Looking for a replacement hammer for a friend's Mak-90

The AK-47 and all variants therein.
adayton
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Looking for a replacement hammer for a friend's Mak-90

Post by adayton » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a hammer laying around that they may have taken off an AK when replacing with G2 or some other FCG ... I have a buddy that his Mak-90 quit cycling for some reason ...
Well, when I opened it up, I saw what the issue was ... The end of the hammer just broke off where it contacts the reset ... so it fires 1 round ... ejects it and feeds the next round ... and the hammer just follows the bolt right back to the firing pin ... (not with enough force, mind you, to set off the next round) ... so I pulled out my AK parts and have a full auto hammer from a romy G parts kit that I built a few years ago and I am sure it would fit... it just is in such poor shape that I decided to go for something better ...
I found some hammers online at Apex, KVar, etc. running anywhere from 4-10 dollars (plus shipping) and I can get a Tapco G2 double hook FCG for around $30 plus shipping, but thought I would check here first and see if anyone has one just laying around ...
If you do, let me know what you would like for it ... and maybe a pic of it, too ...
Thanx,
Allan

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Looking for a replacement hammer for a friend's Mak-90

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:06 pm

adayton wrote:Just wondering if anyone has a hammer laying around that they may have taken off an AK when replacing with G2 or some other FCG ... I have a buddy that his Mak-90 quit cycling for some reason ...
Well, when I opened it up, I saw what the issue was ... The end of the hammer just broke off where it contacts the reset ... so it fires 1 round ... ejects it and feeds the next round ... and the hammer just follows the bolt right back to the firing pin ... (not with enough force, mind you, to set off the next round) ... so I pulled out my AK parts and have a full auto hammer from a romy G parts kit that I built a few years ago and I am sure it would fit... it just is in such poor shape that I decided to go for something better ...
I found some hammers online at Apex, KVar, etc. running anywhere from 4-10 dollars (plus shipping) and I can get a Tapco G2 double hook FCG for around $30 plus shipping, but thought I would check here first and see if anyone has one just laying around ...
If you do, let me know what you would like for it ... and maybe a pic of it, too ...
Thanx,
Allan
pretty cheap and always good for spare parts

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/PK0001.aspx

adayton

Post by adayton » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Hey Dave ... I appreciate the suggestion... I actually hadn't thought of them, but I'll probably give them a try.
I know it was a stretch, but thought someone on here might have one laying around ...
I may just use the one that I have, but it is pretty beat up ... The parts kit is marked 1979, so it probably has seen some use ...
Thanx,
Allan

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:08 pm

I have one somewhere allan and you would be welcome to it but given that I can't find a few guns in my house right now, I am not sure what my luck would be in finding that hammer in a haystack :? :?

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:44 pm

I can look I my parts when I get back to town if you still need one.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:46 pm

111 used to stock the Tapco ones for as good a price as most online when I bought mine. They may still, not sure.

adayton

Post by adayton » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:18 am

Dave1965 wrote:I have one somewhere allan and you would be welcome to it but given that I can't find a few guns in my house right now, I am not sure what my luck would be in finding that hammer in a haystack :? :?
Haha ... I was just talking to a member the other day ... when he came over to get an upper replaced on an old Colt AR ... and he mentioned not being able to find a couple guns as well ... must be some of that going around ... lol
To be honest, sometimes I make a trade or deal that I just plain 'forget about' and end up scratching my head for a while until I figger it out ... (old age is the culprit for me ... lol)
Thanx Dave ... I appreciate that ...
I talked to my friend and he doesn't mind ponying up the 30 bucks or so for a new Tapco replacement ...
Think that's the way I'll go. It'll be better in the long run ...
Now, I just need to 'show' him how to clean his guns ... This one's filthy ... :(

adayton

Post by adayton » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:19 am

guncrank1 wrote:I can look I my parts when I get back to town if you still need one.
Hey Cranky... I decided to go with a new replacement at the owner's expense ... I figger that's the best way to go anyway ...
Thanx so much for the offer ... I do appreciate it ...

adayton

Post by adayton » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:16 am

Dave1965 wrote:
adayton wrote:Just wondering if anyone has a hammer laying around that they may have taken off an AK when replacing with G2 or some other FCG ... I have a buddy that his Mak-90 quit cycling for some reason ...
Thanx,
Allan

So.....This is what I went with ... and if you check out the link, it shows five pieces of AK parts that could fail and need replacement ... cool.... I guess that's what they mean as "5-pack" ... (and they had another 5-pack listed as well with some slightly different parts) ... so I ordered it thinking "this makes the most sense because a FCG from brownell's or Apex or some place like that is going to be $25-30 plus shipping. (BTW, Centerfire has a $10 flat rate for shipping) ... so it came to a little under $20.00 for the part I needed, but I will have some other 'spare parts' as well...
When it got here, it was in a box that weighed 2.5 lbs ... and I think "that's weird" ... and open it up to find that 'five-pack' meant 5 of each part that was pictured for $9.95 ... What a deal!!! Now I have lots and lots of spares... so keep me in mind if you need any of those parts :D and chalk one up for Centerfire Systems ... !!!!!

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:40 am

adayton wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
Thanx,
Allan

So.....This is what I went with ... and if you check out the link, it shows five pieces of AK parts that could fail and need replacement ... cool.... I guess that's what they mean as "5-pack" ... (and they had another 5-pack listed as well with some slightly different parts) ... so I ordered it thinking "this makes the most sense because a FCG from brownell's or Apex or some place like that is going to be $25-30 plus shipping. (BTW, Centerfire has a $10 flat rate for shipping) ... so it came to a little under $20.00 for the part I needed, but I will have some other 'spare parts' as well...
When it got here, it was in a box that weighed 2.5 lbs ... and I think "that's weird" ... and open it up to find that 'five-pack' meant 5 of each part that was pictured for $9.95 ... What a deal!!! Now I have lots and lots of spares... so keep me in mind if you need any of those parts :D and chalk one up for Centerfire Systems ... !!!!!
Yes when they say a five or 10 pack, you get Five or Ten of the pictured item.

Right now they have 5 pack of AK mag pouches for $10. May pick up one next time I am over there. I don't know that I need five but since it is the price that you might pay for one, I guess I don't mind the freebies.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Cool pretty good deal

Return to “AK-47”