Army Chooses Sig Sauer as Army's New Pistol

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Army Chooses Sig Sauer as Army's New Pistol

Post by ssracer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 am

From what I have read the military digs are not affected by this issue. Apparently sig is doing a "voluntary upgrade" program which will likely consist of a new trigger. If they had some something as simple as a trigger safety like nearly every other polymer frame striker fired pistol this would likely have never been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am

SIG SAUER has stopped production of their P320 pistol. Responding to “drop safety” issues, the New Hampshire gunmaker has halted production of one of the company’s most popular handguns until they can include the new “enhanced” trigger in all new P320 models. SIG wouldn’t provide a time frame for restarting production.
SIG SAUER Stops Production of P320, ‘Voluntary [Safety] Upgrade’ Details on Monday
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... on-monday/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:56 am

SIG claims that recent feedback from government agencies evaluating the P320 inspired the enhanced trigger design. The changes were intended to improve trigger feel during the pull and reset. The resulted just happens to fix the drop safety issue, too. According to SIG, they intended to incorporate the changes in all P320 models — at a date the company declined to specify.
MHS M17 ALREADY Fixed P320 Drop Failure Issue; “Voluntary Upgrade” Pistols Will Receive MHS Triggers
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... -triggers/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Taurus quality at a premium price.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Didn't Ruger have a recall or two recently due to drop safety issues?
I seem to recall the LCP being involved in one.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:21 pm

A quick google check shows it was the LCP
Also the CCP had a drop safe recall
And S&W with the M&P Shield
Vektor CP1

Also found a recall on the Springfield XD-S were it could fire upon releasing the slide. OUCH!

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Army must of got some great incentives to buy an unproven pistol. May as well gotten LCP's.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Toddstang wrote:Army must of got some great incentives to buy an unproven pistol. May as well gotten LCP's.
My understanding from the links I provided above is that the M17 doesn't has this issue due to having a different trigger setup. One fix for the P 320 they're considering is to start installing M17 triggers into the P320

gaston_kalash
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by gaston_kalash » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I've read that it's firing because the trigger doesn't have a safety on it itself and the weight of the trigger and inertia is letting it fire. However I highly doubt a trigger only weighing a few ounces would trigger something that take 5 lbs to pull. I personally think it's something internal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SI JE PUIS

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:35 pm

gaston_kalash wrote:I've read that it's firing because the trigger doesn't have a safety on it itself and the weight of the trigger and inertia is letting it fire. However I highly doubt a trigger only weighing a few ounces would trigger something that take 5 lbs to pull. I personally think it's something internal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This exactly.

Trigger doesn't get pulled when the gun drops to the ground.
There is a big ass thread on another site I have just started reading thats about this gun firing when dropped.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's the trigger by itself but something in the trigger mechanism, though the trigger may be a contributing factor

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm

You'd be surprised. They are failing in the exact same drop that my Glocks with the SVII triggers were failing. SVII fixed the issue but it's literally just a trigger shoe. Everything else internal is factory glock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Just guessing on the G forces acted upon the gun at impact at around 10-20Gs. (4.5 to 4.85 m/s to zero in zero distance). Too lazy to do the math right now. So a 2oz (a guess) trigger would have 20-40oz of force acting upon it upon impact. Trigger travel angle to dir of deacc will modify this to a large degree.

Edit: Actual G forces will depend on speed of deceleration which mean actual g force could be as high as 500 or more which definitely could in effect "pull" (something) the trigger. Hard to get an precise number due to I'm uncertain what that number should be at the moment.

Edit Edit: Check out the video in the post below
Last edited by WLJ on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 pm

The math https://vaultcanada.org/FallCalc
Online calc for calc Gs https://rechneronline.de/g-acceleration/
Time is the wildcard here

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Hit in the back with a hammer and it fires.

https://youtu.be/veI5NsDqG9E

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:53 pm

WLJ wrote:Hit in the back with a hammer and it fires.

I smell more lawsuits and a recall.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Toddstang wrote:
WLJ wrote:Hit in the back with a hammer and it fires.

I smell more lawsuits and a recall.
There's already one lawsuit. Some SWAT officer who was shot in the knee when his fell and went off. Apparently it was even holstered, it fell, holster and all, as he was putting his gear in a vehicle.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

ssracer wrote: There's already one lawsuit. Some SWAT officer who was shot in the knee when his fell and went off. Apparently it was even holstered, it fell, holster and all, as he was putting his gear in a vehicle.

Now we can put Sig Knee along side Glock Leg

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 pm

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

That made me chuckle

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 pm

And in this corner

Opinion: The Sig P320 Drop Test Controversy & “Failures” is NOT a Big Deal
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... -big-deal/

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 pm

WLJ wrote:And in this corner

Opinion: The Sig P320 Drop Test Controversy & “Failures” is NOT a Big Deal
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... -big-deal/
Firearmblog is a joke.

ssracer