Till
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Knowledge me!

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Hook me up!

I'm thinking about getting ....well I will be getting a AK but what kind?

I want a nicer AK, preferably wooden. A good one that will fire no matter what kinda like my glock!

So whats a good one and a good price?

Also difference between ak47 and ak74 I think I know but just want to verify. The 74 is a smaller bullet right?

Thanks guys!
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Knowledge me!

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 pm

AK-47 - 7.62x39
AK-74 - 5.45x39 (standard issue for Soviet/Russian most former Warsaw pact since 1974)

AKs can also be gotten in .223/5.56. Larger rifles based on the AK-47/74 can be gotten in .308/7.62x51 & 7.62x54R
Last edited by WLJ on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm

"can be gotten..."

English teachers all over the country just heard fingernails running across a chalkboard and are writhing on the floor in pain.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:09 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:"can be gotten..."

English teachers all over the country just heard fingernails running across a chalkboard and are writhing on the floor in pain.
Was thinking along those lines after I realized how I wrote it. Screw it.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh, and the English teachers I had deserve the fingernail treatment.

P.S. It's only Till's thread anyway. :llama:

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Ok so I want to shoot a lot, which one is cheaper to shoot? Also only shooting out to 100 yards.
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 pm

TroyBuilt wrote:Ok so I want to shoot a lot, which one is cheaper to shoot? Also only shooting out to 100 yards.
Surplus 5.45 can had dirt cheap at the moment.

Up to 200 yards I doubt you'll notice much different in the rounds with an AK. Most of the different you'll notice will depend on the rifle itself. After 200 yards both the 5.56 and 5.45 are considered the better rounds until you reach 600 yards, at which point the 7.62x51 and 7.62X54r take over. Although 5.56 is used in 1,000 yard matches using ARs.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:37 pm

So a Ak 5.45 would be a good choice? You say at the moment, does it spike a lot or?

Sorry not trying to be dumb just dont want to jump into something without knowing about it ya know.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 pm

How does 12.9 cents a round sound for 5.45?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=33

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I have no idea how that sounds haha, I just buy ammo when everyone says its a cheap price. Mainly 9mm

I'm guessing that is a good price though!

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm

5.45x39 = $129/1000
7.62x39 = $230/1000
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Current Aim surplus prices

All steel case
Surplus 5.45 - 12.9 cents per rd
Wolf 7.62x39 - 21
Wolf 223 - 21

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:46 pm

kyswede wrote:5.45x39 = $129/1000
7.62x39 = $230/1000

Now THAT makes sense to me!!!

Gotcha so its good out to 100 yards? Thats all I need, now next.

Which one to buy? I'm sure there are a lot of different makers....

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:46 pm

WLJ wrote:Current Aim surplus prices

All steel case
Surplus 5.45 - 12.9 cents per rd
Wolf 7.62x39 - 21
Wolf 223 - 21

Gotcha!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:52 pm

TroyBuilt wrote:
kyswede wrote:5.45x39 = $129/1000
7.62x39 = $230/1000

Now THAT makes sense to me!!!

Gotcha so its good out to 100 yards? Thats all I need, now next.

Which one to buy? I'm sure there are a lot of different makers....
100 yards is nothing to all these rounds.
Both 5.56 and 5.45 are considered accurate and deadly to 600 yards depending on the wind. Just don't expect AR accuracy out of an AK.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm

I do not expect awesome accuracy thanks for the heads up though.

How far is it accurate though?

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Newer AKS have better barrels (in most cases) and are more accurate then the originals.
Mine has an Earl Shaw match grade barrel.
I prefer the 7.62x39 round myself.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:58 pm

TroyBuilt wrote:I do not expect awesome accuracy thanks for the heads up though.

How far is it accurate though?

That will depend on the gun, but most AKs will do 2 to 3 MOA. By comparison an AR worth it's salt will do 1 MOA or better. Warning, some hack builds may be lucky to get it on paper.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Honesty, you would probably be happy with ether 5.45 or 7.62 if just range shooting although the Soviets considered the 5.45 the more lethal of the two, they developed it after seeing the 5.56 and I guess you could call it a copy. The Chinese have dropped the 7.62x39 in favor of the 5.8. There's a lot more to wound ballistics than just bullet size.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Honestly she will be a range shooter, maybe a truck gun now and again.

Maybe a SHTF gun, I dunno.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I run ARs , not because I belive they are so much superior to the AK, that whole debate is a bunch of BS , but because I have them and darn near nothing else. Now even being a 5.56 shooter I will tell you that hands down the 5.45x39 or AK74 round as its issued for combat is a much better round then the 5.56 or the 7.62x39. If it was it a platform such as the AR that many people use for long range (note I said the people use not better suited) then im sure hand loaded rounds would be as capable at range as hand loaded 5.56 but its short range abilities would leave the most die hard ar guy with his mouth open. The AK74 kicks like a baby and with a red dot sight and quality trigger I can actually shoot the 74 faster then I can the AR, if I was to ever expand my combat longarms I would without a doubt run the AK74.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:43 pm

TroyBuilt wrote:I have no idea how that sounds haha, I just buy ammo when everyone says its a cheap price. Mainly 9mm

I'm guessing that is a good price though!
Math teachers all over the country just heard fingernails running across a chalkboard and are writhing on the floor in pain.

:llama:

mtmetzger
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by mtmetzger » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:01 am

I'm really digging my AMD-65. Well I was anyway... until I just saw the price difference in 5.45 and 7.62. Dang! You guys are going to make me get an ak74. Another bonus of AK74 is that you can share a suppressor with the 5.56.... I guess It's time to find a nice 74 now.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 am

Now I'm sitting here thinking, would it be worth while to get a AR 5.45 upper? 12.9 cents per round sounds good.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:51 pm

For what it would cost, you can get an AK for less. The tapered cartridge can cause feed & extraction problems with the AR bolt.

My .02 worth, FWIW.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Return to “AK-47”