Remington R1 1911 good or bad?

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Remington R1 1911 good or bad?

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Have a guy wanting to trade me one... my trade value into it would be $500... in the event that I do not like it and wanna sell it or my ADD kicks in... can I get my money back out of it? buds is asking $670 for them but there is a $75 rebate on them too... thoughts and wisdom on the R1 1911 please.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Remington R1 1911 good or bad?

Post by Toddstang » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Not the best. I like Ruger better. Remington has quality issues.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm

I shot one at the last shot it was great. I think fit & finish was good. It's not Dan Wesson or Night Hawk but a good production 1911. I think 500 ish is a good price on a used one.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:07 pm

The R1 is one of the few Remington firearms you hear good things about and not bad.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:39 pm

I think you're getting a decent but not fantastic deal at $500. That said, you might hang on to it for a little longer given that and the time of year.

There's guns on here now that I think are good deals but aren't moving so fast I assume due to Christmas.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:46 pm

good to know guys. Appreciate the help. I think I'm gonna go on and move forward with the deal and see what happens. I do miss having a 1911 :)

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I have both the R1 and the R1 Enhanced. I like them both and have not had any issues with them.

$500 used is a touch high. These units were on sale not to long ago thru one of the discounters (I think Grab-a-Gun) along with the Remington rebate for a total price around $450-$475 brand new.

Offer him less and see if he goes for it.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:51 am

good to know BK!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 pm

They are asking/selling (lightly used, just range guns here) for average of 600-650 CAN. Guns are typically priced higher here too, so if I was Stateside I'd probably lose interest if it was more than 400 USD. In that price range I'd rather hold out for a Springfield or something similar.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 am

guy apparently lost interest cause he's never emailed me back lol

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:24 am

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:01 am

Here is the current price on GrabAGun:

http://grabagun.com/rem-1911-45acp-5-7r ... 2-mgs.html

Add $6 shipping, then add $15-$25 for FFL transfer. Subtract the rebate and you are in brand new for around $535.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:17 am

I have one. It's a nicely done 1911 and anyone saying it isn't needs to post why. I think they get a bad name because the brand isn't known for 1911's. Take the roll mark off and tell someone it's a Colt, Kimber or Springfield and they all will believe you. And I have plenty to compare it to.

They are a steal for a basic 1911.
:llama:

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:34 am

I have no real experience with them other than picking a few up and handling them briefly. My reason for suggesting a Springfield is because I have experience with them, and for similar money I KNOW first hand they are good to go.

Stamler Machine

Post by Stamler Machine » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:13 pm

I have the enhanced version (1911 R1 Enhanced) with a threaded barrel from the factory...
I REALLY like the fit and finish ... It's tight and a nice polished blued finish on it... and with a suppressor (which is the only way I have shot it so far), I have had no issues whatsoever ...
I assume there is a bit more care taken in the fitting of the slide and frame, barrel and bushing, etc. in the enhanced version, so it might not be a good comparison, but nonetheless, it is a Remington and I am very satisfied with it...
IMG_20140617_123745_244.jpg

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:13 pm

very nice pistol

Rhyatt

Post by Rhyatt » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:29 pm

I have the R1 enhanced with threaded barrel also. Just got it a couple weeks ago.
Haven't used it with a suppressor as I do not have one yet.

This is my first 1911, although I have shot a few. I bought it new for $739 out the door.

It is a series 80 gun so purists may not like that. From what I understand the series 80s gun do not have as nice a trigger as the 70s... but that is beyond my knowledge or experience.

To me the trigger is light and crisp. No creep and while I haven't measure it, it is lighter than my Glock which has a 3.5lb.... also feels a ton better. Which a 1911 should.

Fit and finish was good. When I broke it down for cleaning there was some bluing rubbed off under the take down lever. Not visible when the gun is assembled. As I shoot my guns and consider them tools, it isn't a big deal. After a few years I will likely cerakote it. The bluing doesn't seem that robust.
The barrel feels smooth and well machined. Rifling is crisp. Feed ramp is smooth but probably could be polished.
Feeling down the barrel with my fingers reveals a slight expansion of the barrel near the end where the bushing rides. You can't see it, but I can feel it. I do not know if that is typical of 1911s. It may or may not be the result of the issue I outline below.

Slide to frame was tight and smooth. Slightly gritty before the first cleaning.
Inside the machining looked good. Not as rough as my son's RIA 1911 (which was a great buy at $329 new - about a $100 more now). I do not know if the standard R1 has the same level of work.

Occasionally when working the slide the pistol would fail to go completely into battery. This concerned me, but figured it just needed a good cleaning and to "break in". More on that below.

Disassembly was straight forward and easy. I have done so both with and without the included barrel wrench. The wrench is a nice touch and does make it easier and keeps you from launching parts across the room.

Reassembly is also fairly easy. The take down pin takes a little coaxing but isn't too troublesome.

I am a programmer and a pastor so I don't have "working hands". The grips felt initially very coarse but after shooting it, I like them. They seem to keep the pistol firmly planted without tearing up your palm.

The slot head grip screws did work loose while shooting. I will likely replace them with a Torx or socket head cap screw and a bit of lock-tite.

Sights are basic and functional. They are raised for can usage but don't get too out of the way. Not sure how they do in a holster for carry purposes.

