Paleo Diet- Get your caveman on!

This forum is for workout plans, fitness challenges, body image changes, and general fitness.
KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 76 times

Paleo Diet- Get your caveman on!

Post by KYgundude » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Started in physical fitness because they say your diet is 80% of the game!

I started yesterday. My initial challenges:
* How can I give up cream and sugar in my morning coffee?
* What will I do for a quick breakfast option, at the office, in lieu of my morning instant oatmeal?
* It's hard to find and afford free range chicken and grass fed meat. Kroger has some options but CHA-CHING. Went to a farmers market today and drew dead on meats.
* Salad dressing. Another challenge. Perhaps something for later. No need to go 100% day one.

The good news is I love to eat the hell out of produce already

Here's the link where I first learned about this diet:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10 ... aleo-diet/

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Paleo Diet- Get your caveman on!

Post by WLJ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:43 pm

On the coffee start slowly lowering the amount of sugar and cream a little bit every day. Trust me, after drinking coffee straight black for a while you won't be able to stand any amount of sugar in your coffee, tastes disgusting.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:47 pm

WLJ wrote:On the coffee start slowly lowering the amount of sugar and cream a little bit every day. Trust me, after drinking coffee straight black for a while you won't be able to stand any amount of sugar in your coffee, tastes disgusting.
Good approach. I'm on it!!

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:55 pm

KYgundude wrote:Started in physical fitness because they say your diet is 80% of the game!

* What will I do for a quick breakfast option, at the office, in lieu of my morning instant oatmeal?
* It's hard to find and afford free range chicken and grass fed meat. Kroger has some options but CHA-CHING. Went to a farmers market today and drew dead on meats.
* Salad dressing. Another challenge. Perhaps something for later. No need to go 100% day one.

Coffee - Suck it up and drink it black as God intended ;)
Breakfast (Quick options) - Hard boiled eggs, paleo friendly fruit/veggie shakes, Banana w/ almond butter
Meats - Organic/free range/grass fed/etc are gonna be expensive. Try to hunt down sales when ya can. Use yours coupons lol Start hunting and stocking your freezer with wild game.
Salad dressings - ditch them for homemade vinaigrette

Hope that helps ya man

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:40 pm

WLJ wrote:On the coffee start slowly lowering the amount of sugar and cream a little bit every day. Trust me, after drinking coffee straight black for a while you won't be able to stand any amount of sugar in your coffee, tastes disgusting.
yep

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:33 pm

May give this a try. Thanks for posting it.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:06 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:
KYgundude wrote:Started in physical fitness because they say your diet is 80% of the game!

Coffee - Suck it up and drink it black as God intended ;)
Breakfast (Quick options) - Hard boiled eggs, paleo friendly fruit/veggie shakes, Banana w/ almond butter
Meats - Organic/free range/grass fed/etc are gonna be expensive. Try to hunt down sales when ya can. Use yours coupons lol Start hunting and stocking your freezer with wild game.
Salad dressings - ditch them for homemade vinaigrette

Hope that helps ya man
I gave vinaigrette a try and have a shaker. Guess we need some recipe threads. So far, every attempt has tasted like castor oil.
One breakfast idea I came up with was take and egg and put it in a tiny microwavable tupperware container with some chopped peppers and onions that's like a buck a bag and then nuke it when I get to work.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:36 pm

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:58 pm

I don't eat much bread or cereals, but I do love some pastas. Not much for vegetables but I can do fruits. Just boiled up some eggs to snack on instead of the chips and stuff.

Cut out sodas a while back and switched to sweet tea. Guess I'll try it unsweetened.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Going to try a new recipe for breakfast at work. I cooked up a pound of grass fed beef with peppers and onions. Put it in a tupperware container. Put a little scoop of that mix in a few tupperware bowls with 2 eggs in each. Get to work, Crack eggs, cover and shake, nuke. I think it's gonna work, LOL

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:17 pm

KYgundude wrote:* What will I do for a quick breakfast option, at the office, in lieu of my morning instant oatmeal?
Stay away from most instant anything period. If you like oatmeal get the real stuff and take the time to cook it, I cook mine in milk, takes about 15-20 minutes on the stove, though you can microwave it if in a hurry, and you won't feel hungry again in 10 minutes like you do with the instant and it tastes a million times better. You actually feel like you actually ate something.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:32 pm

WLJ wrote:
KYgundude wrote:* What will I do for a quick breakfast option, at the office, in lieu of my morning instant oatmeal?
Stay away from most instant anything period. If you like oatmeal get the real stuff and take the time to cook it, I cook mine in milk, takes about 15-20 minutes on the stove, though you can microwave it if in a hurry, and you won't feel hungry again in 10 minutes like you do with the instant and it tastes a million times better. You actually feel like you actually ate something.
Thanks WLJ but this is a no grain diet. Oatmeal is what I was eating. LOL

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 am

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:43 pm

GPtuners wrote:Grass-fed butter in your coffee...

http://nextshark.com/5-reasons-why-ever ... ir-coffee/

I'm already busted from grass fed beef and free range eggs. This morning I cut off the sugar and went just with a packet of nutrisweet (always used half that and half sugar). Wasn't bad. I think I can ween myself off of it and go black coffee by weeks end.

