Swimming

This forum is for workout plans, fitness challenges, body image changes, and general fitness.
KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 72 times

Swimming

Post by KYgundude » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 pm

So during my surgical recovery I limped for a couple of weeks. This caused a severe tightening in my glute and hip flexors on the other side. My return to running caused me to get Patellofemorol Pain Syndrome in that knee (Knee from surgery is doing great LOL). I'm now severely limited in my running for at least a few weeks. Went from 7 miles to only being able to go 2 before the pain is there. No hills, no speed work, no running partners. I was thinking of lap swimming or pool running. So far I've found the Mary T Meahger Aquatic center that's supposedly ridiculously busy and my local YMCA which has limited lap swim lanes most of the time.

Advice? Locations? On the cheap is always better. Certainly not into contracts.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Swimming

Post by Dustin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:45 am

Baptist Health Milestone Wellness Center

Has a nice pool. But I know its pricey.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:57 am

Dustin wrote:Baptist Health Milestone Wellness Center

Has a nice pool. But I know its pricey.
Yeah I scoped them out due to the indoor track. 85 bucks a month with a years contract. BEAUTIFUL setup but I don't have the spondolees.

I just really need to find a way to maintain my endurance. I had made it back up to 5 miles and at the moment I can only run 2 before the pain does me in. Trying to find a way to maintain my endurance so when I'm healed I only need to get another 1.2 miles out to be able to race the Great Pumpkin 10K (my personal goal) in 5 weeks. Ellipticals are uncomfortable and I just plain dislike the bike(but will ride it if I have no choice). I thought swimming might be cool.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:19 am

The river is free :)

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Dave1965 wrote:The river is free :)
I should have clarified I'm looking to swim in water not chocolate milk :llama:

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Don't know of anywhere to swim (that is not chocolate milk), but if you don't already have a good repertoire of mobility exercises (upstream and downstream of the knee) can I recommend you check out MobilityWOD.com. He also has a YouTube channel.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:11 pm

PDM wrote:Don't know of anywhere to swim (that is not chocolate milk), but if you don't already have a good repertoire of mobility exercises (upstream and downstream of the knee) can I recommend you check out MobilityWOD.com. He also has a YouTube channel.
Supple Leopard +1
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 pm

PDM wrote:Don't know of anywhere to swim (that is not chocolate milk), but if you don't already have a good repertoire of mobility exercises (upstream and downstream of the knee) can I recommend you check out MobilityWOD.com. He also has a YouTube channel.
Well familiar with Mobility WOD. Been checking out their couch stretch. I am looking to maintain cardiovascular fitness. I have settled with my recumbent stationary bike. It's a really nice one but it's boring.

I'm still working out but unable to squat, deadlift or loaded lunges. I am also still doing Yoga and running 2ish miles 3-4 days a week. Trying to get back to 18 miles/week.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Let me just say that lacrosse balls and jump stretch bands are worth their weight in gold. You don't have to buy the expensive yoga balls
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 pm

people were swimming (and bathing) in brown water before it was cool...

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:07 pm

PDM wrote:Let me just say that lacrosse balls and jump stretch bands are worth their weight in gold. You don't have to buy the expensive yoga balls
I don't know what the lacrosse balls thing is about but if you mean for pressure point's I've got a 5" massage ball from physical therapy along with half a dozen Therabands. Yoga is just really good shit for runners. I stretch, roll and also do core exercises all the time.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by SNL » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:51 am

Maybe a rowing machine would help w cardio. I see these used in crossfit.

I petsonally like tectrix machines for low speed but a fast heart rate. Not sure if their ok on your knee...but certainly less impact than a run.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 am

SNL wrote:Maybe a rowing machine would help w cardio. I see these used in crossfit.

I petsonally like tectrix machines for low speed but a fast heart rate. Not sure if their ok on your knee...but certainly less impact than a run.
Will have to try one. Planet Fatness has a couple really nice brand new ones. I actually ran 4 miles yesterday. Seems if I run on purely flat pavement and pace by feel I can do some decent distance. Either way I need a cross training plan. This isn't likely my last injury.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 am

The Row Machine is one of my favorite forms of cardio, crank the resistance up to max, set for 5K race and go balls to the wall. It's great cardio, I save it for my Back/Bi or Leg/Shoulders days... it's a good way to polish of the smoke session.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:13 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:The Row Machine is one of my favorite forms of cardio, crank the resistance up to max, set for 5K race and go balls to the wall. It's great cardio, I save it for my Back/Bi or Leg/Shoulders days... it's a good way to polish of the smoke session.
Just to make sure we are on the same page.... You are taking the machine where a cable comes out of a flywheel housing and the seat slides forward and back along a rail?

Sent from an unknown location where I'm hoarding cookies

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 pm

KYgundude wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:The Row Machine is one of my favorite forms of cardio, crank the resistance up to max, set for 5K race and go balls to the wall. It's great cardio, I save it for my Back/Bi or Leg/Shoulders days... it's a good way to polish of the smoke session.
Just to make sure we are on the same page.... You are taking the machine where a cable comes out of a flywheel housing and the seat slides forward and back along a rail?

LOL! That's what I was thinking. If you can go full out on an erg for 5k, you are 10x the man I am
Tench Coxe

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 pm

I'll scope that thing out. Looks way cool

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:11 am

KYgundude wrote:

Yes, the nice one has a little display screen with different setting that monitor speed and etc

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:14 am

DDgunslinger wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Yes, the nice one has a little display screen with different setting that monitor speed and etc
Yeah that's the one! I'll give that thing a try.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 am

PDM wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

LOL! That's what I was thinking. If you can go full out on an erg for 5k, you are 10x the man I am
5k in 24:15 has been by best time with max resistance... Goal is 20min 5k on Max.

-- Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am --
KYgundude wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:
KYgundude wrote:

Yeah that's the one! I'll give that thing a try.

I think I'll be hitting it as well today

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Went to try the rowing machines at Planet Fitness today and SURPRISE. They're gone. According to the staff, PF corporate insisted they be removed as they are not "approved machines"

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:25 pm

The one in lex never had those

Return to “Physical Fitness”