Remington 700 XHR, wierd triangle thing going on.

From anschutz to tikka, post up about your favorite bolt action rifles.
KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Remington 700 XHR, wierd triangle thing going on.

Post by KYGlassman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 am

It was a good year for my boa breeding projects. I actually made a modest profit finally and also traded for a few pea shooters.

One I recently aquired was this odd rifle with a triangle shape to the barrel. I read a bit about them and there seemed no general consensus. When I took it to the range the first time no one even noticed the barrel.

It's covered in some nice camo on a synthetic stock. I'm NOT a fan of plastic stocks but can live with it if they are camo. This rifle is chambered in 30-06 and has a Vortex Crossfire 3.5-10 X 44 sitting on top.

The previous owner special ordered the rifle and scope new and never even got it sighted in. Supposedly he hadn't cleaned it and the barrel looked new inside.

At the range I was really surprised at how little felt recoil I experienced. This is currently my largest centerfire. I've shot larger rifles mind you but I've also shot 243 rifles that I felt more, including that POS Rossi youth model I shot this same day helping a young gal prepare for her first hunt. I could shoot this rifle all day and quickly went through a box of shells.

At 25 yards my first shot was 3" low. My next two wenth throught the same hole in the bullseye after a scope adjustment.

I got cocky and moved out to 150 yards. Two shots grouped almost touching high and left. Some measuring and scope adjusting later my next two were almost touching on the bullseye.

I quickly ran through the rest of a box of shells, testing just how friendly to shoot this gun was and how it grouped if I wasn't doing my part perfect. The remaining shots were and inch to 2 inches low and in a hortizontal string about 4" end to end, outer holed edge to outer hole edge.

This is going to make an excellent shooting, easty to carry due to it
s light weight field rifle for me. I wasn't that excited about it really but at the range I found a new friend I'm proud to have in the safe.

I don't know that the triangle barrel means a damn thing regarding accuracy but it's a conversation starter. Again, I'm really impressed with how easy it is to shoot this rifle well. My 30-30 Marlin is much worse to deal with and becomes a chore to shoot eventually.

Anyone else got any comments on these triangle barrells or perhaps the 30-06 in Remmy synthetic stock?

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Remington 700 XHR, wierd triangle thing going on.

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:35 am

That is a better barrel than The standard rem barrels, but it is still a mass produced, non hand lapped factory barrel. I could never justify the price. The rem plastic stocks are complete junk. I mean like cheap air soft junk. The lack of felt recoil is because the stock is so flimsy. I don't even consider it suitable for hunting. At the very least, swap it out with a hogue over molded
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:09 am

700 factory rifles are plenty good for target shooting and even hunting.

The triangle barrel is marketing hype.
They shoot no better than a round barrel
Hex or octagon should be six or 8 time better, no they are not

Same with fluting , mostly marketing BS.

But that said , if you really want to get a butthurt storm , get on FacePage and bad mouth the
A guy who just bought a 600.00 Black Whole twisty turnie fluted barrel.
Hahahah

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 am

For the most part, you are right, but a lot of shooters have experienced better accuracy using factory ammo. The consensus is that the shape makes for a barrel that is more consistent across a wider velocity range, but not necessarily produce better peak accuracy.

Fluting is not intended to improve accuracy. It is used for two reasons. Aesthetics or weight. Fluting reduces the weight to stiffness ratio.

Of course, just like anything else designed for a unique purpose, many people buy into it just to look like they know something
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:14 am

PDM wrote:For the most part, you are right, but a lot of shooters have experienced better accuracy using factory ammo. The consensus is that the shape makes for a barrel that is more consistent across a wider velocity range, but not necessarily produce better peak accuracy.

Fluting is not intended to improve accuracy. It is used for two reasons. Aesthetics or weight. Fluting reduces the weight to stiffness ratio.

Of course, just like anything else designed for a unique purpose, many people buy into it just to look like they know something
Fluting does nothing usefull
It certainly does not make a barrel stiffer, again it is marketing hype .
When you make a groove in the outside you do reduce the weight but you introduce a stress point along the inside groove.

You want to have stiff you add diameter or introduce a a outside pressure point that pulls.

And yeah to some it is done for "coolness"

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:33 am

guncrank1 wrote:When you make a groove in the outside you do reduce the weight but you introduce a stress point along the inside groove.
The stress concentration cause by fluting is on the high point of the grooves (outermost surface of the barrel). Only spiral fluting (to a small extent) and fluting cut perpendicular to the barrel (which is not used) would cause stress concentration in the valley of the cut.
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:43 am

PDM wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:When you make a groove in the outside you do reduce the weight but you introduce a stress point along the inside groove.
The stress concentration cause by fluting is on the high point of the grooves (outermost surface of the barrel). Only spiral fluting (to a small extent) and fluting cut perpendicular to the barrel (which is not used) would cause stress concentration in the valley of the cut.

Stress points are put at any point that is at a right angle so that would be at the junction of the straight wall and curve given use of a ball end mill.

There is no stress on the outside of a barrel, as gun barrels are stress relieved , as barrel steel is in a annealed state.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:19 am

True.

I was referring to what happens when the gun is fired.
Tench Coxe

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:45 am

The same as I
A gun barrel " under fire" both expands and flexes as the bullet passes down the bore.
It look just like a snake eating a egg.
Plus the hayrmonic viberation will move it where it will.
Anytime a device is added , like a break , flash hider or suppressor will and can effect this movement.

Just as it does when a barrel is turned to a smaller diameter or threaded or fluted.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:58 am

Anyway KGM glad you have a nice rifle, even if it has a goofy looking barrel :llama:

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by KYGlassman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:46 pm

For what I intend to do (hunting) with this particular rifle it is more than adequate as it is. I have another Remmy 700 BDL in 25-06 that I'm using as I start to explore shooting at longer ranges in the future.

For hunting though, this little rifle will seemingly be very adequate. I'm learning a few things so I appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Just a heads up on that stock. The reason I called it junk is because depending on where or how you rest the rifle, the zero will change. I learned this the hard way with the first 700 I shot with this stock. If it works for you, great. You don't have to fix it. I just don't want you to have to chase your tail like I did. It is a nice rifle though. Good luck
Tench Coxe

Return to “Bolt Action”