I Was Shown a New Grip

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
Harb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I Was Shown a New Grip

Post by Harb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 am

I moved to Missouri at the beginning of the year and took the CCW class Friday. During the qualification shoot, my group was ok but my support hand was so weak that I was readjusting after every short. The instructor asked me to change a few things and assume what he called "the push-pull method." Instead of my thumbs riding on top of each other, they were locked at the knuckle joint and my right arm was straightened, also locked. This was very awkward but I saw immediate improvements in recoil mitigation, muzzle flip, and the sizing of my groups went down.

I was rather confused by how my shooting had degraded so quickly, even though I've been doing a dry-fire regiment for several weeks. Do I need to make a mental note to squeeze harder with my left hand?

DDgunslinger

Re: I Was Shown a New Grip

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:19 am

The Majority of your grip on the pistol should come from your support hand 60/40(ish) ... this helps prevent the shooter from milking the grip and allows your firing hand to relax and focus on its primary job... squeezing the trigger.

As for the "push/pull method" it comes down to shooter preference, however I would still prescribed to the "thumbs forward" grib.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:43 pm

I agree with DD, thumbs forward has always been much more stable for me. Locking the thumbs has always felt very awkward to me.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Push-pull has always made me string my shots vertically due to inconsistent grip pressure. What DD described produces the best consistency
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Harb

Post by Harb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks all.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Not really on topic, but where at in MO?
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:06 pm

There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Harb

Post by Harb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Jakob wrote:Not really on topic, but where at in MO?
Ste. Genevieve is where I live now. The name of the town where the class was escapes me...Google "STL CCW."

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”