How tto change mag tubes on Benelli M4. Pics Included!

Scatterguns of all varieties.
GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

How tto change mag tubes on Benelli M4. Pics Included!

Post by GunningBadger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:46 pm

It finally came!! I ordered a titanium full length mag tube from carriercomp.com back in November and it took this long to be fabricated and sent to me (this is normal lead time not panic backorder). Fit and finish look beautiful. I was really impressed with the lightness of the tube. Titanium is a wonderful material. I had previously changed the hammer to a US Giesselle to make the gun 922.r compliant (even though it's a stupid law and rarely enforced I wanted to be in compliance)

So here's your how to guide.

Tools:
Heat Gun
Snap Ring Pliers
A vice with padding
Brass Brush
Grizzly Mint (Optional)

1) Dissassemble the M4 as normal. Refer to your manual. If you can't do this step I would suggest abandoning the project and turfing it to cranky. :llama:

You can see the new full length mag tube at the bottom underneath the existing attached "safely limited" tube.

2) Remove the snap ring holding the magazine tube spring in. Set your snap ring pliers to close when gripped. The spring is under pressure so be careful. Also remove the follower once the spring is out.

3) Mount either the receiver or tube in a padded vice. I chose the tube because if it gets marked at all I really don't care as I'm taking it off anyway.

4) Ok. Now take your heat gun and circumferential heat the receiver and the threaded portion of the factory mag tube. It needs to get to around 250°F to melt the existing red factory thread locker. When you start to see it bubble you're golden.

5) Unscrew the factory tube counterclockwise until removed.

6) There will be a whitish residue left on either the receiver or tube threads. Use your brass brush to clean this out until you see a nice clean receiver shine through.

7)Add a little blue loctite to the threads on the flanged end of the new titanium tube. Make sure to put the piece that retains the handguards on with the open end facing the muzzle. Screw the mag tube back into the receiver.

8) Almost done. Now insert your new follower (US made for compliance) into the mag tube and follow with the spring (also US made). Cap with the snap ring and use the same technique to lock it into place.

9) Reassemble your new benelli m4 and check for function. Happy shooting!

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Re: How tto change mag tubes on Benelli M4. Pics Included!

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks GB! I will likely be doing this sometime in the near future. Can you lay out the costs on the new parts?

GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: How tto change mag tubes on Benelli M4. Pics Included!

Post by GunningBadger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I think the tube, spring, and follower were $189 + shipping from carriercomp. It's all one package so no need to piece it together. Lead time is the only problem. The hammer was $50 from midway. I had planned on adding the hammer as an extra compliance part to allow a collapsible stock so that's up to you. I'll try to do a write up on its disassembly and reassembly. It was not as easy and fun as this was!

Return to “Shotguns”