New scope questions.

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
Statcher1
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

New scope questions.

Post by Statcher1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Hey guys I just picked ordered a new scope this morning. It's a Leapers UTG Accushot Precision Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.5-6x 44mm IE-36 Color Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle with Medium Rings Matte. Do any of you guys have any experience or an idea if this scope is a good upgrade for my old bushnell 3x9x30. All of the reviews I have read were postive on it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417295875.017233.jpg

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: New scope questions.

Post by WLJ » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Leapers = NCStar
In other words don't put it on anything with recoil and/or anything your life may depend on.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:30 pm

Bushnell > Leapers

Statcher1

Post by Statcher1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:36 pm

Ah I wish I had asked this before I bought it. Do you guys think it will hold up for awhile in my 30-06? I got it for $100 on sale. So it's not a big waste of money if it don't work out

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Keep your receipt.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Hell, just return it. lol

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Statcher1 wrote:Ah I wish I had asked this before I bought it. Do you guys think it will hold up for awhile in my 30-06? I got it for $100 on sale. So it's not a big waste of money if it don't work out

It very well could and I have seen people use them with success, but these things have a habit of failing at the worst possible moment. I, IMHO, wouldn't trust it for anything other than range duty.
Odds of a Leapers failing is much greater than the odds of a Bushnell failing.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Statcher1

Post by Statcher1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I may try to get up with Midway first thing Monday morning and cancel my order on it. And move on to something else

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:19 pm

UTG/Leapers is actually an American company , yes much is outsourced to china , but so it allot of name brand stuff. All I ask is they are upfront with the origin of each piece. They had the single best rail I have held yet, I have a Noveske NSR on one of my rifles and the UTG Slim Keymod beats it. This is no way an Endorsement of that scope or UTG/Leapers , But there quality is on the rise , so testing dose need to continue , the blanket statement that UTG is crap , may not hold true forever.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Here is the lone voice....

I have used cheaper version of Tasco on a Ruger 77 and never had to replace it yet.
Of course it only has 160 actual rounds.

But to me your scope is OK

jrobin3360

Post by jrobin3360 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:18 am

WLJ wrote:Leapers = NCStar
In other words don't put it on anything with recoil and/or anything your life may depend on.
Put an NCStar on my SKS. After 15 rounds of trying to zero the scope, the reticule skewed 45 degrees & I heard something loose inside. $75 shot to hell.
If you haven't mounted it yet, I'd return it.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:14 am

I have not had good luck with their scopes.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:28 am

I want to be clear on what I meant by Leapers = NcStar, I meant in terms of quality not that they're the same company. Leapers/UTG is an American owned company while NCStar is Chinese. Now that said some Leapers scopes appear very similar to NCStar scopes and very well could be coming from the same factory but many are definity are not. Many Leapers/UTG rails and other gun items I have found to be fairly decent quality for the money, not the greatest by a long shot but decent for the money. But in optics Leapers has not had the best reputation. After doing from light internet reading many are of the opinion that they are moving up the quality ladder, better than NCStar now perhaps but still one the bottom feeders.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:45 am

jrobin3360 wrote:
WLJ wrote:Leapers = NCStar
Put an NCStar on my SKS. After 15 rounds of trying to zero the scope, the reticule skewed 45 degrees & I heard something loose inside. $75 shot to hell.
Not endorsing NCStar by a long shot but they do have a lifetime warranty, sent it in.

Return to “Bolt Action”