SCCY 9mm?

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

SCCY 9mm?

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:45 pm

So while out shopping for some .17 ammo, I encountered a brand I'm unfamiliar with. SCCY (apparently pronounced Sky, not S.C.C.Y. haha because I was corrected by a store owner).

I checked one out. It felt good in my hand with the mag extension on it. It slipped in and out of my pocket smoothly (front and back pocket) and was pretty concealable. I liked the size, the feel, the capacity, the chance to pocket carry a gun or comfortably implement a waist holster, as opposed to the limited carrying places for my full size XD40. I mean...I pull it off but I'm self conscious about it being possibly noticed. I liked the price as well...$239.95

The only turn off, was adding another caliber to my already growing needs. I kept wishing it was in .40 as well. I'm all about consolidating my ammo selection (in my mind) yet I keep straying from doing so here lately.

Anyone have one of these? How is the accuracy at home defense distance (for me that's a max of 25 ft). Is it reliable? Is it ammo picky/reluctant? I'm not looking at resale value or winning any gun shows or shooting competitively. So as a home defense and carry weapon, is this a viable option? Or should I just move on from thinking about it?
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: SCCY 9mm?

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:50 pm

AIM sells that brand and that's my extent of seeing them.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Spin off of Keltec from what I remember.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Shot a friend's NIB a couple of weeks ago.

Ran 100% with everything including alum case.
Quality seem to way higher than the price would suggest.
Trigger was long (double action only) and after after 50 shots or so smoothed out nicely.
Accuracy was acceptable once we got used to the trigger.
Surprisingly comfortable in the hand, natural pointer.
Mags are a bear to load fully without a loading aid.
Lifetime warranty and reviews say they're first rate in service.

Check out some reviews on line, most seem to be highly positive.

Note: They're on the 2nd Gen. From what I have read the 1st Gen models did have a few bugs but the reviews I've read seem to intricate those have been worked out with the Gen 2s.
Last edited by WLJ on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Dustin wrote:Spin off of Keltec from what I remember.
Think I read somewhere the company was started by some ex Kel-Tec guys but the SCCY leaves Kel-Tec in the dust for small 9mm's
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Dustin wrote:Spin off of Keltec from what I remember.
Further reading I've done, suggests just that.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Based on WLJ's info and some reading, this was a 2nd gen model I looked at. 1st gen had a manual safety that was highly criticized for some reason. 2nd gen lost the safety altogether. Double action only is a bit of a turn off to me.

Then again...a home intruder wouldn't ask me if he's been shot with a single or double action weapon either...so maybe that doesn't matter. I still have a lot to think about.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:37 pm

ProCroation wrote:Based on WLJ's info and some reading, this was a 2nd gen model I looked at. 1st gen had a manual safety that was highly criticized for some reason. 2nd gen lost the safety altogether. Double action only is a bit of a turn off to me.

Then again...a home intruder wouldn't ask me if he's been shot with a single or double action weapon either...so maybe that doesn't matter. I still have a lot to think about.
2 Gen can be had with or without the safety.
CPX-1 is with CPX-2 is without
The above 1 or 2 is not the Gen number but the model.

http://www.sccy.com/products/handguns

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Just noticed they now have a FDE model now

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 pm

The grip is the visual give-a-way for telling Gen 1s and Gen 2s apart. Both could/can be bought with or without the safety.

Gen 2 above
Gen 1 below

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Coach wrote:Double action only is fiiiiiine. Is the trigger really that hard to pull? :)
Nah...just getting used to it compared to my XD might be a PITA.

Then again...I do have little beeotch hands. I'm a small guy anyway.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:49 pm

WLJ wrote:
ProCroation wrote:Based on WLJ's info and some reading, this was a 2nd gen model I looked at. 1st gen had a manual safety that was highly criticized for some reason. 2nd gen lost the safety altogether. Double action only is a bit of a turn off to me.

Gotcha. It was CPX2 without safety. I thought the 2 was generation.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:50 pm

ProCroation wrote:
WLJ wrote:

Gotcha. It was CPX2 without safety. I thought the 2 was generation.
That threw me off too first time I seen it.
Last edited by WLJ on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:50 pm

WLJ wrote:The grip is the visual give-a-way for telling Gen 1s and Gen 2s apart. Both could/can be bought with or without the safety.

Gen 2 above
Gen 1 below

Yeah I definitely handled the one on top.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 pm

I know the dealer that had them first in Ky;
These are great guns, quality is way above the cost for them- the company was started by an engineer for Kel-Tec who was told to shut-up about 'improvements' to the guns he kept pushing for.
The first gen guns had some problems -from users- with the manual safety model. The company has a lifetime warranty on the guns.
I have played with many of them and am impressed with them. This is tops on my list if I ever choose a 9mm carry gun, and may very well be what I buy my wife to carry.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:54 pm

9mm or .40 M&P Shield ($100 more new or $150-200 more used...haha) is the answer to this question...haha

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 am

Coach wrote:
Niceguy wrote:9mm or .40 M&P Shield ($100 more new or $150-200 more used...haha) is the answer to this question...haha
Agreed. I dig the shield.
I can't argue, I love my Shield. Haven't checked out the SCCY so can't comment on that though. If it were in .40 I wouldn't mind checking one out.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:14 am

Yeah...I thought about this more. I'm not adding another caliber. Can barely keep any .40 cal stocked at home after spending on 6 other type of rounds.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 am

Reloading can solve these problems.

Just sayin'...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:21 am

ProCroation wrote:Yeah...I thought about this more. I'm not adding another caliber. Can barely keep any .40 cal stocked at home after spending on 6 other type of rounds.
How many had gun round types do you shoot? I have guns chambered in .22, 9mm, .40 and .45 but seldom shoot the .22 or the 9mm. I keep them mainly for introducing new shooters.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Rusty...currently .17 .22 .40 .223 .308, 12 & 20 gauge shells and soon will have 7.62x39 so don't want to add 9mm

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Wyldman wrote:Reloading can solve these problems.

Just sayin'...
The cost of .308 ammo alone makes me interested in reloading actually. If i could reload .40 and .308 i wouldn't bitch about ammo haha. Would a reloading press work for both rounds? Just different dies?

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Yes.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:14 pm

The riddle of steel is not for the timid or unawesome!

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Well, damn. I'm both timid and unawesome.

But I do have .308 dies!

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”