Tikka t3 question

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Tikka t3 question

Post by CCRBUM » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:38 am

So I found a used Tikka t3 in 308 with a wood stock at a local gun shop for $550. It's got a Nikon 3-9 prostaff sitting on it. Gun is in decent shape but has some dings in the stock, a couple of surface rust spots and looks like its NEVER been cleaned. They have it listed at $699 but said they'd do $550 for it. I don't have ANY experience with them so I'm not sure if thats a good deal or not... barrel looks good other than a bunch of crud from not cleaning it... I'd bore snake it before eI purchased it to make sure there was no pitting or anything that would make it junk... It appears to be an older t3 and not the new hunter. Thoughts? also found a 700 AAC-SD in 308 with a Leupold VX3 3.5x10 supposedly only 8 rounds through it for $850.. I'm not sure the wife will go for the $850 but I think she'll say yes to the $550...

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Tikka t3 question

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:03 am

Tikia new are expensive , so 550 is a good price for a rifle with out surface rust and crud.

Don't buy without being able to look at metal under the wood.

The bore not so much as far as I am thinking

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:10 am

Have the same rifle and IMO Tikka's are among the most overlooked rifles out there, you can spend a heck of a lot more money and still not get a better rifle. Most everything you've heard about Sako mostly applies to Tikka as well since they're actually made by Sako as their budget rifle. But don't let the word budget mislead you, they've still got 99% of Sako's famed accuracy with the smoothest action in the business. The Finns don't mess around when it comes to rifles. Google reviews on the Tikka T3 line and 99% of them have nothing but praise for the T3 line. Only thing I don't like is that the extended magazines are stupid expensive and some people harp on some of parts being plastic but I haven't heard or seen one report when that was an issue one bit. Now all of this depends on the condition of the rifle in question since you're looking at a used one.
A warning though, the T3 line is a bit on the light side so the recoil can be a bit harsh with the stock buttpad.

BTW:They usually go for around 600-650 NIB without optics.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:49 am

I wouldn't spend that much on a newer rifle that is all beat up and rusted and stuff. Just me. If you are set on that model spend a little more for a new one and save up for some glass or get used glass. If money is a big issue, just get a new ruger american and some decent glass for 500.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:19 am

I can't speak to the Tikka, but i do own a 700 AAC-SD in .308.

New these rifles are $600 at Buds, maybe teensy bit lower if you can find one on sale somewhere. That scope is $500 on optics planet (I didn't check anywhere else). So $850 doesn't sound too bad for me if it's a clean example.

The pluses:
The barrel is only 20" which some don't like for a "precision" rifle. However, it is a heavy barrel which
makes up for an inch or 4 of length in a lighter barrel. I also like that the shorter length makes it a bit easier to manage.

Barrel has 1-10" twist, which also makes up for some barrel length, and i have shot heavier bullets with good results with it.

Factory threaded if you want to add your own muzzle device. Mine has a silencerco ASR brake for the Specwar. Very neat to shoot suppressed at home for practice. (I can also buy the ASR mount for the Saker, but haven't yet)

Aftermarket toys for the 700 are plentiful. This can be a long term investment/project.

I shoot it well ha ha :) Mine has a Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST FFP scope on it. I thought enough of the rifle to put my best scope on it.

Cons:

Trigger might be subject to the recall (you can check the serial number on Remington's site on your phone at the store ;) ). Mine was subject to the recall, but I didn't mind. Since I bought it to learn precision shooting, i planned on replacing the trigger anyway with a Timney. This rifle is awesome with the Timney. I sent the trigger in by itself to keep for if i ever sell the rifle, i will keep the timney and put the stock back in.

Some don't like the X-Mark Pro trigger. I have the same rifle in 300 BLK, and this trigger is newer and was not subject to the recall. I don't mind the trigger at all. It doesn't have a lot of takeup, the break is pretty crisp and it's adjustable. It is not quite a smooth as the Timney, but I didn't spend $200 on it LOL.

The stock is a Hogue overmolded. It is quite flexible, which many don't like. I plan on stiffening the forearm with some stock putty. When I can out shoot the rifle, I will replace the stock with something else from McMillan, B&C or H&S.

Again on the stock, the flexible forearm does touch that heavy barrel when any pressure at all is put on it, like on a rest. I solved this by simply drinking a sprite and cutting up the can to put a couple of thicknesses of sprite can around the front action screw. Problem solved. (I have the same stock on a Howa 1500 compact ranch, and the thinner barrel does not touch.)

I will take my time selecting the right stock, but I can easily put rounds down range with decent accuracy for now. At my stage of development, that means my best is 5 shots in the size of a nickel at 100 yards. I will take it.

Having said all that, I have heard really good things about the Tikka. It just depends on what your goal for the rifle would be. I just know I really like the 700 AAC-SD.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by bigelowe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:25 am

You can buy a new savage 10/110 with scope for less than that. Savage has rebate right now. Could put you in mid $400 range. Savage axis II would be even cheaper. Not a savage fan boy, but accuracy should be comparable. I guess it depends on rifles purpose though.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:29 pm

thanks for the info. If I do ge the tikka I'll see if they will let me tear it down first and inspect everything on it. As far as buying a budget rifle NEW vs buying one of these rifles used. I'm not really looking for a budget rifle as much a decent rifle and potentially great starter platform on a budget. I'm suppose to be going out of town this week but they is up in the air now... I may go back over tomorrow and look at the tikka.... As to the Remington, I use to have an SPS tactical and other than the stock, I loved it so going to one threaded would be great. The price also caught my eye.. and I found the same prices Vividia when I looked into stuff..

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by irishrob » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:42 pm

I have 700 sps varmint in 308 I may be willing to trade if You have anything you might want to get rid of. Still in the box. I haven't even put the bolt in yet. Haven't had the chance to get out & try it yet & don't know when I'll find time to.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:28 pm

CCRBUM wrote:thanks for the info. If I do ge the tikka I'll see if they will let me tear it down first and inspect everything on it. As far as buying a budget rifle NEW vs buying one of these rifles used. I'm not really looking for a budget rifle as much a decent rifle and potentially great starter platform on a budget. I'm suppose to be going out of town this week but they is up in the air now... I may go back over tomorrow and look at the tikka.... As to the Remington, I use to have an SPS tactical and other than the stock, I loved it so going to one threaded would be great. The price also caught my eye.. and I found the same prices Vividia when I looked into stuff..
Get a 7mm Mauser for cheap and sporterize it. Great round, amazing action, great over all rifle and can usually be had for fairly cheap...

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 pm

There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:50 am

^^^^^^^ very pretty!

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:09 pm

-UPDATE-

by the time I got back in town the 700 was sold... the Tikka was marked down to a shelf price of $550 but they wouldn't go lower.. looking at it closer its a Tikka 595. It look pretty dirty... but they did have a t3 stainless in 243 wearing a Nikon Monarch 3 4x16 sitting on the counter that they just set out there this morning... ending up coming home with it... Very clean rifle! Tomorrow morning we shall get aquatinted and if dissatisfied she'll be posted for sale lol... I'll give an update in the morning... I kept trying to find something bad about it (other than it not being 308 or 30-06) but I came up empty handed....

Return to “Bolt Action”