Why bolt guns?

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Why bolt guns?

Post by Vividia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Made this post on another forum in an answer to "why bolt guns." Want to put what I wrote into my writing journal, which has grown quite dusty over the years. Just can't seem to find the time to sit and write, anymore. Didn't want to lose track of the words while I try to remember which computer the darn journal is on, so I am pasting it here for safe keeping.

Please feel free to post why you like bolt guns. Here is my response:

A bolt gun spreads the pleasure of shooting over more activities than simply pointing and pulling the trigger.

Although I do have one more "modern" BA with a synthetic stock, all the rest are milsurps. I generally find I enjoy them just fine with iron sights, even with my old eyes (just had to find that sweet spot in the bifocals)

-Heft the gun, feel the smooth wood, smell the faint aroma of oil in a beautiful mechanism
-Think about the hands that have held this gun before you, and honor them as you take your time to "do it right"
-Pull back the bolt, feel the cartridge pick up, appreciate the mechanism for it's simplicity and reliability
-Hear the "Snik, chuk "of chambering and locking, and the satisfaction of KNOWING it's chambered and locked because you did it yourself
-Shove the stock into the sweet spot on the shoulder (carefully because I am a woman LOL)
-Find the target
-Breathe in, breathe out
-Then, pull that sweet trigger through the break
-Feel the kick
-See the accuracy
-Marvel once again at the remarkable achievements of the makers, who didn't have the "benefit" of fine-tuned computer-based building, but had to rely on skill and care
-Rinse, repeat

Springfield 03A3, Model 1898 Krag, VZ24, Enfield No 4 Mk II, Enfield Jungle Carbine, Various 91/30's, Mosin M44, Spanish Mauser, Howa 1500, Couple of straight pulls 96/11 and K31, and a couple of others I am probably forgetting

Don't get me wrong, I am not a self-loader hater - M1 Garand, FN49, SKS, WASR 10/63, Beretta MR1 and the obligatory AR 15 in a couple of flavors, and I love them all, too, but....

The 03A3 just "fits" me and the action of the Krag is smooth like the caress of a soft, early morning summer breeze

Every shot is a pleasurable ritual, and leaves me breathless for the next one

And THAT"s why I love bolt guns
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Why bolt guns?

Post by Marcus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Like always Vivi, a very nice write up.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Why bolt guns?

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:08 pm

It is kind of like switching gears on a motorcycle for me and I love to be the one in charge of what gear I am in so that is one of my reasons.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Why bolt guns?

Post by wash » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Good read Viv. Makes me want to shoot a Mosin, but then again, what doesn't? :llama:

I did enjoy the piece.

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 pm

I worked in the machine tool/aerospace industry for 30 years. I love to take a Mauser apart and see all the machining that went into each part. I have several rifles over 100 years old that I shoot regularly. If I could only have 1 rifle, it would be a Mauser bolt rifle. I also have a Krag, Swiss K31 and 96/11, at least 10 Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines, along with my 7 Mausers.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by wash » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:04 pm

I need to add a Mauser to my collection in the near future.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:27 am

My first high powered rifle was a 8mm mauser and now I have a 7mm , a 22-2d0 and a .22 in bolt and love them all"! I LOVE bolt guns...

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 am

Because semi autos don't cycle the really quiet stuff....
:llama:

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:39 am

wash wrote:Good read Viv. Makes me want to shoot a Mosin, but then again, what doesn't? :llama:

I did enjoy the piece.
One handing a bolt gun. Even sweeter :llama:

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:09 pm

becuase that is the best money this Gunsmith made and the most accurate rifles I have built have been Bolt guns

And I like em myself

Return to “Bolt Action”