8mm Mauser questions

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

8mm Mauser questions

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:50 pm

I have a 8mm Mauser that I hardly ever shoot anymore and want to change that. It was a gun I got in 4th grade to deer hunt with and it's stock is cut way down for a little kid and it's not comfortable to shoot like that so I don't. There are probably better long range guns out there but it's a gun I was give by my dad and grandfather and never plan to get rid if it so I would like to get some use out if it again.

What kind of range are they good for with some mods done to them? I would like to swap out the barrel for a heavy/bull barrel and a good stock and whatever other mods suggestions anyone has, be it to the action, trigger, scope, whatever...
What barrel options are best for the money? What are good stock options for it? What other mods would anyone recommend for it?
Thanks for any and all info...

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: 8mm Mauser questions

Post by son of liberty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm

The Mauser is a hugely popular rifle to build in to something beyond what it is. You could throw so much money in to it and build such a tack driver that the sky is the limit.

Take it to Cranky with a pocket full of money and he could really hook you up.

If it were mine I would just get a nice surplus stock and a nice factory contoured barrel in 30-06 and have it re blued. That right there would restore its look to original while being a great shooter. It would cost a bit but not near as much as going full bore all out on it.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 pm

The Masuer was used as the base for custom rifles in the 89/90 and even today.

A complete Masuer should not be done to but to
A sporterized /chopped

Converted back to mil spec it is a rifle that will shoot farther than you can see.

With a bull barrel , bedded in a stock , scope , trigger etc it as good as a GPR

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

8mm Mauser questions

Post by Niceguy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 am

This one is a chopped up, pieced together, rear sight missing gun. I have a 7mm Mauser also that is all original other than a scope added by my grandfather. I plan to pull the scope off and leave it the way it came. He was a huge Mauser fan but as he got older and damn near blind he added scopes to everything. I was wanting to go a little wild with the 8mm since it's a hodge podge gun already. I guess the big question is it a round that's capable of making into a accurate longer range (under 1000 yards, mostly half that distance or less) gun? Obviously anything is possible with the right amount of money but on a budget (maybe around $2000 including a decent scope) is this something that is possible?

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Ballistic wise I would go with a .300 Win Mag or a .30-06
Price wise I guess
But I can't offer a good answer on what a barrel that is 100'years old woukd do.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

8mm Mauser questions

Post by Niceguy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm

So would my best bet be to just stick a stock on this and shoot it and buy or build something else for a long range toy?

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:So would my best bet be to just stick a stock on this and shoot it and buy or build something else for a long range toy?

You answered your own question is THIS^^^^^^^

Return to “Bolt Action”