ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Wife bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 and I got the Rem 870

Post by ProCroation » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 am

Like the title says:

A week or two ago I picked up a Remington 870 12 gauge with the vent ribbed 28" barrel from Rural King in Shelbyville. Got to fire it Saturday, all day at a family gathering. Shot clays from about 3pm to 7 or so. I couldn't hit shit at first. My old Browning A5 I used to have, was a more natural happening for me. Although, I readily admit I'm no expert at shooting moving targets with shotgun, that gun was just easy for me. After some practice though and probably 50 or 60 shells, I got better with this 870. Again, not expert level of course. Just enough to get close to winning a few rounds of "knock out" with the clays. I put about 100 rounds or a bit more through it. She ran like a new gun should and I'm satisfied. I got the laminated wood furniture model.

My wife spent the day shooting my cousin's Benelli SuperNova. She enjoyed it and was a decent shot. Enough so, that she decided she wanted her own shotgun (yay for me, I just got her interested in pistol shooting recently too). We ended up taking a trip to Dick's Sporting Goods today, since it was the only gun place we could find open on a Sunday. She didn't want anything expensive to start out with. Her only requirements were, "it has to be black or camo, short barrel (weight purposes) and 20 gauge:. She went with the Maverick 88 by Mossberg. I'll update this thread once she gets the chance to shoot it. Pictures will be posted of both tomorrow.

It's nice to find this new friend in my wife. Having a shooting partner that's willing to go with me EVERY time I'm ready to put some down range, or field is F-ing awesome. 5 years of marriage and would barely touch a gun. There was always this gap between the two of us, in that respect. I guess she realized the guns weren't leaving (especially since I'm always mentioning the forum stuff too). Wanted to see what all the excitement was about. She caught the bug. Now, sport shooting has improved, strengthened and transformed our marriage (this should be front page news, sticking a finger in the eye of the anti-gunners but this isn't about nor for them). She's not interested in hunting (see also, she's an animal lover)...yet...and that's quite all right with me. So long as she joins me when it's time to perforate some paper silhouettes and shatter some clays. Now SHE'S the one who asks me to go to the range with HER on the weekends.

Signed,

Happy Husband

Co-signed,

This started as a semi-review of 2 firearms, and turned to a review of my wife/marriage
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Wife bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 and I got the Rem 870

Post by Wyldman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 am

Sounds like you need to spend the $135/yr for a membership out at Jefferson Co. Sportsman's Club, or somewhere equivelent. Since we've been members there, everytime I reach for my shooting bag, Mrs. W is right there next to me with hers, ready to go. This has also contributed to several nice birthday presents from her and/or our daughters, such as my JCSC memberships, PSL, H&K USP .45, FNP .45, and most recently, my SR1911.

Just sayin' that the family that shoots together is a lot happier & less prone to strife, plus you can open up a whole new range of potentially uber-cool birthdays!
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:48 am

Good to hear, my wife likes shooting too.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Attachments
20140630_114452.jpg
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Damn good looking 870...

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 pm

I have a maverick 88 in 12ga. It's excellent for the money.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 am

Here's a quick video I took of some of the shooting that day. I just now uploaded it to youtube. Just so you can see how many people we had out there. I think the most we had at one time was 30 shooters with 80 people present. Was a fun day anyway.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Shotguns”