Hiking boots

This forum is for workout plans, fitness challenges, body image changes, and general fitness.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Hiking boots

Post by Niceguy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:51 pm

Maybe not the right spot for this and I know I've seen post about this before. But I'll be damned if I can find them... Feeling a million times better and looking to start some healthy hobbies and hiking seems as good as any. What's everyone like as far as hiking boots go? And where is the best place to look and buy? Flat footed fat guy so has to be good quality sole. I want waterproof, breathable and NOT insulated. Price is not really an issue, but don't want to buy high dollar shit just to buy high dollar shit.

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hiking boots

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Merrell makes a pretty solid hiking boot/shoe and can be bought at most outdoor stores. Salomon also makes a solid boot, but they aren't cheap. Those would be my two recommendations, right off the top of my head.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Merrell Gore-Tex is the best bang for the buck in waterproof hiking
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:07 pm

Merrels are some of the most comfortable boots/shoes I've ever put on my feet. The Waterproof MOAB, short or mid, should cover your bases pretty well.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:14 pm

I got a pair of Cabela's Perfekt Hikers by Meindl and they are the most comfortable footwear I ever owned. Expensive though.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Be sure to check out steepandcheap.com and sierratradingpost.com for deals. Steep and cheap adds new stuff daily.

I've got a pair of Garmont Flash gore-tex boots that I love. Got them from Sierra trading post for like $60 last year. If you buy online I recommend either try to find them in store to try on first or check reviews that will usually tell you if they run a little big or small.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Awesome! I'll check out what Cabelas has tonight and maybe try a few and look online after I know what I like.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:16 pm

richief wrote:I got a pair of Cabela's Perfekt Hikers by Meindl and they are the most comfortable footwear I ever owned. Expensive though.

Meindl are some seriously bad ass boots, I would say best Hiker I ever put my foot in. With that said unless im packing a load IE backpacking, I like a lighter shoe, trail runners. Keen , Salomon, merrel, are great, currently im running Adidas AX 2, they were on special at cabelas for like 70 bucks or around there.

Rescue9
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Rescue9 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Merrels are some of the most comfortable boots/shoes I've ever put on my feet. The Waterproof MOAB, short or mid, should cover your bases pretty well.
This! Especially if you are flat footed.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:05 pm

At 300lbs, I'm always packing a load! haha I'm working on that though. I tried a pair of Saloman boots that I liked. Not sure if I liked them $229 worth, but they were nice. I'm fine with that if it's the best feeling thing I find. They didn't have much option in a mid or high Merrell. I did try a Merrell mid that was okay too. Totally different feel, but okay. I also tried a mid Keen that was nice too. I need to try some of those Meindl also. I need to try some more this weekend, I didn't have much time tonight. Where else in the Louisville area may have a good selection?

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by KYgundude » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:55 pm

I have Timberland Chocoruas. Gortex

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Try the new academy sports

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Shit, I forgot all about them...

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by KYgundude » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:31 pm

BTW Mine are sold at Dicks. Just gave an Amazon link.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:32 pm

I've owned a few pairs of boots in my day. The pair I just got rid of were my REI's. The only reason I retired them after 6 YEARS of use is because they were literally coming apart at the seams. Alaska was their final hiking trip.

I have since bought a pair of Asolo boots and I'm completely in love. The break in period of was minimal, they grip like nobodies business, and they are comfortable for all day hikes.

Joe has a pair of Merrells and he loves them. His pair before that was the male REI version, but those eventually fell apart as well. He was also mean to them at the farm... really mean...
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Return to “Physical Fitness”