Rimfire rifles. 10/22 home.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Marlin 60 dovetail size

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:22 am

Have a Marlin Glennfield 60 I've had since the 80s and was mounting scope rings on it and notice they were sitting not quite right so I took a set of calibers and measured the dovetail and the top measured 10.83mm. Okay that doesn't seem right, not what should be expect for an older American rimfire, should be closer to 12.70 for a 3/8 dovetail.
Was Marlin using the European standard on their rimfires backthen?

Pulled out a Russian made 22 I have and it measured 10.94mm which is correct (or near enough) for European. A Serbian made Remington and it measured 12.65mm
Unfortunately for measuring purposes all my American made rimfires other than the Marlin 60 have either pic or weaver rails.

Anyone else have a Marlin 60 you can measure?
Dovetail dimensions-01.jpg
Dovetail dimensions-01.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
Last edited by WLJ on Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Marlin 60 dovetail size

Post by plumber_bob » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:32 am

WLJ wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:22 am
Have a Marlin Glennfield 60 I've had since the 80s and was mounting scope rings on it and notice they were sitting not quite right so I took a set of calibers and measured the dovetail and the top measured 10.83mm. Okay that doesn't seem right, not what should be expect for an older American rimfire, should be closer to 12.70 for a 3/8 dovetail.
Was Marlin using the European standard on their rimfires backthen?

Pulled out a Russian made 22 I have and it measured 10.94mm which is correct for European. A Serbian made Remington and it measured 12.65mm
Unfortunately for measuring purposes all my American made rimfires other than the Marlin 60 have either pic or weaver rails.

Anyone else have a Marlin 60 you can measure?

Dovetail dimensions-01.jpg
I've got one but it's a decade or more older. Not sure if that would be much help.
I can check it this afternoon when I get off work if I don't forget by then. lol

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:34 am

Honesty I don't know when this 60 was made, I got it used in the 80s. Traded a guy a single shot 410 for it.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by plumber_bob » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:43 am

Mines late 60's or early 70's I'm pretty sure, as I bought it off a guy for $20 back around 78 or so and it was like new then.

pb

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by nemo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:53 am

Let me check my squirrel stock and papoose.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:54 am

nemo wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:53 am
Let me check my squirrel stock and papoose.
Mine is the squirrel stock

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:59 am

Think my measuring may had solved a little mystery about my Remington Model 5, the Serbian made 22. The Remington 5 is a Zastava MP22R with better finish and nicer stock and of course Remington's name on it..

I noticed when mounting scope rings on it that I had to keep the rearward ring forward of the bolt handle shaft channel otherwise it the shaft would bump into the ring mount. Always thought maybe that was a design oversight but maybe not now or at least not Zastava's. Note how the dovetail measurement on the R5 was for a 3/8 dovetail (American). Maybe the original Zastava has a 11mm dovetail and Remington requested it be changed to 3/8 on the R5 thus making it a touch wider and just wide enough to interfere. Hmmmm

Unfortunately I don't have a Zastava MP22R to measure.
Last edited by WLJ on Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:49 pm

11mm for the 60 - 11.45mm for the papoose (technically a 70 - mag fed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by nemo on Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Life

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:57 pm

WTF Marlin

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:59 pm

Here’s the adaptoid I used to scope the 60. No name brand or marks. Think I bought it off flea-bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-Life

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks I have rings that will work,
More than anything else wanted to make sure my 60 wasn't a freak or something and surprised Marlin would be using the European style dovetail on something back in the 70s and 80s.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:17 pm

According to this website my Marlin 60 was made in 1974

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marlin-s ... -1664.html

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by plumber_bob » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:51 pm

My dove tail measured at 10.75mm
Mine is a Glenfield model 60. Came with a cheap Glenfield scope.
According to your link, mine dates to 1978 which is about right for the time line I bought it in.

pb

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:58 pm

My 60 dates '76 and the papoose '80

-Life

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:27 pm

BTW: It's not just the width that is different

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:00 am

Well poop
In 2020 Marlin was sold to Sturm, Ruger & Co. when Remington Arms assets were sold off. Production of the Model 60 ceased at this time. Ruger relaunched Marlin in fall of 2021. As of January 2022, Ruger announced it has no plans to resume production of the Model 60.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_60

Checked the website, no rimfires listed. Guess Ruger decided since it competed with the 10/22 No Model 60 for you!
I recommenced the 60 to a lot of first time shooters

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:17 am

Looks like parts have gone way up on E-Bay

Return to “Rimfire Rifles”