Advice on a .22 for training

P22s, mk I, II, III, gsg 1911s, any rim fire pistol.
hermes418
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Advice on a .22 for training

Post by hermes418 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 pm

New shooter looking for advice. I've shot calibers from .22 to 45, and I just bought my first pistol, a Sig P250 in 9mm. Took it to the range and learned something.

I am not yet ready to fire this gun well.

I've even developed a flinch.

So, I want to get a 22 pistol to learn well/unlearn the bad habits I am already developing. I would like to keep it under $300, but understand that may not be possible. What does the board recommend as a quality learning pistol/revolver?

My primary concerns are that it is:

1) A good trainer
2) accurate
3) will last

I've already had the Ruger MK II is recommended - I personally don't like the look of the gun, but if it is the best tool, I will swallow my pride and get one. Open to suggestions.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Advice on a .22 for training

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 pm

I don't think a 22 caliber anything is your answer. What you will most likely do is make things worse with bigger bangs and practicing with a completely different gun than what you are planning to carry or use regularly.

Dry fire drills. There are plenty of them and you need to be doing a lot of them. 80% of your pistol training can be done without firing a single round. Would be best to get some snap caps though.

Here is a link to one drill that can help. Google for some more and then use your carry gun to practice those, not a 22LR that is dissimilar to your carry gun.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/118

Once you have a better grasp on fundamentals, THEN you can get a 22LR kit for your carry gun to practice some live fire stuff without the expense of the bigger center fire ammo. To get the maximum benefit of this it does require that you have a good functioning kit for your pistol (same trigger, same grip, same weight, just a different caliber).

Just my 2 cents, but I think if you try this first you can save the expense of a new gun right now. Unless you just want the new gun... :)
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

hermes418

Post by hermes418 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:07 pm

I'd kind of like the new gun :)

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Get your self a Sig .22

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or one of the .22 Classic series

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

hermes418 wrote:I'd kind of like the new gun :)
I can completely understand that. Just don't expect to get the results you are looking for with your carry gun.

If you practice bad habits on a 22LR you will transfer those to a 9mm, and they will show up more. Ask me how I know.

Training to overcome bad habits it 100 times more difficult that learning it right from the beginning.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Kadnine » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm

What chopperdoc said. I'm relatively new to pistol, but my rifle experience has taught me that dry fire is where you pay yer dues, the range is just for validation that you need more dry fire.

Focus on the fundamentals (sight alignment, sight picture, breath and trigger control, don't forget follow through) and the flinch will disappear. You'll be too busy to flinch. And practice using an under-sized target. That way the range targets will look HUGE!

And hang out with people who know more than you do. That's why I like this forum so much. I'm learning new stuff every day.

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Save the money and instead of buying a new pistol, go take a few pistol courses. Training corrects bad habits, not switching pistols. Just my .02

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm

You should not be developing a flinch with a full size 9mm. I would guess you're doing SOMETHING wrong... Spending too much of your hard earned money on a .22lr pistol will just mean you're carrying your bad habits over. Instead, use that money to purchase 9mm ammo and go to the range with someone who can teach you. A basic pistol course would set you on the right track.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Hell, if you're too cheap to go to a proper training class (the single best answer, IMO), at least get someone to teach you the proper basics, preferably someone who knows what the hell they're doing. Be ready to listen and learn and don't assume that you know even the basest fundamentals, kind of like asking for our advice and chafing because the answer doesn't involve what you want to hear.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that you came here to ask our advice and that there are some here who are definitely worth listening to if you you really want to learn.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:00 pm

im with coach, do both. get a sig mosquito .22 cal. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:59 am

I suggest buying the 44 I have for sale instead of a 22....after you shoot the 44 a little bit you wont flinch shooting 9mm anymore

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 am

Return to “Rimfire Handguns”