Where it all began

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Where it all began

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 am

The Colt 1905. For those who don't know, this pistol was the first generation of autoloaders to use the brand new smokeless, rimless .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge.

Very different from the final version that became the Model of 1911, but it was the beginning of the path to the world's most copied pistol. Not a very common pistol, I believe the total production was in the neighborhood of 5000 units.

I'm not an expert on these, so forgive any mistakes I might make here in this description. Picture heavy, I'll try to show as much detail as I can. Its a beautiful design, although time proved it had shortcomings. It was basically a larger scale version of the Model 1902, adapted to the .45 caliber.

Same rollmark as my 1914 Government Models, classic!

Beautiful stocks. Real craftsmanship.

Tiny sights, these are virtually identical to the ones used on early 1911/Gov't Models.

Feels good!

The Rampant Colt. Timeless symbol of loyalty and service. (If you've ever wondered what it means, its supposed to symbolize the horse's dedication to his master, and is based on the story of a warrior's mount going on the offensive to break his enemy's spear with his hooves).

Here you can see the slide lock, quite different than on a 1911, travels vertically instead of pivoting on a pin. Has nothing to do with taking down the pistol like the later design. Bit awkward to manipulate.

Barrel profile is different, and uses a slightly different system. More on that after I take it down.

Mag release behind base plate instead of the familiar behind the trigger location on a 1911.

Bushingless design, and this "recoil plug" serves a different function.

The teardown:

The flat looking pin is what holds the slide in place.

Depress plug:

Drift pin out:

Slide is now ready to remove.

Recoil spring is a more integral part of the design than a 1911.

Some similar design features, although simpler.

Locking lugs on barrel (similar to the 1911, although corresponding cuts in the frame that barrel rotates down into as slide retracts).

Barrel uses a rotating link like the 1911, although these (as well as the 1902) have two: one at the muzzle and one at the chamber. See pin in frame here (to left of recoil spring):

And the second is to the left of the slide lock:

A few more features of this pistol worth mentioning:

lack of grip safety, the pistol we know had this feature incorporated just before being accepted into service.

Lack of thumb safety/detents/plunger tube.

Full length dust cover. Known as a "monolith" by some makers, people pay big money for this feature in a modern pistol haha.

That about wraps up my pictorial, I had the pleasure of playing with this little-known gem today while at my parents' house for Father's Day. My dad is the lucky caretaker of this particular piece, I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to see one first hand. He is a lover of history, a careful guardian of our past, and I owe my own passion for all things historic to him. I grew up with him instilling in me a great respect for times gone by. He also happens to be the owner of probably the finest collection of late 19th-early 20th century pistols and revolvers I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in person.

Hope you enjoy the terrible pictures I took with my phone, just thought I'd share.

Happy Father's Day.

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Where it all began

Post by GeminiXD9 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 am

Sweet pictorial/write up mk. Awesome piece of history. Lucky man you are. Happy fathers day to you as well
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by scorpionmain » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 am

Great write up.
I love learning about the mechanics of different pistols.

I bet it does your father's heart good to have a son who has an interest & a genuine appreciation for his hobby. That's the best father's day gift a son could give.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Ian » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 am

Great write up mk, your dad is lucky to have a son like you! Also lucky as shit to own such a fine piece of history.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 333 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 am

Fantastic write up and a beautiful piece of history!

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:12 am

That is one fine looking piece of history!
:llama:

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am

Yeah its definitely an interesting pistol. Not sure if I'm crazy about the durability of the slide design (only thing keeping the slide on the frame is that flat bar) and kinda curious to know if it would be possible for the slide to come off towards the shooter if it failed.

Still, I'd put some rounds through the thing if he would have let me. When I asked he just said no.

Another note, I'm actually the one who found this particular pistol and passed the info on to my dad. As much as I would have liked to pick it up myself, I had just purchased two other Colt S70's so my shopping fund was pretty much depleted.

Oh well, that's how t goes.

Return to “1911s”