The AK-47 and all variants therein.
renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

AK vs SKS

Post by renovatio » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

I posted this in KFA before the great exodus and didn't get much response except from Wash and Todd. All I have right now are .22s and handguns- this would be my first "real" rifle. Planning on using it primarily to deer hunt, also as a cost effective HD gun that I can afford to keep 1000 rds on hand for. I'd like to hear actual pros and cons from people that have owned both rifles.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: AK vs SKS

Post by KYgundude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:49 pm

I say AK over SKS. I had an SKS first and it's a great gun but the AK is more fun.

As for the AR, it's also a good route to go. You just gotta decide which you like better. I want both.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm

The SKS is over priced nowdays. People are paying way more then what the value of the gun should be. If I could find a Norinco or Yugo for under $225, I might pick it up. Of course the Russians are $400+ because of collectiblity and hard to find now. If you can find a decent AK under $600 and a 5 rd mag for hunting, you cant go wrong there either. Some of the newer AK's use American barrels that have better accuracy then some of the older kit build AK's. I havent tryed mine out yet but its got the Earl Shaw match grade barrel. Im curious to see how well it does. Like Coach said, an AR can fit your need as well.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I would say AK over SKS for HD

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm

I have had 15 or so SKS's over the last few years, I have never had an issue out of any of them and honestly if I could pick up an SKS for a reasonable price now I would grab another one. (sold all of mine when I became unemployed in 2010).. To me there is not a whole lot of difference in AK vs SK other than mag size. Both shoot the same round, both are easy to maintain, both are reliable and I have had no accuracy problems out of either so it comes down to personal choice on which one feels better to you.
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

thoricuncle

Post by thoricuncle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:25 pm

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 and love it. However, I do find that I shoot better with an SKS. I believe it is due to the longer barrel.

I resolve this argument using the logic I resolve most gun vs gun arguments....get both!

dannyr
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dannyr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:09 pm

old thread but i will throw mine in anyway don't like sks never did i do however love the ak and if in dire situation would grab it before grabbed my colt or my rra ar i just like the ak better more power
"A free people aught ...to be armed ..."
George Washington 1790

ApexCypher

Post by ApexCypher » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Well if your allowed only one it really depends on what your going to use it for? The SKS is just a tad more accuratewhere the AK is a tad more reliable and more "tactically" correct. However you can now purchase a Marcus Mag Adapter which basically adds an AR lower onto your SKS which allows you to use x39 AR mags. Also gives you an AR style mag release and mag well. You would also have to do the drop free mod on the SKS also but thats simple. For hunting I would say SKS over the AK but if your wanting a no frills utterly reliable "tactical" rifle I would invest in a nice AK. However the mods that can be done to an SKS could make it a heavy contender. I would suggest find a friend who has an AK and shoot it. The AKs have some pretty hagard factory sight and a short LOP. Both can be purchased aftermarket to correct said problems. I would do some serious research thou because about 6 months ago I found a nice Norinco SKS with a Williams peep sight and 650 rounds of steel core for $175.

Harleyx2
KAC Member
KAC Member

AKorAR i would the AK for SHTF owning both thats just me her

Post by Harleyx2 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Return to “AK-47”