Training Mentality

This forum is for workout plans, fitness challenges, body image changes, and general fitness.
GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Training Mentality

Post by GPtuners » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:23 am

There are plenty of people that like to shoot, and don't even look at firearms as a tool for self defense. ON the other hand, this forum is a good example of people who are training conscious. If you are someone that believes that you should train with, and become proficient with your weapons, do your carry that mentality into your fitness?

I never really have. I know it's useful, but with the exception of Karate, I haven't really done any sort of exercise to compliment my shooting. If I really had to do a self evaluation, I can say I don't have the fitness level to save my own life. I'd have a hard time running away from a situation, lifting something heavy off of me, swimming from the middle of a river, climbing over a wall, or bugging out with a ruck. I'm a pretty efficient standup fighter, but that doesn't really smoke me until it gets down to the ground (it happens).

I started focusing on fitness this weekend. This time I'm going to make it a point to stick to practical skills. I taped some brinks together, and rucked on Saturday and Sunday (less than two miles, carrying 26 pounds of bricks). Funny how sore my ankles got from that.

Here are the pills I made:

I know there are "better" programs out there, but I'm now using CrossFit as my primary form of fitness (started Monday, and also went today). Pullups, and Olympic lifting are staples, and I don't have to come up with anything. I just show up, do the workout, and leave in an hour. I have some befire pictures, so I'm curious how my progress pictures look in say... 60 days. I'm also focusing on diet, so I've started pre-cooking meals:

Too Long; Didn't Read-

Who here trains at PT as hard as they train to shoot?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Training Mentality

Post by justang1997 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:29 am

I don't train as hard as i'd like but I train more often on physical fitness just because it's cheaper.
My workouts consist of:
pushups,
Carrying heavy stuff,
Running 1-3 miles,
squats.

That's all I do and I feel I get pretty good results.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1406644172870.jpg

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 pm

I don't do nearly enough carrying heavy stuff. I feel pretty good lifting, but that short ruck trip made everything hurt.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Anyone who has attended any of the advance courses and even some of the basic ones taught by RWI Tactical knows my stance on this and my lil speech that goes along with it. Physical and Mental training are just as important if not even more so than just firearms training.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Farmers carry is your friend.
I'd suggest starting with 100 paces carrying 1/2 your body weight five sets. So that's 1/4 your body weight per hand.
You would want to work up to 1/2 body weight per hand.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:06 pm

I do P90X 3-4 times a week, run regularly and ruck 6-7 miles with 50lb pack occasionally. I would consider myself pretty fit compared to most.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 am

Mit Frau and I started PT and Diet program a few weeks back. We started out way slow and easy now that we are in our late 50s.
M/W/Fri
1. Mile walk
2. Full body lift (super sets) 3 sets of 10 reps, with a 30 count between sets.
A. military press/shoulder flys/military press
B. lawn mower/back flys/lawn mower
C. push ups
D. CC curls/hammer curls/reg curls
E. arm ext/push backs/ arm ext
F. squats/ wide squats/ extra wide squats
G. Toe raises
T/Th
1. 2 mile walk trying to cut time as we get better in shape
A. going to move to 3 miles in the next week or so.
PT goal is run a 5k and then do a full body lift with moderate weights. Kind of like move too the sound of the guns and then fight when we get there, keeping in mind I am an old mofo now.

We are both down about 15 lbs and looking forward to PTing now and to me needing and wanting to PT again is over half the battle.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:50 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406724641.132584.jpg

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Nice Dash- that's a bit of everything. Good for you getting back into it, too.

Anyone want to argue why you don't need to be in shape? :llama:

Return to “Physical Fitness”