I need Rachel's eggs. Haven't seen any chicken talk in awhile though. Her free range chickens are the real type. They roam free on the gun range. 2a friendly chickens FTW!!

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by irishrob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:30 pm

If u need eggs I usually have a extra dozen or so around here. Free range supplemented with layer pellets. Not organic food but they do free range from sunup to dark. Eat lots of greens & bugs. Off Taylor blvd.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:52 pm

irishrob wrote:If u need eggs I usually have a extra dozen or so around here. Free range supplemented with layer pellets. Not organic food but they do free range from sunup to dark. Eat lots of greens & bugs. Off Taylor blvd.
I might have to take you up on that. 4 bucks for 6 eggs at Whole Foods is weak.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:05 pm

irishrob wrote:If u need eggs I usually have a extra dozen or so around here. Free range supplemented with layer pellets. Not organic food but they do free range from sunup to dark. Eat lots of greens & bugs. Off Taylor blvd.
I need to find someone local with eggs as well. Been eating them as snacks the past couple of days.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by irishrob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 pm

KYgundude wrote: * It's hard to find and afford free range chicken and grass fed meat. Kroger has some options but CHA-CHING. Went to a farmers market today and drew dead on meats.

The good news is I love to eat the hell out of produce /
My brother sells eggs & fresh vegetables at the jtown farmers market. It seems like he may of mentioned someone selling freaks beef there. You could raise your own meat chickens. They are ready to slaughter at about 8 weeks if I remember right.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:12 pm

irishrob wrote:
KYgundude wrote: * It's hard to find and afford free range chicken and grass fed meat. Kroger has some options but CHA-CHING. Went to a farmers market today and drew dead on meats.

The good news is I love to eat the hell out of produce /
My brother sells eggs & fresh vegetables at the jtown farmers market. It seems like he may of mentioned someone selling freaks beef there. You could raise your own meat chickens. They are ready to slaughter at about 8 weeks if I remember right.
There was no meat for sale this week at Jtown :(
As for raising my own chickens, I'm in a condo.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am

KYgundude wrote:Going to try a new recipe for breakfast at work. I cooked up a pound of grass fed beef with peppers and onions. Put it in a tupperware container. Put a little scoop of that mix in a few tupperware bowls with 2 eggs in each. Get to work, Crack eggs, cover and shake, nuke. I think it's gonna work, LOL
How did that work out for you?

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:57 am

rustynuts wrote:
KYgundude wrote:Going to try a new recipe for breakfast at work. I cooked up a pound of grass fed beef with peppers and onions. Put it in a tupperware container. Put a little scoop of that mix in a few tupperware bowls with 2 eggs in each. Get to work, Crack eggs, cover and shake, nuke. I think it's gonna work, LOL
How did that work out for you?
Awesome! Microwave omelet for breakfast. Actually more tasty than the instant oatmeal I was eating last week.

I'm eating as much if not more than I was. Add in the working out and I'm still dropping pounds in the first week. This diet is win so far.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 am

We need a Paleo recipe section. I NEED!!! to start eating healthier also. I'm a late night eater. I've mostly cut that out and trying to totally cut it out.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am

Niceguy wrote:We need a Paleo recipe section. I NEED!!! to start eating healthier also. I'm a late night eater. I've mostly cut that out and trying to totally cut it out.
I'd be down. Got a few to share already. FFs, where can we put that please?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 am

Niceguy wrote:We need a Paleo recipe section. I NEED!!! to start eating healthier also. I'm a late night eater. I've mostly cut that out and trying to totally cut it out.
I try to not buy any snack foods, but then I end up pissed off at night because there is nothing to snack on...lol

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 am

ssracer wrote:
I try to not buy any snack foods, but then I end up pissed off at night because there is nothing to snack on...lol
Cucumber discs stuffed with tuna or salmon. Carrots. Mixed nuts(no peanuts). Cherry tomatoes. Beef jerky. I ordered a dehydrator myself to make grass fed jerky.

Return to “Physical Fitness”