for my own best interests.
Go to Bluegrass Uniform at 2nd and Kentucky. They have a whole wall of 5.11 lights, bags, and pouches. And I'd bet you a dollar they will beat dicks prices. Plus every $250 you spend you get a $10 credit and its a local owned business.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

justang1997 wrote:
KYgundude wrote:
BIGC wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Go to Bluegrass Uniform at 2nd and Kentucky. They have a whole wall of 5.11 lights, bags, and pouches. And I'd bet you a dollar they will beat dicks prices. Plus every $250 you spend you get a $10 credit and its a local owned business.
I'll have to check that out. Of course I already own the light. Also when you go to Dicks Hurstbourne you see gundoc which easily offsets Dicks douchbaggery

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 am

KYgundude wrote:
BIGC wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Not local to me, and I get 5.11 the same as I do the other stuff.. I will try that light, it is the same price as the streamlight through my distributor..
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Return to “Tactical Gear”