The AK-47 and all variants therein.
ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

AK knowledge wanted

Post by ssracer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am

So I’ve gone back and forth over the years on maybe picking up an AK47. Never owned one. Only shot a couple. I know prices on them have gotten a lot higher and I should have bought one 10 years ago.

Basically I know AR’s and most of their manufacturers like the back of my hand. But when it comes to AKs I know jack shit about them as far as what to look for. I’ve seen some of the recent posts about newer models with all kinds of issues.

So if I go shopping for one, what do I need to pay attention to? What brands are typically better than others? Which ones should be avoided at all cost?

Still not sure I’m going to get one, but in the event I decide to, I’d like to be a little more informed about what I’m buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: AK knowledge wanted

Post by WLJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:20 am

Off the top of my head
Good
Vepr
Converted Saiga (But who did the conversion and how can change that)
Arsenal
Definitive Arms

Note: both the Veprs and the Saigas are getting harder to get due to import bans

Bad
Century (There are some good Centurys out there but any Century product is a throw of the dice)
IO
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:29 am

Meridian
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Rifle dynamics
DDI
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

1fastmach1
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by 1fastmach1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:51 pm

I just bought an Arsenal and it’s tits.

I did tons of research and had the opportunity to save a few bucks and go with a century or Riley defense but ultimately decided to go with the Arsenal. I’m glad I did.

Google ak47 operators union and view their blog. They have tested just about every offering currently on the market. It’s a great place to start.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Crazy times when you can buy a decent AR for less than half that of a decent AK.
Last edited by WLJ on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:54 pm

WLJ wrote:Crazy times when you can buy a decent AR for less then half of a decent AK.
I know right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:06 pm

:lol:
Marcus wrote:Meridian

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 pm

You probably can't find a better guy to deal with than Rob from Southern Armorment. Hell of a good guy and damn good product. I assume he's still doing the AK thing. Coating work was done by Devin (Armorhyde). S.A. receiver, 1964 Romanian kit from Copes and built by Rob. I won the receiver from the 1st or 2nd KAC shoot. Image

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:14 am

My vintage 90’s AK knowledge says Polytech for basic quality AK, either pre 94 or the polytech sporter after 94. I have a century wasr10 that is straight as an arrow and accurate, but goon dremmeled out the mag well so mag rattles, but doesnt effect reliability one bit. I am lucky to have a decent century, but their are a few out there, i wouldnt have ventured buying a century except i got to know this one as gtg and got it from a friend.

Return to “AK-47”