Colt(s) vs. Springfield vs Remington 1911 showdown!

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Colt(s) vs. Springfield vs Remington 1911 showdown!

Post by Mike » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:29 pm

So today I decided to do a comparative test between a few Colts, my Springfield Range Officer and my Remington R1. I wanted to see if I was able to really tell a difference in them at 25 yards freehanded.

First let me disclose I am not a bullseye shooter and never have been. I shoot for center mass and have learned shooting on Glocks, so this is basically the first time I have ever shot a 1911. Also, I may have a lot of 1911's but I really don't know much about them. And for me, 25 yards is a LOT farther than it sounds!

I was shooting for center dots on plain paper. I'm using winchester white box .45 and Magtech .38 super +P(Colt)

First up was my original 70 series Colt Gold Cup. This gun feels beautiful but I have never even shot it until today. First gun out of the box and I was all over the paper. Made me realize me aiming sucked. I tried a second time after a few other guns aand managed to get my tightest group(I circled it but you can't see it well in the picture-7 rounds within about 4-5 inches 2 o'clock from dot). This made me feel a lot better about the gun because it is clearly more accurate than me. Trigger is sweet and the sights are okay(Elliason). Here is the target after 3 mags(third mag I think I rushed again and put them all over the place)

Next up is another Colt, series 80 in .38 super. This gun shoots really really smooth and makes me want another .38 super to add to the collection. I started off pretty good with it, although slightly right of target. 2 mags and I was happy with the grouping. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the recoil between the .38 super and .45. Both feel about the same.

Next up was the Springfield Range Officer. I have heard so many good things about this gun....and now I know why! It shoots like a dream! Feels great and smooth and all around good! I LOVE this one!

Next up was a Remington R1. I was sleptical about this one but it turned out nicer than expected! It felt a slight bit "sloppy" but that might have been my brain tricking me. I think I threw a few outside the paper with this one. For the price I paid($550) this is a hell of a 1911.

Last was a new Colt series 70 remake in .45. Surprisingly this one was the one I had the most issues on getting on target. I was all over the paper with it. It feels solid but I just didn't shoot it well. I only put one mag on target but threw a few. I don't think I liked the simple sights.

Overall I think I liked the Range Officer and Gold Cup the most, followed very closely by the Colt .38 super(which is RIGHT behind the other two). I think the Colt 70 series comes in forth even though I shot it poorly. The Remington R1 comes last but only because someone HAS to come in last. It's a great gun, but I would take a Colt over it even if the R1 shot better.

There's my unscientific opinion.
:llama:

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Colt(s) vs. Springfield vs Remington 1911 showdown!

Post by Toddstang » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Great review!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:26 pm

The simple GI sights I had on my Springfield made me shoot terrible and that's why I sold mine. Thanks for review.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm

My experience as well. The springfield is among the best shooter of my 1911 guns. Highly impressed with the ones made in the USA.

broncogal
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by broncogal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 pm

my range officer is more accurate than I am. I am catching up though. thinking about getting a Loaded to go along with my range officer and my loaded ultra compact

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 pm

^^^^what she said^^^^^^(I gotta pay attention to who is signed in.)
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Was working on an R1 today, same exact as yours.

Put a bunch of Wilson goodies on it and cerakoted it.

In factory form I wasn't that impressed with it but with some work and a few goodies it feels much better.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Looks a little better now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374856164.421177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374856722.721541.jpg
Still waiting on the Wilson stainless safety.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Not sure I like the look of the random stainless parts over a coated/blue gun. That thumb safety needs to be stainless at least to keep the theme going.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Mike wrote:Not sure I like the look of the random stainless parts over a coated/blue gun. That thumb safety needs to be stainless at least to keep the theme going.
He said that he's waiting on the stainless safety. Easy on the pain meds there mike.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mike wrote:Not sure I like the look of the random stainless parts over a coated/blue gun. That thumb safety needs to be stainless at least to keep the theme going.
He said that he's waiting on the stainless safety. Easy on the pain meds there mike.

You're right, missed that entire sentence. That will make it look a little better.
I put some VZ operator II's on mine and like the look. It's actually a nice feeling and great shooting gun. For the price (I paid at least) it's a great bargain 1911 that shoots really good. But, we all know, nothing beats a Colt! :lol:

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 pm

VZ grips look baller but for comfort and tactical shooting you can't beat Ergo Grips and they are about 1/3 the cost. I put VZ's on my Colt and have Ergos on my Sig TacOps.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 pm

It's done in graphite black cerakote. And like he said I forgot to order it so it wasn't in yet.

I just do want the customer wants, he asked for all stainless controls. The trigger did make a big difference.

Return to “1911s”