Dump pouch mounting locations

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Dump pouch mounting locations

Post by justang1997 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:52 pm

So I have never ran a dump pouch. Always used cargo or butt pockets. Where should this go? Belt or lower vest? Side or front? I'm leaning toward front right of belt. But doing that means its a part of my 1st line gear and I don't know if it merits the place on the belt. I like it being in the front because I can see in it better. I could see using this for things other than mags too.
If it helps I am right handed and its a 5.11 roll up dump bag.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Dump pouch mounting locations

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 pm

i am left handed on rifles and right handed on pistols. so remeber that i am messed up. I run my dump pouch on my belt over my right pocket where i usally keep my wallet. I figure the muscule memory of me going to my wallet helps me be fast getting mags into the dump bag. now i just use the dump bag for rifle mags my pistol mags go in my left front pocket where i keep my phone usally. Just mess around with it. Make sure it there is no chance of it being in the way when you draw your secondary or where i can get your primary hung up in it. or you could run it in front like a tactical loincloth. which 325mout would prefer.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm

I personally have mine mounted on both my Mayflower APCs.The dump pouch sits off my hip on my nonfiring side. The equipment that is needed to keep me in the fight comes first (I.E mags, knife and ect) and is located in my primary work space up front on my chest. My dump bag is on my non firing side because I will obviously be using my non firing hand for mag changes.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 pm

When I do run one I like to use a roll up type that gose on the molle on the outside of the mag pouch itself. It speeds me up some as im not going to one spot to dump and one spot to get a new mag, its just one fluid motion.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 pm

I run my dump pouch on the back left (non firing side) of my plate carrier. I have also run it on a belt in the same location. It's easy to hit my back with the mag and just slide it down into the pouch.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 am

ssracer wrote:I run my dump pouch on the back left (non firing side) of my plate carrier. I have also run it on a belt in the same location. It's easy to hit my back with the mag and just slide it down into the pouch.
I am no ninja but my location would be back left (non firing side) also since you are removing your mag with non firing hand it would be less movement and natural.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am

I'm no ninja either but putting it on your back left would mean two trips to your side. Saying that because you would NOT pull a mag with ammo out of your gun and drop it before pulling a fresh mag and loading your gun. You would pull the fresh mag remove the empty and insert the fresh and then make a second trip to the left side to deposit the mag with ammo left in it.
This is assuming you aren't putting empties in the dump bag.

I'm trying out the front side because its closer to the gun and it is easier to find the opening.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 am

justang1997 wrote:I'm no ninja either but putting it on your back left would mean two trips to your side. Saying that because you would NOT pull a mag with ammo out of your gun and drop it before pulling a fresh mag and loading your gun. You would pull the fresh mag remove the empty and insert the fresh and then make a second trip to the left side to deposit the mag with ammo left in it.

I'm trying out the front side because its closer to the gun and it is easier to find the opening.
To sum up this whole thread: The location in which an individual puts a piece of kit is all up to shooter's preference. Then go out and run it, that's the only way you're gonna find out if your kit is setup right for you. It has nothing to do with being a ninja, it's about knowing your equipment and having the ability to use it efficiently.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 am

DDgunslinger wrote:
justang1997 wrote:I'm no ninja either but putting it on your back left would mean two trips to your side. Saying that because you would NOT pull a mag with ammo out of your gun and drop it before pulling a fresh mag and loading your gun. You would pull the fresh mag remove the empty and insert the fresh and then make a second trip to the left side to deposit the mag with ammo left in it.

To sum up this whole thread: The location in which an individual puts a piece of kit is all up to shooter's preference. Then go out and run it, that's the only way you're gonna find out if your kit is setup right for you. It has nothing to do with being a ninja, it's about knowing your equipment and having the ability to use it efficiently.
This ^^^^^^

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 am

DDgunslinger wrote:

I meant it in a tongue in cheek way of saying I am not the trained professional/assassin so my answer is just my thoughts and not a recommendation. I didn't want to give the notion my way was better than the guys who train all the time with them. As a matter of fact my new tactical tailor dump pouch arrived yesterday.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Do ninjas even use dump pouches? I appreciate any discussion and input I can get from all view points.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 pm

I thought about one, trying to decide if it is really needed?
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm

86 slo-vo wrote:I thought about one, trying to decide if it is really needed?
You need to retain your magazines. Leave them laying for your enemy....or have them for the next fight ???

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 pm

I guess there are 2 schools of thought. I mainly hear that empty mags get dropped to the floor because if they ran empty while you are shooting you need to reload asap. The ones you swap when you have time between shooting you save for the ammo they contain.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:29 pm

justang1997 wrote:Do ninjas even use dump pouches? I appreciate any discussion and input I can get from all view points.
Don't sound so silly, of course they do but they are so fast that you never see them.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm

justang1997 wrote:I guess there are 2 schools of thought. I mainly hear that empty mags get dropped to the floor because if they ran empty while you are shooting you need to reload asap. The ones you swap when you have time between shooting you save for the ammo they contain.
If you are moving while shooting, you may never get back to where you dropped your mag(s) or when your chance to reload comes, you may be 1/4 mile (or 2 floors up) from where you dropped it.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:27 pm

On topic here is my new tactical tailor fight light dump pouch. Wind wouldn't stop blowing for pic with it open so it looks a bit blurry but you get the gist of it. Woots will be proud lol!

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Does it have a flap with a slit or is it wide open.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:39 pm

I think its light enough to justify having. I just don't know if I want it on my vest or belt. Ill try both I suppose.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 pm

justang1997 wrote:I think its light enough to justify having. I just don't know if I want it on my vest or belt. Ill try both I suppose.
I run mine on my belt. Most the time my AR mags are on a leg rig.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm

justang1997 wrote:Does it have a flap with a slit or is it wide open.
It is open and has a draw string with the plastic cinch to enclose it if you needed things secure.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 am

I ran one on each side but they got in the way of the dual drop holsters, armored vest and tac. jacket. left almost no room to run the com radio.

other shooters at the range looked at me funny all day, they just don't know got to stay frosty

yes this post if full of sarcasm.

Return to “Tactical Gear”