Threaded Barrel conversion (Mosquito)

P22s, mk I, II, III, gsg 1911s, any rim fire pistol.
RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Threaded Barrel conversion (Mosquito)

Post by RedRocker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Just picked up a Sig Mosquito and was wondering if anyone had ever converted from a standard barrel to a threaded barrel? Seems Ive seen a place thru a google search offering a threaded barrel for around $150. I fear I could end up spending more money to convert than I would if I just sold mine and bought another with threaded barrel already.

Anybody ever messed with this or have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Threaded Barrel conversion (Mosquito)

Post by Wyldman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

You probably don't want to hear this, but save your money. Sell the Skeeter and get a threaded SR22 or M&P 22 and be much, much happier. Trust me, you'll turn away much gray hair if you do it my way. My Mosquito had the absolute worst trigger I've ever encountered in a handgun and would not feed more than 2 rds w/o choking.

It runs great, now, but only because I refused to allow it to win. I had to go to extreme lengths to get it to be what it should have been from the get go. There are those that swear their Mosquito was the greatest thing since sliced white bread, but you could never tell it by any of the ones I ever dealt with personally.

Get rid of it and get a real suppressor host. Even a Sig/GSG 1911 22, with it's zinc alloy slide, is a far superior weapon than the Mosquito. Not doggin' on the 1911 22 it's a great little handgun, especially compared to the demon-spawned Mosquito.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm

When I looked to have my mosquito threaded I quickly found it cheaper to sell it and purchase the threaded version. Yah the trigger is rough like previously stated but mine works well when suppressed. It's not that hard to remove the fixed barrel.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't previously considered the SR22 as a host - I had spotty feeding issues with my Walther P22 and couldn't help thinking that the similar SR22 would be the same. Another host gun Id like is a Mark II or III. I haven't even fired the first round out of my Mosquito. I think I will spend some quality time with it at the range as soon as the weather breaks and see just what I have before making any major decisions. Ive probably got 5 more months before I can take possession of my can, so time is on my side.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 pm

The only thing similar between the SR22 and the P22 is the shape. The SR22 is a far superior pistol in every way. None of the P22's I have handled even come close, even the ones that did run correctly from the start. If you want to try an SR22 before buying one, I'll be happy to let you try mine, with or without the can, all I would ask is that you supply your own ammo. So far, mine runs anything I've fed it that is stronger than Colibri rds., even Golden Bullets (if they fire).
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:58 am

Thats good to hear, you're not the first person I've heard suggesting I try a SR22. I may just take you up on that offer to give yours a spin sometime. Thanks

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 am

My local shop has a threaded mosquito for around 379.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 pm

The good news is that I took the mosquito out to the range yesterday for a few minutes (22 degrees outside) and it ran thru some of CCI's finest and some bulk rounds all flawlessly. So at least its a fun plinker toy.

Return to “Rimfire Handguns”