At the range I found the gun to be a better shooter than me. I loaded up with 100 rnds of Federal 230 grain FMJ.
Gun shot very well. When I did every thing right the holes were touching at 10 yards.

I only used the factory mags that came with the gun. Which was two and they were blued 8 rounders. I had no FTE or stovepipes but the pistol did stick going into battery... quite a few times.

It would hang up with the round about halfway into the chamber. A light tap on the back of the slide and it would feed. When I first started it would happen about twice a mag. By the end of the box I could go through an entire mag without a hiccup. So once again, I am hoping with more rounds down it, that will go away. As I said above this also happens if you don't slingshot the slide. So I do not think it is a feeding issue. Time will tell.

Overall I am happy with the purchase. I think the extra for the Enhanced model is worth the money... but with the Ruger and some Springfields also in this range... it is a tough call. Lots of choices out there, which is a good thing but can be hard to make a decision and also can lead to buyer's regret.

After I put a few hundred more rounds down it and see how/if the kinks work out will determine if I stay happy.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Rhyatt wrote:I have the R1 enhanced with threaded barrel also. Just got it a couple weeks ago.

This is my first 1911, although I have shot a few. I bought it new for $739 out the door.

It is a series 80 gun so purists may not like that. From what I understand the series 80s gun do not have as nice a trigger as the 70s... but that is beyond my knowledge or experience.

To me the trigger is light and crisp. No creep and while I haven't measure it, it is lighter than my Glock which has a 3.5lb.... also feels a ton better. Which a 1911 should.

Fit and finish was good. When I broke it down for cleaning there was some bluing rubbed off under the take down lever. Not visible when the gun is assembled. As I shoot my guns and consider them tools, it isn't a big deal. After a few years I will likely cerakote it. The bluing doesn't seem that robust.
The barrel feels smooth and well machined. Rifling is crisp. Feed ramp is smooth but probably could be polished.
Feeling down the barrel with my fingers reveals a slight expansion of the barrel near the end where the bushing rides. You can't see it, but I can feel it. I do not know if that is typical of 1911s. It may or may not be the result of the issue I outline below.

Inside the machining looked good. Not as rough as my son's RIA 1911 (which was a great buy at $329 new - about a $100 more now). I do not know if the standard R1 has the same level of work.

Occasionally when working the slide the pistol would fail to go completely into battery. This concerned me, but figured it just needed a good cleaning and to "break in". More on that below.

Disassembly was straight forward and easy. I have done so both with and without the included barrel wrench. The wrench is a nice touch and does make it easier and keeps you from launching parts across the room.

Reassembly is also fairly easy. The take down pin takes a little coaxing but isn't too troublesome.

I am a programmer and a pastor so I don't have "working hands". The grips felt initially very coarse but after shooting it, I like them. They seem to keep the pistol firmly planted without tearing up your palm.

The slot head grip screws did work loose while shooting. I will likely replace them with a Torx or socket head cap screw and a bit of lock-tite.

Sights are basic and functional. They are raised for can usage but don't get too out of the way. Not sure how they do in a holster for carry purposes.

At the range I found the gun to be a better shooter than me. I loaded up with 100 rnds of Federal 230 grain FMJ.
Gun shot very well. When I did every thing right the holes were touching at 10 yards.

I only used the factory mags that came with the gun. Which was two and they were blued 8 rounders. I had no FTE or stovepipes but the pistol did stick going into battery... quite a few times.

It would hang up with the round about halfway into the chamber. A light tap on the back of the slide and it would feed. When I first started it would happen about twice a mag. By the end of the box I could go through an entire mag without a hiccup. So once again, I am hoping with more rounds down it, that will go away. As I said above this also happens if you don't slingshot the slide. So I do not think it is a feeding issue. Time will tell.

Overall I am happy with the purchase. I think the extra for the Enhanced model is worth the money... but with the Ruger and some Springfields also in this range... it is a tough call. Lots of choices out there, which is a good thing but can be hard to make a decision and also can lead to buyer's regret.

After I put a few hundred more rounds down it and see how/if the kinks work out will determine if I stay happy.
Good first hand review. Thanks
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Marcus wrote:
Rhyatt wrote:I have the R1 enhanced with threaded barrel also. Just got it a couple weeks ago.

Heck of a first post. Welcome
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:20 pm

This one seems pretty good...fully polished and 10,000 year old ivory grips...
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:05 pm

Nice! Love the ivory grips!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:37 pm

Yeah...that's a BBQ gun Keith just did for somebody. Wish I had gotten to see it/photo it before the guy picked it up..lol

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Marcus wrote:

Nice review.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

SSGBPowell

Post by SSGBPowell » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:03 pm

ssracer wrote:This one seems pretty good...fully polished and 10,000 year old ivory grips...
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
Is that a nickle or chrome finish? Is someone local doing it? I would like to dress up one of my 1911s like this one.
I was only going to build one...

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 pm

SSGBPowell wrote:
ssracer wrote:This one seems pretty good...fully polished and 10,000 year old ivory grips...
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
Is that a nickle or chrome finish? Is someone local doing it? I would like to dress up one of my 1911s like this one.
Not sure on the finish. Accurate Armory in lex put that one together

Return to “1911s”