PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Best AK manufacturer?

Post by PDM » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Holy thread resurrection!
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 pm

PDM wrote:Jim Fuller makes the absolute best AK's, but if you are in the same "can't afford a Rifle Dynamics" boat as me, then the Century C39 is one heck of a bargain. As soon as the C39 v2 drops, I'm jumping on one.

my post was sarcasm....hence :llama:

I wouldn't trust Century to lick a stamp right

jdf747emt
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by jdf747emt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:55 pm

I have owned cheap to expensive, I have professional built AKs and off the shelf, the best off the shelf that you can depend on is the Arsenal, the barrel is hammer forged and chrome lined, so it will take abuse, the receiver is more than just milled, it is hammer forged also, which means pound for pound its a better steel than other milled rifles, milled rifles are heavier, but are more soldier proof. I use them in training a few times at RWI training and they have not let me down, they hit harder than the 223/5.56, they also make rifles in 5.45x39 if you wish, shame they outlawed the cheap surplus Russian ammo in that caliber. If your lucky you can find a good used one and pay no more than what you would pay for a middle of the road AK. with this information you can look at reviews and decide what you need.
Creed of Platoon 1007, B Compnay, 1st Bat. Parris Island 1978 April 24. When your hot your hot, if not your dead.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Didn't a member here have some trouble with an arsenal? Not saying the others don't have issues (they do) but for the money you'd expect them to be top notch. I think it was a trigger pin had been wallered out and then arsenal wouldn't fix it. They opted to replace it. That sounds great until you remember you already have forms in the mail to SBR it. I've had about six AKs over the years. My pap pistol is great... My wasrs are ok. They go bang but have canted sights (one has perfect sights)... I had an m+m arms and it was great with a chrome lined barrel but some mags wouldn't lock in... my waffen works is great... I never could justify spending the extra money for an arsenal when the one sitting next to is much cheaper and basically functions all the same. I say pick your poison.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Waffle Worx no way I would rather have C-39

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:53 pm

WW started smoking meth and their quality tanked.

jdf747emt
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by jdf747emt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Arsenal also has a spring loaded firing pin, at least most of them, this helps prevent slam fires and I have witnessed one and I will never forget it, it was on a Maddi in the early 90's I think, the receiver cover blew off, spring went flying and the stamped receiver blew out from the pressure, actually kinked the receiver. Apparently the guy just got it and never cleaned out the dried grease in the bolt. I have owned a bunch of arsenals never had a problem.
Creed of Platoon 1007, B Compnay, 1st Bat. Parris Island 1978 April 24. When your hot your hot, if not your dead.

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 am

1fastmach1 wrote:Didn't a member here have some trouble with an arsenal? Not saying the others don't have issues (they do) but for the money you'd expect them to be top notch. I think it was a trigger pin had been wallered out and then arsenal wouldn't fix it. They opted to replace it. That sounds great until you remember you already have forms in the mail to SBR it. I've had about six AKs over the years. My pap pistol is great... My wasrs are ok. They go bang but have canted sights (one has perfect sights)... I had an m+m arms and it was great with a chrome lined barrel but some mags wouldn't lock in... my waffen works is great... I never could justify spending the extra money for an arsenal when the one sitting next to is much cheaper and basically functions all the same. I say pick your poison.
yeah I had trouble with a slr104ur and also a while back had trouble with the slr106fr but I've only had bad luck wit the Bulgarian ones. I used to had a Russian one and it never give me any troubles but again never had any trouble from the wasr 10 I had either. I personally would never buy another arsenal just because of the issues I had. If I were to buy today I'd look for the new DDI (destructive device inc) they are reasonably priced and look to be well built but again there a new company so who knows.

Sent from somewhere over yonder.
SI JE PUIS

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:37 am

I have never had any trouble out of any AK I ever owned (spanning many makers) and that's quite a few. Only problem I had was the one I bought that the previous owner had put back together incorrectly and left a spring out of.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:49 am

Don't overlook local manufacturers and builders either. I have a Southern Armament built Romanian Ak that has been great.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:01 am

Niceguy wrote:Don't overlook local manufacturers and builders either. I have a Southern Armament built Romanian Ak that has been great.
And a sponser here

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:09 pm

the original poster hasn't been on the forum for 2 1/2 years.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Eh, good info is good info regardless of whom it helps.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Return to “AK-47”