The AK-47 and all variants therein.
Shineybore
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Why does Century mill the mag well out?

Post by Shineybore » Sat May 26, 2012 12:07 pm

New at AK's, I was reading about Century Arms WASR Romanian 10/63's and says they mill out the mag well? When you get one you need to clean the reciever very good to get all the metal shavings out. Is this something done because of import laws or an upgrade to accept any kind of magazine? Thanks....

BTW, I was looking at a friends WASR and there was a metal bracket looking chunk of steel on the side of the tecievet. He asked if I knew what it was. Anyone care to share.

Lots of questions about AK's. His muzzle break looks sideways. I asked about that and he said the 5 the store had everyone was like that.

Thanks fellas. After molesting his Romanian AK I'm getting the itch. BTW, its of age I believe it was born 1985.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Re: Why does Century mill the mag well out?

Post by Wyldman » Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 pm

WASR's were built to accept only 10rd magazines by treaty (look up WASR in Google, that'll explain that stupidity!). When CAI imported them, they open up the magwell to accept a proper 30rd magazine. If they didn't do this, not many people would want them, at least not in the free states (like here).

That metal bracket is there to stabilize the magazine and reduce wobble (supposedly). Do not take it out!

The muzzle brake is tilted like that to counter the natural tendancy of a right handed shooter to repond to the recoil by pulling the muzzle up and to the right, especially under full auto fire (even though these are semi-auto only).

You'd better scratch that itch soon because prices are going up, quickly.

You'll also want to look up the 922r federal regs before changing ANYTHING on a WASR.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:48 pm

That bracket looking gizmo is the scope rail.
So night vision, optics, or scopes can be attached to rifle.

Shineybore
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Shineybore » Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks fellas, I need to start looking hard. I think your right on about the price going to go up. Election year, if it's like last time shelves will be bare.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Why does Century mill the mag well out?

..because there are chimpanzees that need a job.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue May 29, 2012 10:50 pm

There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 pm

There have been times that I've seen two of the same model gun from century side by side and one will look like a master gunsmith did the work and the the other like the three stooges did....... while drunk. The point is never buy a century without inspecting it first.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Post by wash » Wed May 30, 2012 12:35 am

WASR FTW! OP's questions already answered above so I figured I'd throw that in for good measure.
:llama:

Shineybore
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Shineybore » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks all!!
Sure I'm gonna have more questions.
I'm getting closer to joining the AK bandwagon.

Return to “AK-47”