Ruck pack

This forum is for workout plans, fitness challenges, body image changes, and general fitness.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Ruck pack

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm looking to start doing some lite rucking/weighted hiking and working up to some med weight at some point for fitness. I despise running and would like to burn the maximum amount of calories in the least amount of time walking and adding weight does that. That being said, I need a back pack for this. I'll use it only for this so the cheaper the better. Anyone have opinions on a cheap and simple pack with decent straps that hold up for this? A simple single pouch would be fine for this. I'll be using water or sand or something like that for weight.

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Ruck pack

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Alice Pack and a couple bungy cords... best pack ever, at least for the money anyway.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Cool. I just looked and them and some show with a tube frame and some don't. I assume no frame is best for this? Do what with the bungies? Just to stabilize the weight in the pack?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 pm

I'll probably start with around 10-15lbs.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Niceguy wrote:Cool. I just looked and them and some show with a tube frame and some don't. I assume no frame is best for this? Do what with the bungies? Just to stabilize the weight in the pack?
No, you definitely want the frame. The bungies weave into the frame.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:39 pm

ALICE isn't my favorite, but it definitely isn't my least favorite. I wouldn't use it without a frame. Do not get an Army issue MOLLE ruck.

I think the best value ruck out there is the USMC ILBE... NOT the FILBE, which is what the Marines came up with when they decided they needed a shittier ruck like the Army's. The ILBE can be found for anywhere from $30 - $200, depending on where you find it. I bought mine for $50 shipped.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:39 pm

I'll start looking for one. They are pretty all over the place in prices. What does the frame do?

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Man up Whootsi...ALICE is all we had back in the day.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm good with ALICE. I'd have no complaints if that's what I had to use. BUT, given the option, I'd use either an ILBE or a Mystery Ranch ruck, depending on budget.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Whootsinator wrote:I'm good with ALICE. I'd have no complaints if that's what I had to use. BUT, given the option, I'd use either an ILBE or a Mystery Ranch ruck, depending on budget.
He said a good pack on a budget, a Mystery Ranch pack is not exactly budget worthy by most people's standards. Lol

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Holy crap! Yeah, I wouldn't consider those budget packs either...hahaha

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Any suggestions on where to keep an eye out for a deal on the ILBE?

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm going to buck the prevailing opinion and recommend against a framed pack.

Yes, frames can be awesome; they provide airspace between your back and the load, and (more importantly) they shift the load to your pelvis so that it's borne by your legs rather than your shoulders and upper back. But frames aren't a one-size-fits-all affair. I have probably walked a thousand miles with an Army ruck on my back, and most of those miles sucked. I have a disproportionately long torso, so after a half dozen miles or so the pack is trying to either beat me to death (if I loosen the belt) or rub a hole in my flesh (if I cinch it up).

If you're just getting started and won't be carrying more than 25-30 pounds a simple daypack with a flexible framesheet or closed cell foam padding will work just fine. You might want to get one with a sternum strap to take some load off your shoulder joints. An ILBE would be *extreme* overkill for a 15 pound load.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:40 pm

While no expert on military packs, for your load requirements a simple pack should suit you fine. If you can carry a simple pack with 20-30 pounds you are way ahead of me at this current point in my life, hell I have trouble hauling the McDonalds bag my double cheese burger comes in.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:10 am

Yes, a large rucksack like the ILBE or even an ALICE would be overkill for 10-15 pounds, but he said he'd be working up to medium weight. I assume "medium weight" to be about 35 pounds, which would push the limits of comfort in a day pack/assault pack but be just fine in a decent ruck. Like Frailer also mentioned, an old rigid external frame pack like an ALICE won't be especially adjustable to you. It is a fixed length. A modern pack, external frame or internal frame, like the ILBE or even the MOLLE, should be adjustable for torso length.

MR rucks are obviously not budget bags. I meant I'd use an ILBE if on a budget and MR if not on a budget.

I'd look on ebay, craigslist, and ARFCOM for cheap military issue rucks.

samb.

Post by samb. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:17 am

If you are willing to hold off till september when I get home I have a small alice with frame and straps Id let go for $30.

Also new USMC packs are ok but over kill for what you want. Realistically you could pick up either generation of the USMC assault pack and have it do what you want.

Return to “Physical Fitness”