Turkish "mosin" ???

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
JBones
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Turkish "mosin" ???

Post by JBones » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:14 pm

1st off excuse my ignorance on surplus bolt actions. I came across what looked like a mosin carbine the other day at a small shop. The guy said it was the Turkish version of a nagant. I googled several different things and came up with nothing. Any ideas on what it could be? If so quality? Price range? Waste of time?
Thanks.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Turkish "mosin" ???

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:50 pm

No such thing

It is a Mauser rifle

JBones

Post by JBones » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:04 pm

guncrank1 wrote:No such thing

It is a Mauser rifle
Thank you very much. How are the as far as quality/accuracy?

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 pm

I had Mauser in 8mm shoot great till i forget to clean it after shooting surplus ammo.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 pm

Real Mauser rifles are the benchmark standard for modern bolt action rifles.

I have seen some Turkish copies of various types and many were quite good.

I have also seen some Turkish copies I was hesitant to even touch, they looked uber-rough, poorly made.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

JBones

Post by JBones » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Thank you again for the help

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:44 pm

JBones wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:No such thing

It is a Mauser rifle
Thank you very much. How are the as far as quality/accuracy?

Turk rank as a shooter - no collector value to me. The rifle have bucket accuracy- minute of deer for the most part

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Go here
http://7.62x54r.net/

And here
Mosin-Nagant Dot Net Presents:
Mosin - Mausers And The Nation Of Turkey
http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mos ... Mosins.asp

Note the sections underlined
During World War I the standard Turkish military long arm was the M1903 Mauser although the other Mausers mentioned above were also used, as were additional Model 98s supplied to the Turks by their German ally. In addition to the Brothers Mauser’s gift to human betterment the Turks made use of Russia’s Mosin-Nagant 7.62 mm M1891 rifle. The Turks acquired these weapons by two methods: capture from the Russians during the bitter fighting in eastern Anatolia, mostly in 1915, and as war-aid from the Germans, who captured huge quantities of them in Europe on the Eastern Front. Many of the German-supplied Mosins had been altered to fire the standard German 7.9 x 57 mm military round, easing supply and logistics problems for the Turks. These Russian rifles in the original caliber were used largely in eastern Anatolia, where there was always the possibility that more ammunition and rifles could be captured from the Russians. Mosins, evidently of both calibers, were also used on the Southern Front in Palestine. Why Turkish units in the Holy Land should have been so blessed is a mystery. As ever, many of these rifles can be identified as Turkish by their Arabic numbers, crescents, etc.
So some Mosins while not of Turkish manufacturer may have Turkish markings and some are even chambered in 8mm.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm

I stand corrected , there may be Turkish marked M-N
Turkish only made Mauser style rifles

JBones

Post by JBones » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:38 am

WLJ wrote:Go here
http://7.62x54r.net/

And here
Mosin-Nagant Dot Net Presents:
Mosin - Mausers And The Nation Of Turkey
http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mos ... Mosins.asp

Note the sections underlined
During World War I the standard Turkish military long arm was the M1903 Mauser although the other Mausers mentioned above were also used, as were additional Model 98s supplied to the Turks by their German ally. In addition to the Brothers Mauser’s gift to human betterment the Turks made use of Russia’s Mosin-Nagant 7.62 mm M1891 rifle. The Turks acquired these weapons by two methods: capture from the Russians during the bitter fighting in eastern Anatolia, mostly in 1915, and as war-aid from the Germans, who captured huge quantities of them in Europe on the Eastern Front. Many of the German-supplied Mosins had been altered to fire the standard German 7.9 x 57 mm military round, easing supply and logistics problems for the Turks. These Russian rifles in the original caliber were used largely in eastern Anatolia, where there was always the possibility that more ammunition and rifles could be captured from the Russians. Mosins, evidently of both calibers, were also used on the Southern Front in Palestine. Why Turkish units in the Holy Land should have been so blessed is a mystery. As ever, many of these rifles can be identified as Turkish by their Arabic numbers, crescents, etc.
So some Mosins while not of Turkish manufacturer may have Turkish markings and some are even chambered in 8mm.
Great information! Thank you, I'm going to try to stop and actually check out the rifle this afternoon.

Return to “Bolt Action”