Double barrel 1911

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
Phil_Osophy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Double barrel 1911

Post by Phil_Osophy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Idk if this topic has been brought up on this forum or not. Im sure a lot of you have heard about this thing. Arsenal's double barrel 1911. I would love one for novelty purposes but this thing cant be cheap. According to my research, it was approved to be imported and sold in the usa. Im not sure if this thing would be useful. It must weight a ton.

Ive searched all over but i cant find a place to buy one. Anyone have any more info on where to buy?
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1386549483833.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1386549483833.jpg (77.13 KiB) Viewed 739 times

1fastmach1

Re: Double barrel 1911

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:52 pm

I have nothing to offer here other than wow. That's just crazy. 15 pound pistol!

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm

You would need Andre the Giant hands to hold one of those dam things.

Phil_Osophy

Post by Phil_Osophy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:07 pm

I know its more impractical than a desert eagle, but its so damn cool. I would just like to hold one and see what it feels like. Well id like to fire it too. Think about the look on the cops face that stops you with this thing. Lol.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked. Saw the Shot Show vids, lots of hype, but part of me wonders if its a joke.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I want to shoot it!

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:46 pm

When it was first announced I was with the crowd who thought this was the dumbest idea ever.

Nevertheless, it was recently featured on a episode of TacTV, and it turns out it started out as an intellectual/engineering exercise just to see if it could be done, but they ended up getting so many requests for it that it is now a semi-production item.

I still think it's a novelty item for those who have more money than they know what to do with (I forget the price, but it is *expensive*); however, watching the manufacturing and testing process made me respect what they were able to accomplish.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 pm

I was curious about the design of the fire control components, given that it has two triggers. I haven't found anything solid, but various gleanings have said it is offered with either fixed triggers or independent triggers. Another article stated the triggers are independent, but either will trip the sear(s). Not sure, would like to see an exploded diagram of the parts.

One concern seems to be the possibility of slightly out of sync firing of the two rounds, if the firing pin strikes aren't timed perfectly. Some say catastrophic failure in the event of the second half firing after the slide starts to unlock (as a result of the first half firing).

As for the two triggers, obviously one trigger to fire both would be ideal. Having to rely on human perfection to fire two independent fire control groups at exactly the same time would be difficult, so I'm leaning toward this pistol only having one despite two triggers.

Speculation here, but I'm guessing either both triggers are actually one, or it doesn't matter which one you press. Either will trip the noise maker.

If that's the case, isn't there an issue with one trigger pull firing multiple rounds?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Bet most buyers would buy it just to say they had one and then it would be a safe queen until sold to raise money. IMHO
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:17 pm

My only interest in one would be to open it up and see inside. Also want to know how the barrel bushings work. One clockwise, and one counter?

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 pm

And I'd put the idiot mark on it.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:One concern seems to be the possibility of slightly out of sync firing of the two rounds, if the firing pin strikes aren't timed perfectly. Some say catastrophic failure in the event of the second half firing after the slide starts to unlock (as a result of the first half firing)...
That was the part I found most interesting.

They went to a great deal of effort to ensure not only that the thing will shoot, but that it will shoot well. They showed an example of a target where they intentionally left one firing pin a couple of thousandths longer than the other. The weapon functioned fine, but the ignition time was sufficiently different for the muzzle blast from one barrel to interfere with the bullet exiting the other, producing a "group" of about four inches (if memory serves) at 10 meters. With identical firing pins in place the same gun placed both rounds about an inch apart--roughly the same center-to-center distance as the barrels themselves.

The guns apparently ship with a box worth of ammo carefully loaded to function properly, which will undoubtedly be a lifetime supply for most owners.

It reminds me of a Rube Goldberg contraption: utterly stupid, yet impressive.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:01 pm

That's interesting. Can you link the source?

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Sadly, no, but it was from an episode of "TacTV" (Larry Vickers' show) entitled "Viva La Italy" that aired a couple of weeks ago on The Sportsman Channel. I have no idea if it's available north of the border.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:14 pm

If that's the case, isn't there an issue with one trigger pull firing multiple rounds?

Yes

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:32 pm

guncrank1 wrote:If that's the case, isn't there an issue with one trigger pull firing multiple rounds?

Yes
I'm not up on American gun law. What is the answer here? Does it get put in a specific category?

As stupid as I think this pistol idea is, it does raise some interesting questions. As Frailer said, an engineering exercise. And a legal one too.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:50 pm

How does the saying go
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 am

Mexican Kerry wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:If that's the case, isn't there an issue with one trigger pull firing multiple rounds?

Yes
I'm not up on American gun law. What is the answer here? Does it get put in a specific category?

As stupid as I think this pistol idea is, it does raise some interesting questions. As Frailer said, an engineering exercise. And a legal one too.
The legal defition of a machine gun is more than one round fire with a single pull of the trigger
Two rounds fired with a single pull is a machine gun.

So if this pistol fired two rounds at once ,not importable.
Two triggers fire two rounds importable.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:38 am

ATF approved it- I read the letter somewhere- barfcom I think. They determined one trigger pull fired one round.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:48 am

kokopelli wrote:ATF approved it- I read the letter somewhere- barfcom I think. They determined one trigger pull fired one round.
That could be true , the ATF changes the rules over at will.

Also it is possible that the sample the ATF had would fire one barrel before the other.
Then once it gets to market and fires two rounds at once , ban it.
It happened to Mr Akins and his 10/22 stock

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 am

Didn't he get that through now when he took out the springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:ATF approved it- I read the letter somewhere- barfcom I think. They determined one trigger pull fired one round.
That could be true , the ATF changes the rules over at will.

Also it is possible that the sample the ATF had would fire one barrel before the other.
Then once it gets to market and fires two rounds at once , ban it.
It happened to Mr Akins and his 10/22 stock
yep- they pretty much ruined that man's life. I'm waiting for them to reverse their 'approval' of the Slide Fires...

Return to “1911s”