For those with a SIG Mosquito...

P22s, mk I, II, III, gsg 1911s, any rim fire pistol.
Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

For those with a SIG Mosquito...

Post by Rext » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Just thought I would show you what to expect at some point. I have seen this 3 other times so beware. This is a friends pistol.

Sig will not warranty the slide failure. Their guns are covered by a LIMITED LIFETIME warranty and this isnt covered. They want $209.00 to send to them and replace the slide. Needless to say,if someone is in the market for a lower half...

Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: For those with a SIG Mosquito...

Post by Rem700 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Welp guess i wont be buying on of those for the wife.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:22 pm

JB Weld that puppy.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:26 pm

justang1997 wrote:JB Weld that puppy.
After that is tried....use plyers to remove it from your teeth lol :llama:

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Weld it back together

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

I wouldn't waste time welding.
Buy a Ruger or a Smith & Wesson instead.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Duct Tape
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Cheese. How much fricking recoil does a .22 have? THey must have used some really low quality steel compared to Sig's bigger semi-autos, or else it's an incredibly bad design to have such a weak point.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Vividia wrote:Cheese. How much fricking recoil does a .22 have? THey must have used some really low quality steel compared to Sig's bigger semi-autos, or else it's an incredibly bad design to have such a weak point.
Unfortunately many 22 slides are not made of steel but zinc alloys
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:49 pm

WLJ wrote:
Vividia wrote:Cheese. How much fricking recoil does a .22 have? THey must have used some really low quality steel compared to Sig's bigger semi-autos, or else it's an incredibly bad design to have such a weak point.
Unfortunately many 22 slides are not made of steel but zinc alloys
This

Cast flaw will lead to a Oopps as posted

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I just told someone on this forum that the sig mosquito was garbage.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm curious what the excuse as to why its not covered. If I'm going to spend $350 to $400 on a gun it damn well better be from a company who will stand behind it. I have one as a suppressor host... Think I might call them and raise some hell and explain that if the want to make an inferior product and not stand behind it then I won't be owning any more SIG products.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Toddinlou wrote:I'm curious what the excuse as to why its not covered. If I'm going to spend $350 to $400 on a gun it damn well better be from a company who will stand behind it. I have one as a suppressor host... Think I might call them and raise some hell and explain that if the want to make an inferior product and not stand behind it then I won't be owning any more SIG products.
Sig quality doesn't exist anymore.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 pm

According to Wiki it's an aluminum-zinc alloy. Just about the worst thing you could make a slide out of short of play-doh

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 pm

The break on the ones I have seen is right at the transition of the thicknesses on the front of the slides. My buddy talked to sig today and the supervisor he got on the phone claims he has never heard of this happening before. I call BS on that considering this wasn't the first one I have seen. Gotta bea big problem. I did buy a sig 1911-22 awhile ago and have been happy with it except the cost of magazines. All of these guns are cheap pot metal. That's why they are so cheap.
Kentucky Firearms

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Just google
sig mosquito slide broke
There's a ton broken in the exact same way.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:49 am

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/12314 ... acked.html

Check this thread several people got it covered

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am

One guy is not several.

I really believe that a giant cottage industry is being missed out on here. If somebody could set up a CNC and start turning out forged aluminum slides to replace the crap that Sig, Walther, GSG, and whoever else fell into the Zamak trap would make a freakin' fortune.

Fortunately, I never fell into the P22 trap. They have even more slide cracking/breaking issues than the Skeeters do. I do have to hand it to Walther, though, so far, I haven't heard of them refusing to replace the broken slides. Yet.

As much as I love my GSG 1911 .22's and even my Mosquito (after running through hell barefooted to get it to run as it should), every time I haul one out to shoot it, I have to ask myself "is today the day?".

I hate that feeling.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:48 am

I saw hundreds ;)

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

etownguy wrote:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/12314 ... acked.html

Check this thread several people got it covered
For what its worth, he contacted sig, as stated above, and they claimed to have never heard of this problem.Then he found an email of someone higher up and they claimed they would only replace the slide if it was made in 2011 or newer. So apparently they knew there was a problem and fixed it in 2011 and thats why they are warranteed? They felt like at $209 including shipping both ways that this was a hell of a bargain. Essentially at that cost,the owner is their own warranty. I told him to forward the emails to me and I would post them for all to see.
Kentucky Firearms

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 pm

This is the pertinent discussion between my buddy and Sig. Go to the second email to start below:

Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:25 AM
To: Keith
Subject: RE: Emailing: labelAction (2) - Mosquito Slide Failure

Keith,

Unfortunately your mosquito was built in 2007 and it wasn’t until 2011 that Sig Sauer started offering lifetime warranties on the mosquito. We are also replacing the slide for $150.00 which is a very good price. The other $55.00 is for 2 day air shipping too and from the facility fully warrantied incase anything happens during transit. If you have any other questions feel free to email me or give me a call.

Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:33 PM
To: Kyle Faucher
Cc: Keith
Subject: RE: Emailing: labelAction (2) - Mosquito Slide Failure

Kyle, I appreciate you taking my call today and working with me to facilitate the repair of my Mosquito pistol.

I do have another question; after talking with you I looked up the warranty on the Sig’s website. The slide is obviously a defect in material during the manufacturing of the weapon, why am I being charged over $200.00?

..."SIG SAUER warrants that the enclosed firearm was originally manufactured free of defects in material, workmanship and mechanical function. For the lifetime of the original purchaser, SIG SAUER agrees to correct any defect in the firearm for the original purchaser by repair, adjustment or replacement, at SIG SAUER' option, with the same or comparable quality components (or by replacing the firearms at SIG SAUER' option); provided, however, that the firearm is returned unloaded and freight prepaid to SIG SAUER at 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, NH 03833.

This limited warranty is null and void if the firearm has been misused, damaged (by accident or otherwise), fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper ammunition, fired with an obstruction in the barrel, damaged through failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as described in the manual accompanying the firearm, or if unauthorized repair or any alteration, including of a cosmetic nature, has been performed on the firearm. This limited warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear of any parts.

Subject to the foregoing, this limited warranty confers the right to have the covered firearm or its parts repaired, adjusted or replaced exclusively upon the original purchaser, which right is not transferable to any other person. No implied warranties of any kind are made herein and this warranty does not apply to any accessory items attached or appurtenant to the firearm.

In no event shall SIG SAUER be liable for any incidental or consequential damages arising from or in connection with this limited warranty"...

I’ve attached several pictures of the metal slide separation/failure. I don’t believe anyone was seriously injured when the failure occurred.

I have the gun back in the factory box and I’ll drop it off at Fed EX in the next couple days, the closest Fed Ex hub is around 52 miles away.

Thanks for your help,

Keith
Kentucky Firearms

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:47 pm

I can't help but laugh a little when they try to justify the $150 slide etc...

Thanks for cutting me a good deal to repair the shitty gun you sold me! Lol....

Not funny, but, you know....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Exactly. What was it Eddie Murphy used to say about chinese people "What a Bargain" or something like that.
Kentucky Firearms

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Well
Like I said weld the slide togather
Properly done that will negate the break
If not then the gun is still broken.
I had a guy locally that welded a broken trigger guard to gather.
I know it is not the same but either that or pay SIG

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Another helpful post via Cranky.....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Return to “Rimfire Handguns”