M40 vs m24 stock - opinions?

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

M40 vs m24 stock - opinions?

Post by Vividia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 am

I have a M700 that came with the Hogue overmolded stock. This is the AAC-SD, so is the heavy barrel, 20" threaded version. Due to the diameter of the barrel, the Hogue ha enough flex in it that the barrel touched the stock with pressure from bipod or rest, so I shimmed it. That improved things (along with the timney trigger).

However, as I improve, and then work up loads for it, I know I will need to invest in a better stock. At this juncture, I don't intend to invest in a chassis system. Maybe some day, but I believe in crawl-walk-run, and don't want to jump off that cliff until I am a better shooter and can pick the best one for me then, not now.

So, I am down to the HS M24 or the B&C M40. They are not too far from one another in price, and I would appreciate some feedback from those who might have used one or the other or both. This won't be an immediate purchase, so I'll take my time deciding.

Thanks!

Edit fixed type on subject line
Last edited by Vividia on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: M40 vs m70 stock - opinions?

Post by Wyldman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:37 am

I have used Bell & Carlson stocks on several rifles and always had good results.

From the WyldPhone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

yagreg
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times

Re: M40 vs m24 stock - opinions?

Post by yagreg » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:29 pm

I prefer the factory take off HS Precision 5R or P/PSS stocks. They're not overly expensive but do pretty much the same job the $500 and up stocks do.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:52 pm

HS precision employs the shooter from Ruby Ridge(Lon Horiuchi) and as such I will not have any part of them.
Ruby Ridge , Randy Weaver found Innocent of all crime, yet the manslaughter charges against Lon Horiuchi dropped after the case was taken by a federal court from the state court and dismissed on sovereign immunity. Though Randy Weaver won the civil case and was awarded 3.1 million dollars.

There is also some controversy about his shots at Waco as well. FBI Agents report hearing him fire first then retract there statements, claimed he fired 3 rounds but 12 empties were found in his hide, no match possible as by the time it went before someone official he had rebarreled his rifle.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:16 pm

B&C. /thread

From the WyldPhone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:43 pm

This thread took a left turn rather quickly.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Toddstang wrote:This thread took a left turn rather quickly.
Indeed. Good thing I am not in a hurry LOL

TBH I was leaning M40 and started looking at the M24 later. I was thinking it appeared the comb was a little higher on the M40 while keeping the heel shouldered to keep the recoil in a straight line, since they had to put a little cutout in the M40 for bolt removal. On the other hand the M24 is newer and current issue, so wondered there was something that made it better.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:24 pm

M24 between the two. Best for me is the McMillan A5. They call the stocks furniture for a reason. Try getting in the prone position for a bit with each if possible. Happy hunting.
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:12 pm

I like a fiberglass/Kevlar/plastic/wood semi and blanks , I make my own.

Return to “Bolt Action”