Finnish Mosin M24 Civil Guard

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Finnish Mosin M24 Civil Guard

Post by Buccman37 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:05 am

I have had this for almost two years and just wanting to know if anyone has any experience with them.
7.62x54r.net puts the rarity at 8/10. I can post pics of it just let me know what pics you are looking for.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Been liked: 0

Re: Finnish Mosin M24 Civil Guard

Post by Whootsinator » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:20 am

*drool*

I'm quite jealous. Pictures of the stock, any cartouches, sling slots/hangers, see if there's anything under the butt plate, a look at the underside of the receiver tang, the barrel stampings, aaaaand... That might do it.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:52 am

.308 (7.62x53R) or .311 (7.62x54R) barrel?
A lot of the Fins have a .308 barrel instead of the usual .311 for Mosins.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

This rifle's wood is in some rough shape. There are several wood screws for it at the bottom of the buttstock. Has a nice crack on the left side of the receiver and man is it ugly. Looks like its been "in the shit" lol. The barrel is a Bohler-Stahl and I can not find any markings on the wood, only what looks to be hand made carvings maybe someone's name I'm not sure. I also took the buttplate off couple years ago and some nasty ass dirt started coming off!

WLJ I have only fired surplus 54r out of it

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Buccman37 wrote:This rifle's wood is in some rough shape. There are several wood screws for it at the bottom of the buttstock. Has a nice crack on the left side of the receiver and man is it ugly. Looks like its been "in the shit" lol. The barrel is a Bohler-Stahl and I can not find any markings on the wood, only what looks to be hand made carvings maybe someone's name I'm not sure. I also took the buttplate off couple years ago and some nasty ass dirt started coming off!

WLJ I have only fired surplus 54r out of it
Doing a little reading and I think these were mostly 54R. You can still shoot 311 (54R) our of a 308 (53R) barrel but it increases the pressure a touch (not enough to worry about) and it is suppose to wear the barrel out a bit faster. Far as I know the only way to know for sure is to check the barrel.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:36 am

Very cool rifle. Would likely bring a lot of money on gunbroker if you ever wanted to sell it.

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Jason wrote:Very cool rifle. Would likely bring a lot of money on gunbroker if you ever wanted to sell it.
If I did get rid of it I would rather give it to someone on this forum that would take of it.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Buccman37 wrote:
Jason wrote:Very cool rifle. Would likely bring a lot of money on gunbroker if you ever wanted to sell it.
If I did get rid of it I would rather give it to someone on this forum that would take of it.
Sell it to Coach and lots of people would be taking care of it, one right after the other.

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm

WLJ wrote:
Buccman37 wrote:
Sell it to Coach and lots of people would be taking care of it, one right after the other.

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:

haha nice

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Buccman37 wrote:
That's very cool of you. I feel the same way. Would much rather give it to someone who will appreciate it than someone who is going to try to flip it a week later on armslist.

Harb

Post by Harb » Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Best Mosin Nagants ever made. Only rifle I know of where they bayonet is worth as much as the firearm itself.

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:18 am

I wonder how much this rifle is worth

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm not too up on the M24 but I'd guess somewhere between $300-450 locally from what I've seen on gunboards. As always you could get more on gunbroker. It's a nice rifle for sure

MosinMan77

Post by MosinMan77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I bought a Fin M27 last week in Louisville that shoots the same rounds you described(7.62x54R). If you're looking for some good ammo, Keene's in Bardstown sells the stainless steel, non-corrosive WPA rounds for like $12 a box compared to the newer corrosive rounds that are around $16 and up at the places I've seen. Not to mention, Keene's has the best customer service I've seen thus far. Nevertheless, at gun shows you can get the old russian corrosive rounds for like $5 per box. Just depends on how big into cleaning you are. ;)

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:45 pm

I want a carbine model mosin bad. I don't have to have anything special, just something I can sporterize.

karnivore

Post by karnivore » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Value will depend largely on condition and barrel manufacturer. Look to the right side of the barrel just forward of the receiver. If the barrel is marked Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaf you have one of the most desirable Swiss contract versions as there were only appx 5000 made. If the barrel marked Bohler-Stahl then you have a German barrel on your rifle, still very much sought after. If the barrel is unmarked it's most like Finn homegrown but still very much collectable. Another thing that could add to value is the antique receive. Look under receiver tang and if it's marked 1898 or earlier you're looking at an easy $50 + premium as collectors absolutely love antique receivers. Wood may be in rough condition but as long as it doesn't have major damage the stock set itself can command $100 + price tag.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:48 pm

karnivore wrote: Look under receiver tang and if it's marked 1898 or earlier you're looking at an easy $50 + premium as collectors absolutely love antique receivers.
Even more than that if he sells on Gunbroker. People go absolutely bonkers for antique guns. I've often wondered if it's the allure of an older gun or the fact that an FFL doesn't have to be involved in the transaction. Either way, I've seen antique Mosin varieties go sky high the last few months for no other reason than the date.

Return to “Bolt Action”